• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Broken Crackers

weinoo

Don't you hate when you open a new box of crackers and half of them are broken?

I sure do.

But what do you do with them? Do you put them out with the unbroken ones on a cheese platter? Or do you just guiltily stand there in the kitchen scarfing them down?

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I eat the broken ones myself. One time, though, I was so p.o. at the number of broken ones I took them back to the store and got a refund. They weren't worth much, but it was the principle of the thing.

• Like 1

Well I think it all depends on what shape they're broken into. If they're broken into triangles, little squares, and/or rectangles, they can present a very artistic alternative to a platter of crackers that all have the same boring shape. But if they're broken into little itsy bitsy crumby crumbs, then obviously they have no use. Unless, of course, you use them as crumbs. That is always an option.

• Like 1

I prefer to rattle them, gently...

If you listen closely, as you sway the box, ever so gently to your ear, the crumbs rattling around will make a distinct noise...from which one can discern the ratio of cracker to crumb.

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

Depending on the cracker, I use them as I would breadcrumbs. If they have wheat, and therefore gluten, in them, I use them as a binder in falafel, tofu balls, etc., a gratin topping, or as a breading for fried foods.

Yes, what Lisa and others said...breadcrumb/coating.

Also, you could save them for the next time you have soup or chili where you'll crumble the crackers anyway.

Yeah, that's it. They're not broken crackers...they're pre-crumbled crackers. :wink:

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Have you tried my mom's mac and cheese? The crackers are the only edible part.

I'd rather eat the stuff in the box, while its still in the box.....

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...