• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Super Bowl 2014 -- Feast mode!

teapot

So excited that our Seattle Seahawks are in the Super Bowl this year! What are people making? Any Seahawk fans planning a Seattle-inspired menu? One that doesn't involve any last minute cooking?

I'm making sourdough bread and bacon/onion jam to go with someone's beef tenderloin. To bring in some Seattle touches, we'll have smoked salmon, a Northwest berry cobbler. And as a nod to Seahawk colors: blue corn chips and guacamole.

There'll be IPAs of course (Seattle's a very hopped up city)but I'm also trying to come up with a clever cocktail - or hawktail (I've thought of making blue rock candy to use as a sugar rim on a sage margarita).

• Like 1

Woot! We're hosting a small gathering this year, half a dozen people, only cuz the Seahawks are in.

I think I'm going to make a chili as the main dish and throw some coffee in there. Maybe gyoza or teriyaki wings. Smoked salmon or shrimp cocktail. I still need a veg salad - probably Caesar salad.

For drinks, Northwest-style pale ale (it'll be local B.C. micro, though) and I dunno...margarita with blue curacao??? Starbucks coffee with dessert?

• Like 1

Are you gonna make Seachicken wings? :raz:

Seriously though, I don't have a dog in this years fight but it's football so I'll be watching. Haven't decided on the food yet. I tend to keep my football food to beer and stuff that can sit around on plates to be eaten as desired but I'm trying to convince myself to do a little more this time.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I am not doing anything for the super bowl or probably even watching it but, I have been having an urge to make Taquitos lately. This would be a good super bowl dish.

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Broncos fan as well, because I am a Tennessean and Peyton Manning is Da Man. Munchy stuff at my house for three or four of us. Beer candied bacon. Fingerling potatoes topped with cream cheese and caviar. A big loaf of rye bread with pastrami and cheese baked inside it, and maybe some red cabbage on the side. Something sweet, yet to be determined.

Nobody gives a rat about the ballgame but me, but they'll all eat the goodies.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

So Broncos fans, I'm trying to think of any food that Denver is known for ... rocky mountain oysters?

Hmmmm…..good question! Here I was just trying to think of some blue and orange foods I could make :) First thing that comes to mind is a Denver omelette. Oh and Fat Tire beer is brewed there, I believe. I'll keep thinking. OH and I'll ask mom, she still lives in Colorado.

So Broncos fans, I'm trying to think of any food that Denver is known for ... rocky mountain oysters?

Hmmmm…..good question! Here I was just trying to think of some blue and orange foods I could make :) First thing that comes to mind is a Denver omelette. Oh and Fat Tire beer is brewed there, I believe. I'll keep thinking. OH and I'll ask mom, she still lives in Colorado.

Spanish tortilla-style Denver omelette, maybe? Put it on slices of baguette?

• Like 1

No plans for a party at my house. BUT planning to make something for GREAT nextdoor neighbor who ALWAYS rescues me when we get snow! He NICELY yells at me to go back inside when I come out with snow shovel & flat out refuses any monetary payment... even for his boys who he puts to work! Have made pepperoni bread in past... a HIT! Made a riff on that with "taco" bread. Maybe a big fat muffaletta sandwich... for the sports fans!?!

• Like 2

Maybe a big fat muffaletta sandwich... for the sports fans!?!

That's something I haven't had in a long time... might have to think about doing that myself.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Have made pepperoni bread in past... a HIT! Made a riff on that with "taco" bread. Maybe a big fat muffaletta sandwich... for the sports fans!?!

I'm making bacon levain from "Flour, Water, Yeast, Salt".

• Like 1

No plans for a party at my house. BUT planning to make something for GREAT nextdoor neighbor who ALWAYS rescues me when we get snow! He NICELY yells at me to go back inside when I come out with snow shovel & flat out refuses any monetary payment... even for his boys who he puts to work! Have made pepperoni bread in past... a HIT! Made a riff on that with "taco" bread. Maybe a big fat muffaletta sandwich... for the sports fans!?!

I think a muffaletta sounds like the perfect thing!!!! I wish you were my neighbor :)

• Like 2

You could always make a Pueblo Slopper, that's close enough to Denver. I was thinking of making some Slopper sliders.

Double fry chicken wings, lil smokies are one the menu as well.

Thanks for the slopper reminder stckciv, best thing to eat in Colorado, pity anyone who hasn't had the pleasure.

Pueblo's two hours away so I don't get down to Gray's Tavern often, and my attempts at replicating the chili have never come close.

But, Kenji has done his Kenji thing with it, so I'm going to give it another try for the stuporbowl. Here's the link for anyone else so inclined:

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/02/the-burger-lab-the-pueblo-slopper-and-how-to-make-pueblo-green-chili-colorado.html

• Like 1

You see this everywhere if you Google, "Americans to Eat 1.25 Billion Chicken Wings for Super Bowl XLVIII"

So that works out to be 337 wings per person, new borne babies included? May be my abacus needs new batteries.

dcarch