• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

teapot

Super Bowl 2014 -- Feast mode!

So excited that our Seattle Seahawks are in the Super Bowl this year! What are people making? Any Seahawk fans planning a Seattle-inspired menu? One that doesn't involve any last minute cooking?

I'm making sourdough bread and bacon/onion jam to go with someone's beef tenderloin. To bring in some Seattle touches, we'll have smoked salmon, a Northwest berry cobbler. And as a nod to Seahawk colors: blue corn chips and guacamole.

There'll be IPAs of course (Seattle's a very hopped up city)but I'm also trying to come up with a clever cocktail - or hawktail (I've thought of making blue rock candy to use as a sugar rim on a sage margarita).

• Like 1

Woot! We're hosting a small gathering this year, half a dozen people, only cuz the Seahawks are in.

I think I'm going to make a chili as the main dish and throw some coffee in there. Maybe gyoza or teriyaki wings. Smoked salmon or shrimp cocktail. I still need a veg salad - probably Caesar salad.

For drinks, Northwest-style pale ale (it'll be local B.C. micro, though) and I dunno...margarita with blue curacao??? Starbucks coffee with dessert?

• Like 1

Are you gonna make Seachicken wings? :raz:

Seriously though, I don't have a dog in this years fight but it's football so I'll be watching. Haven't decided on the food yet. I tend to keep my football food to beer and stuff that can sit around on plates to be eaten as desired but I'm trying to convince myself to do a little more this time.

I am not doing anything for the super bowl or probably even watching it but, I have been having an urge to make Taquitos lately. This would be a good super bowl dish.

Huge Broncos fan here!!!! I'm brining a chicken tonight to make fried chicken. That's as far as I've gotten. It's just two of us, but I'm going to make a ton of food and cheer my team on :)

Broncos fan as well, because I am a Tennessean and Peyton Manning is Da Man. Munchy stuff at my house for three or four of us. Beer candied bacon. Fingerling potatoes topped with cream cheese and caviar. A big loaf of rye bread with pastrami and cheese baked inside it, and maybe some red cabbage on the side. Something sweet, yet to be determined.

Nobody gives a rat about the ballgame but me, but they'll all eat the goodies.

• Like 3

So Broncos fans, I'm trying to think of any food that Denver is known for ... rocky mountain oysters?

• Like 2

So Broncos fans, I'm trying to think of any food that Denver is known for ... rocky mountain oysters?

Hmmmm…..good question! Here I was just trying to think of some blue and orange foods I could make :) First thing that comes to mind is a Denver omelette. Oh and Fat Tire beer is brewed there, I believe. I'll keep thinking. OH and I'll ask mom, she still lives in Colorado.

Coors

available everywhere Beer is Sold.

from Golden, CO just a hike north of denver.

Hmmmm…..good question! Here I was just trying to think of some blue and orange foods I could make :) First thing that comes to mind is a Denver omelette. Oh and Fat Tire beer is brewed there, I believe. I'll keep thinking. OH and I'll ask mom, she still lives in Colorado.

Spanish tortilla-style Denver omelette, maybe? Put it on slices of baguette?

• Like 1

You could always make a Pueblo Slopper, that's close enough to Denver. I was thinking of making some Slopper sliders.

Double fry chicken wings, lil smokies are one the menu as well.

• Like 2

"Rocky Mountains High" brownies? Red River chili? John Denver milk punch? Colorado basically means "red", so make of that what you will! %)

• Like 2

Rooting for the Seahawks here! Definitely going for chicken wings with some awesome sauce! Super Bowl NEEDS chicken wings!

don't you NE folks have

Red Hook ?

one might might develop a thirst ??

a loosing thirst ???

No plans for a party at my house. BUT planning to make something for GREAT nextdoor neighbor who ALWAYS rescues me when we get snow! He NICELY yells at me to go back inside when I come out with snow shovel & flat out refuses any monetary payment... even for his boys who he puts to work! Have made pepperoni bread in past... a HIT! Made a riff on that with "taco" bread. Maybe a big fat muffaletta sandwich... for the sports fans!?!

• Like 2

Maybe a big fat muffaletta sandwich... for the sports fans!?!

That's something I haven't had in a long time... might have to think about doing that myself.

• Like 1

Have made pepperoni bread in past... a HIT! Made a riff on that with "taco" bread. Maybe a big fat muffaletta sandwich... for the sports fans!?!

I'm making bacon levain from "Flour, Water, Yeast, Salt".

• Like 1

No plans for a party at my house. BUT planning to make something for GREAT nextdoor neighbor who ALWAYS rescues me when we get snow! He NICELY yells at me to go back inside when I come out with snow shovel & flat out refuses any monetary payment... even for his boys who he puts to work! Have made pepperoni bread in past... a HIT! Made a riff on that with "taco" bread. Maybe a big fat muffaletta sandwich... for the sports fans!?!

I think a muffaletta sounds like the perfect thing!!!! I wish you were my neighbor :)

• Like 2

You could always make a Pueblo Slopper, that's close enough to Denver. I was thinking of making some Slopper sliders.

Double fry chicken wings, lil smokies are one the menu as well.

Thanks for the slopper reminder stckciv, best thing to eat in Colorado, pity anyone who hasn't had the pleasure.

Pueblo's two hours away so I don't get down to Gray's Tavern often, and my attempts at replicating the chili have never come close.

But, Kenji has done his Kenji thing with it, so I'm going to give it another try for the stuporbowl. Here's the link for anyone else so inclined:

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/02/the-burger-lab-the-pueblo-slopper-and-how-to-make-pueblo-green-chili-colorado.html

• Like 1

Perfect mashup: Cannabis smoked salmon.

You know it's done when it's "flakey"

• Like 2

I picked up a bag of Rancho Gordo Yellow Eyed beans.recently. Time to do something wth them. Will work it into the game day menu. The bean soup with torn bread recipe I found online looks like a good starting place.

You see this everywhere if you Google, "Americans to Eat 1.25 Billion Chicken Wings for Super Bowl XLVIII"

So that works out to be 337 wings per person, new borne babies included? May be my abacus needs new batteries.

dcarch

• Similar Content

• By Doofa
      FYI. On todays Food Programme, BBC Radio 4 which will be podcasted I think tomorrow after its repeat. He outlined the Bread tome, and I found very interesting the economics of bread. It's all a bit beyond me as a Coeliac most of it is out of my reach. One can listen to it on Radio 4 website. Furthermore R4 is my constant companion and the last bastion of civilisation
    • By Sheel
      Prawn Balchao is a very famous Goan pickle that has a sweet, spicy and tangy flavor to it. 
      For the balchao paste you will need:
      > 8-10 kashmiri red chillies
      > 4-5 Byadagi red chillies
      > 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
      > 1/2 tsk turmeric powder 
      > 1 tsp peppercorn
      > 6 garlic cloves
      > 1/2 tsp cloves
      > 1 inch cinnamon stick
      > Vinegar 
      First you will need to marinate about 250 grams of prawns in some turmeric powder and salt. After 15 minutes deep fry them in oil till them become golden n crisp. Set them aside and add tsp vinegar to them and let it sit for 1 hour. Now, make a paste of all the ingredients mentioned under the balchao paste and make sure not to add any water. In the same pan used for fryin the prawns, add in some chopped garlic and ginger. Lightly fry them and immediately add one whole chopped onion. Next, add the balchao paste amd let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Add in the prawns and cook until the gravy thickens. Finally add 1 tsp sugar and salt according to your taste. Allow it to cool. This can be stored in a glass jar. Let this mature for 1-3 weeks before its use. Make sure never to use water at any stage. This can be enjoyed with a simple lentil curry and rice.
    • By liuzhou
      These have been mentioned a couple of times recently on different threads and I felt they deserved one of their own. After all, they did keep me alive when I lived in Xi'an.

Rou jia mo (ròu jiá mò; literally "Meat Sandwich") are Chinese sandwiches which originated in Shaanxi Province, but can be found all over China. Away from their point of origin, they tend to be made with long stewed pork belly. However in Xi'an (capital of Shaanxi), there is a large Muslim population so the meat of choice is more usually beef. In nearby Gansu Province, lamb or mutton is more likely.

When I was living in Xi'an in 1996-1997, I lived on these. I was living on campus in North-West University (西北大学) and right outside the school gate was a street lined with cheap food joints, most of which would serve you one. I had one favourite place which I still head to when I visit. First thing I do when I get off the train.

What I eat is Cumin Beef Jia Mo (孜然牛肉夹馍 zī rán niú ròu jiá mò). The beef is stir fried or grilled/BBQd with cumin and mild green peppers. It is also given a bit of a kick with red chill flakes.

Here is a recipe wrested from the owner of my Xi'an favourite. So simple, yet so delicious.

Lean Beef

Fairly lean beef is cut into slivers

Sliced  Beef

Chopped garlic

I use this single clove garlic from Sichuan, but regular garlic does just fine.

The beef and garlic are mixed in a bowl and generously sprinkled with ground cumin. This is then moistened with a little light soy sauce and Shaoxing wine. You don't want to flood it. Set aside for as long as you can.

Mild Green Chilli Pepper

Take one or two mild green peppers and crush with the back of a knife, then slice roughly. You could de-seed if you prefer. I don't bother.

Chopped Green Pepper

Fire up the wok, add oil (I use rice bran oil, but any  vegetable oil except olive oil would be fine) and stir fry the meat mixture until the meat is just done. 

Frying Tonight

Then add the green peppers and fry until they are as you prefer them. I tend to like them still with a bit of crunch, so slightly under-cook them

In with the peppers

You will, of course, have prepared the bread. The sandwiches are made with a type of flat bread known as 白吉饼 (bái jí bǐng; literally "white lucky cake-shape"). The ones here are store bought but I often make them. Recipe below.

Bai Ji Bing

Take one and split it. Test the seasoning of the filling, adding salt if necessary. It may not need it because of the soy sauce. 

Nearly there

Cover to make a sandwich  and enjoy. You will see that I have used a bunch of kitchen paper to hold the sandwich and to soak up any escaping juices. But it should be fairly dry.

The final product.

Note: I usually cook the meat and pepper in batches. Enough for one sandwich per person at a time. If we need another (and we usually do) I start the next batch. 

Bread Recipe

350g plain flour
      140ml water
      1/2 teaspoon instant yeast

Mix the yeast with the flour and stir in the water. Continue stirring until a dough forms. Knead until smooth. Cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap and leave to rise by about one third. (maybe 30-40 minutes).

Knead again to remove any air then roll the dough into a log shape around 5cm in diameter, then cut into six portions. Press these into a circle shape using a rolling pin. You want to end up with 1.5cm thick buns. 

Preheat oven to 190C/370F.

Dry fry the buns in a skillet until they take on some colour about a minute or less on each side, then finish in the oven for ten minutes. Allow to cool before using.
    • By flippant
      I've had the CSO for a number of years now, but have yet to actually bake bread in it.

Reading through the Modernist Bread thread on this forum I see many of you are using the CSO to great effect, which is heartening.

To that end, I would like to know about your experience baking bread in it – what sort of extra equipment you use (pans, cast iron? etc), what breads work the best, any corrections you find yourself making, or anything you feel might be useful to someone else using the CSO.

Thank you!

• By trfl
      Dear fellow bakers,
      We have been baking no-knead bread at home for several years and as a family of scientists and engineers, we consistently tried to make it even more easier and convenient. 
      We liked what we ended up with so much that, I decided to start a small company (based in Eindhoven, Netherlands) to make a new bread kit product out of it.

I am seeking your help to know your opinion of the product and how the story is told.

LoafNest is an improvement on no-knead Dutch oven bread making. We took perforated silicone liner designed for professional bread baking and put it into a uniquely designed cast iron casserole. With this improvement, there is no need for shaping or second raising of the bread. You just mix, let the dough raise, pre-heat, pour the dough, bake and done!

So, LoafNest is a no-knead, no-mess, no-cleanup solution for convenient and practical bread making.

The perforated silicone liner is from the same company that makes Silpat mats. Our liner is a more advanced version with perforations that allow radiative, conductive and convective heat to all sides of the bread. It is also rated to a higher temperature (260C/500F)

With less than 5 minutes of active work that can fit into a busy schedule, we hope to reduce the entry barrier for people who are willing to make bread. Our primary targets are people who buy expensive premium bread but want to make their own premium bread at home or people who use bread machines and want to eat better bread.

While it is not a primary target, we also believe this is a nice solution for experienced bakers who want to use a high-humidity, high thermal mass baking environment.

You can find the details and more images on http://trfl.nl/LoafNest  [still a little bit work in progress] and http://trfl.nl/loafnest-gallery 
      What are your impressions of the product? Visually and functionally? What are your thoughts on how the story is told? Any improvement to resonate better with people who are thinking of starting to bake their own bread? Any thoughts on pricing? I would be grateful to your feedback and suggestions.

I am sure, in the end, we all want more people to eat better and healthier bread. So please support me in this endeavor.