• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

teapot

Super Bowl 2014 -- Feast mode!

So excited that our Seattle Seahawks are in the Super Bowl this year! What are people making? Any Seahawk fans planning a Seattle-inspired menu? One that doesn't involve any last minute cooking?

I'm making sourdough bread and bacon/onion jam to go with someone's beef tenderloin. To bring in some Seattle touches, we'll have smoked salmon, a Northwest berry cobbler. And as a nod to Seahawk colors: blue corn chips and guacamole.

There'll be IPAs of course (Seattle's a very hopped up city)but I'm also trying to come up with a clever cocktail - or hawktail (I've thought of making blue rock candy to use as a sugar rim on a sage margarita).

• Like 1

Woot! We're hosting a small gathering this year, half a dozen people, only cuz the Seahawks are in.

I think I'm going to make a chili as the main dish and throw some coffee in there. Maybe gyoza or teriyaki wings. Smoked salmon or shrimp cocktail. I still need a veg salad - probably Caesar salad.

For drinks, Northwest-style pale ale (it'll be local B.C. micro, though) and I dunno...margarita with blue curacao??? Starbucks coffee with dessert?

• Like 1

Are you gonna make Seachicken wings? :raz:

Seriously though, I don't have a dog in this years fight but it's football so I'll be watching. Haven't decided on the food yet. I tend to keep my football food to beer and stuff that can sit around on plates to be eaten as desired but I'm trying to convince myself to do a little more this time.

I am not doing anything for the super bowl or probably even watching it but, I have been having an urge to make Taquitos lately. This would be a good super bowl dish.

Huge Broncos fan here!!!! I'm brining a chicken tonight to make fried chicken. That's as far as I've gotten. It's just two of us, but I'm going to make a ton of food and cheer my team on :)

Broncos fan as well, because I am a Tennessean and Peyton Manning is Da Man. Munchy stuff at my house for three or four of us. Beer candied bacon. Fingerling potatoes topped with cream cheese and caviar. A big loaf of rye bread with pastrami and cheese baked inside it, and maybe some red cabbage on the side. Something sweet, yet to be determined.

Nobody gives a rat about the ballgame but me, but they'll all eat the goodies.

• Like 3

So Broncos fans, I'm trying to think of any food that Denver is known for ... rocky mountain oysters?

• Like 2

So Broncos fans, I'm trying to think of any food that Denver is known for ... rocky mountain oysters?

Hmmmm…..good question! Here I was just trying to think of some blue and orange foods I could make :) First thing that comes to mind is a Denver omelette. Oh and Fat Tire beer is brewed there, I believe. I'll keep thinking. OH and I'll ask mom, she still lives in Colorado.

Coors

available everywhere Beer is Sold.

from Golden, CO just a hike north of denver.

Hmmmm…..good question! Here I was just trying to think of some blue and orange foods I could make :) First thing that comes to mind is a Denver omelette. Oh and Fat Tire beer is brewed there, I believe. I'll keep thinking. OH and I'll ask mom, she still lives in Colorado.

Spanish tortilla-style Denver omelette, maybe? Put it on slices of baguette?

• Like 1

You could always make a Pueblo Slopper, that's close enough to Denver. I was thinking of making some Slopper sliders.

Double fry chicken wings, lil smokies are one the menu as well.

• Like 2

"Rocky Mountains High" brownies? Red River chili? John Denver milk punch? Colorado basically means "red", so make of that what you will! %)

• Like 2

Rooting for the Seahawks here! Definitely going for chicken wings with some awesome sauce! Super Bowl NEEDS chicken wings!

don't you NE folks have

Red Hook ?

one might might develop a thirst ??

a loosing thirst ???

No plans for a party at my house. BUT planning to make something for GREAT nextdoor neighbor who ALWAYS rescues me when we get snow! He NICELY yells at me to go back inside when I come out with snow shovel & flat out refuses any monetary payment... even for his boys who he puts to work! Have made pepperoni bread in past... a HIT! Made a riff on that with "taco" bread. Maybe a big fat muffaletta sandwich... for the sports fans!?!

• Like 2

Maybe a big fat muffaletta sandwich... for the sports fans!?!

That's something I haven't had in a long time... might have to think about doing that myself.

• Like 1

Have made pepperoni bread in past... a HIT! Made a riff on that with "taco" bread. Maybe a big fat muffaletta sandwich... for the sports fans!?!

I'm making bacon levain from "Flour, Water, Yeast, Salt".

• Like 1

No plans for a party at my house. BUT planning to make something for GREAT nextdoor neighbor who ALWAYS rescues me when we get snow! He NICELY yells at me to go back inside when I come out with snow shovel & flat out refuses any monetary payment... even for his boys who he puts to work! Have made pepperoni bread in past... a HIT! Made a riff on that with "taco" bread. Maybe a big fat muffaletta sandwich... for the sports fans!?!

I think a muffaletta sounds like the perfect thing!!!! I wish you were my neighbor :)

• Like 2

You could always make a Pueblo Slopper, that's close enough to Denver. I was thinking of making some Slopper sliders.

Double fry chicken wings, lil smokies are one the menu as well.

Thanks for the slopper reminder stckciv, best thing to eat in Colorado, pity anyone who hasn't had the pleasure.

Pueblo's two hours away so I don't get down to Gray's Tavern often, and my attempts at replicating the chili have never come close.

But, Kenji has done his Kenji thing with it, so I'm going to give it another try for the stuporbowl. Here's the link for anyone else so inclined:

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/02/the-burger-lab-the-pueblo-slopper-and-how-to-make-pueblo-green-chili-colorado.html

• Like 1

Perfect mashup: Cannabis smoked salmon.

You know it's done when it's "flakey"

• Like 2

I picked up a bag of Rancho Gordo Yellow Eyed beans.recently. Time to do something wth them. Will work it into the game day menu. The bean soup with torn bread recipe I found online looks like a good starting place.

You see this everywhere if you Google, "Americans to Eat 1.25 Billion Chicken Wings for Super Bowl XLVIII"

So that works out to be 337 wings per person, new borne babies included? May be my abacus needs new batteries.

dcarch

• Similar Content

• By Chris Hennes
      On Nov. 7, 2017, Modernist Bread will finally arrive on my doorstep. Having preordered it literally the first day it was available, to say I'm excited about this book is a bit of an understatement. The team at The Cooking Lab have been gracious enough to give @Dave the Cook and me early electronic access to the book and so I've spent the last week pouring over it. I'm just going to start with a few initial comments here (it's 2600 pages long, so a full review is going to take some time, and require a bunch of baking!). Dave and I would also be happy to answer any questions you've got.

One of the main things I've noticed about this book is a change in tone from the original Modernist Cuisine. It comes across as less "everything you know is wrong" and more "eighty bazillion other bakers have contributed to this knowledge and here's our synthesis of it." I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Myhrvold and company are now the most experienced bread-bakers in the world. Not necessarily in terms of the number of identical loaves they've produced, but in the shear number of different recipes and techniques they've tried and the care with which they've analyzed the results. These volumes are a distillation of 100,000 years of human breadmaking experience, topped off with a dose of the Modernist ethos of taking what we know to the next level.

The recipes include weight, volume, and baker's percentages, and almost all of them can be made by both a home baker and someone baking in a commercial facility. The home baker might need to compromise on shape (e.g. you can't fit a full-length baguette in most home ovens) but the book provides clear instructions for both the amateur and professional. The recipes are almost entirely concentrated in volumes 4 and 5, with very few in the other volumes (in contrast to Modernist Cuisine, where there were many recipes scattered throughout). I can't wait for the physical volumes to arrive so that I can have multiple volumes open at once, the recipes cross-reference techniques taught earlier quite frequently.
    • By pastrygirl
      I was cooking for a party last night at which a gluten free cake was served for dessert.  I had a few bites and aside from the cake being dry and the frosting very sweet, there was that tell-tale grittiness that GF baked goods seem to have. This particular bakery uses a blend of millet, sorghum, tapioca and potato flours.  I used some Bob's Red Mill GF flour to satisfy a customer request for GF shortbread and found the same grittiness - they use garbanzo bean flour, potato starch, whole grain white sorghum flour, tapioca flour and fava bean flour. 

Obviously some sacrifices of flavor and texture are made when trying to replicate the magic of gluten, but why can't these flour blends be softer?  Can't they be milled more finely?  Or is it just the way the particular starches or proteins in those other flours are felt on the tongue? 

It's like that chalky cold cooked rice texture, do you know what I mean?  Why can't it be better?  Almost every time I eat something made with substitute flours, it makes me sad and want to fix it.
    • By Kasia
      Today I would like to share with you a recipe for a slightly different sandwich. Instead of traditional vegetables, I recommend strawberry salsa, and rather than a slice of ham – a golden grilled slice of Halloumi cheese. Only one thing is missing – a fresh and fragrant bread roll.

Halloumi is a Cypriot cheese made with sheep's milk or a mixture of sheep's, goat's and cow's milk. It is semihard and so flexible that it is excellent for frying and barbecuing, and it is great fresh too.

Ingredients (for two people)
      2 fresh rolls of your choice
      2 big lettuce leaves
      4 slices of Halloumi cheese
      2 teaspoons of butter
      salsa:
      8 strawberries
      half a chili pepper
      2 tablespoons of minced peppermint leaves
      ¼ a red onion
      2 tablespoons of chopped almond without the skin
      1 teaspoon of honey
      2 tablespoons of lemon juice
      2 tablespoons of balsamic sauce

Start by preparing the salsa. Wash the strawberries, remove the shanks and cube them. Dice the onion and chili pepper. Mix the strawberries with the onion, chili pepper, peppermint and almonds. Spice it up with honey and lemon juice. Leave in the fridge for half an hour. Grill the slices of Halloumi cheese until they are golden. Cut the fresh rolls in half and spread them with butter. Put a lettuce leaf on each half of roll, then a slice of the Halloumi cheese, one tablespoon of salsa, another slice of cheese and two tablespoons of salsa. Spice it up with balsamic sauce. Cover with the other half of the roll. Prepare the second sandwich in the same way. Serve at once while the cheese is still hot.

Enjoy your meal!

• By sartoric
      I make this a lot. Traditionally served with dosa, but great with all kinds of Indian food, even just scooped up with bread or pappads for a snack. Although it's slightly different every time, depending on the tomatoes and chillies used, plus the strength of the tamarind, it's easy, quick to make and always delicious.

In a blender - half a medium red onion chopped, 7 dried red chillies broken up a bit, 2 ripe tomatoes chopped, 1 tsp of sea salt, 3 tsp tamarind paste.

Whizz until purée like about 2 minutes.

In a sauté pan over medium heat add 60 ml sesame oil (gingelly), when it's hot but not smoking add 1 tsp black mustard seeds.   

Quickly cover the pan to prevent escape and sizzle for a minute.

Add 1 tsp of urad dal (black lentils, skinned and split they are light grey).

Fry until golden, another minute or so.

Throw in about 20 curry leaves. These splatter so cover the pan again. 

Lower the heat and add the  blender contents.

Simmer, stirring frequently for about 10 minutes, until you get a runny jam consistency.

Ta da !

• By Shel_B
      Not sure if the subject line really reflects the situation and my question.

Sweetie made a couple of loaves of soda bread the other day, and cut the top of the loaf in order to make a pattern something like THIS.  However, the pattern or cut mark didn't show on the finished loaf.  I don't know much more other than she said she made the cut "pretty deep."

What might be the cause of the cut mark not showing on the finished loaf?  Thanks!