• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bag of smoke

FeChef

In the summer I use my smoker every weekend. Its just too damn cold this year.(minus 20 currently)

I want to make some baby back ribs for the SB party but im thinking of doing them completely sous vide. My main concern is that i cannot stand the smoke smell that leaches out of the bags into the water and stinks the entire house. To avoid this i always smoke after.

In this case I will need to either add liquid smoke to my brine before cooking, or possibly add liquid smoke to im thinking melted butter to brush on before hitting them with the torch after they come out of the sous vide.

I want to mention that i do not like smoke flavored bbq sauce. I am guessing adding liquid smoke to bbq sauce would be the same.

I need ideas how to impart smoke flavor into the meat without causing my house to smell like an ash tray.

Does anyone know if adding liquid smoke to a brine overnight and rinsing before sous vide will cause my house to stink? Should i just try mixing with melted butter anf brushing on post sear before adding bbq sauce?

I have only ever used liquid smoke once in a jerky recipe along time ago, and although i dont recall it stinking my house up, i remember not like the jerky..lol.

I will be doing a sous vided BBback rib this weekend.

Sous vided, then smoked, than broiled.

I can do this all indoors because my smoker is an indoor smoker, and my broiler has a rotisserie.

I don't see anything wrong with Liquid Smoke in your case. I don't see using it will stink up the house.

dcarch

Before getting my smoker and sous vide supreme, I used to use a crockpot to do my ribs. I'd rub them with some liquid smoke and yes, the house did smell a little smoky. But I also added BBQ sauce and that made the smell more "integrated". I've also done ribs slow baked in the oven. It's a gas oven and I think that burns off most of the smoke odor. You might try either of those methods.

In sous vide I added liquid smoke to the bag. The smoke smell did leach out and you could smell it, but I wouldn't describe it as stinking up the house. (The SVS has a lid, could be why.). Now, of course, I don't use either and just use my smoker.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Before getting my smoker and sous vide supreme, I used to use a crockpot to do my ribs. I'd rub them with some liquid smoke and yes, the house did smell a little smoky. But I also added BBQ sauce and that made the smell more "integrated". I've also done ribs slow baked in the oven. It's a gas oven and I think that burns off most of the smoke odor. You might try either of those methods.

In sous vide I added liquid smoke to the bag. The smoke smell did leach out and you could smell it, but I wouldn't describe it as stinking up the house. (The SVS has a lid, could be why.). Now, of course, I don't use either and just use my smoker.

I use to cold smoke, or smoke meats at low temps for a few hours (like 4) and then Sous vide. Everytime no matter how many vacuum bags i used (like 3) the smoke smell leached out into the water and (not joking) made the entire house smell of smoke. Its not a big deal when its only a few hours of smoke smell, but after 24 hours in the sous vide it becomes intolerable.

I dont know if i am going to get the same smell results using liquid smoke as i did real smoke, or if adding it to the brine and rinsing before sous vide will help, but If it does i will have to keep dumping the water and adding fresh water everytime it starts to smell. I cant stomach it anymore. It gets in my sinuses and i cant sleep and smell stays in sinuses for days.

Just a thought: "they" make something called "smokers' candles" (the name's a gimmick, they're just largeish unscented candles) that you put around and burn to remove cigarette smoke from the air. Don't see why they wouldn't work with the liquid smoke scent, too! HTH! The "ash tray" smell should not be a problem, since it's not tobacco smoke you're using, but woodsmoke.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Sous vided, then smoked, than broiled.

dcarch

I think cooked meat does not effectively absorb smoke flavor.

Its actually the "smoke ring" your thinking of that doesnt occur in meats cooked above 140F. Smoke flavor does still absorb, but not as much. Its actually beneficial to meats that you want that subtle smoke flavor. I usually use a strong flavor wood like pecan or hickory when doing a quick smoke after a long sous vide cook.

I recently did some SV ribs that came out great. I can say with certainty that cooked ribs DO INDEED take smoke flavor very well... it's not something you have to do to raw meat. Smoking is best used as a finishing step; I wouldn't ever smoke something before putting it in the bath. One exception is using the Smoking Gun, which isn't really used for long smoking times. I'll sometimes hit meat with the Smoking Gun two or three times before the SV step and then hit it 2 or 3 times again once it comes out. Again, this is because of the inherently short smoking times with the SG.

If you want to do smokey ribs without smoke, liquid smoke is your best bet. ChefSteps has a great recipe for "Apartment Ribs" that uses liquid smoke, but that's more as a finishing step (cook SV, apply rub and liquid smoke, and roast in the oven). I'd look to that recipe as a guideline for what you're wanting to accomplish. Since the liquid smoke is used only at the end, I doubt it'll smoke up your house too much.

I sometimes use smoked paprika to add a bit of smoke flavor to things, not sure this would work here and if the paprika would work with what ever else you're doing to them, but I like the effect it has. Sometimes just sprinkle a dusting on after searing SV meat, right off the heat. I don't add it before, the searing would just burn it I think.

• Like 1

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I recently did some SV ribs that came out great. I can say with certainty that cooked ribs DO INDEED take smoke flavor very well... it's not something you have to do to raw meat. Smoking is best used as a finishing step; I wouldn't ever smoke something before putting it in the bath. One exception is using the Smoking Gun, which isn't really used for long smoking times. I'll sometimes hit meat with the Smoking Gun two or three times before the SV step and then hit it 2 or 3 times again once it comes out. Again, this is because of the inherently short smoking times with the SG.

If you want to do smokey ribs without smoke, liquid smoke is your best bet. ChefSteps has a great recipe for "Apartment Ribs" that uses liquid smoke, but that's more as a finishing step (cook SV, apply rub and liquid smoke, and roast in the oven). I'd look to that recipe as a guideline for what you're wanting to accomplish. Since the liquid smoke is used only at the end, I doubt it'll smoke up your house too much.

I think i will try mixing liquid smoke with molasses and brush it on after SV then hit it with a torch to char it up a bit, then brush on bbq sauce and hit with torch again to caramelize and make the sauce sticky.

Thanks for the link.