• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Notebooks - "I'll show you mine..."

Kerry Beal

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

The efficiency of various digital notebooks is unquestionable but oh how I miss the character of hand written notebooks!  

I think about this quite often as I'm going through my grammy's recipes.  I don't have kids so it's not relevant to me, but for others I wonder if their children will miss seeing their loved ones hand written recipe cards....or maybe I'm just a sentimental sap.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

You wouldn't miss it so much if your handwriting looked like mine :)

I don't think legibility is the measure I use. @shain's  hand written Hebrew would be indecipherable to me in terms of meaning but still tell me a great deal about shain. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My girlfriend thinks we're all nuts for not using GitHub, which would allow for version control and all kinds of collaboration features. I don't exactly know how it works. After looking over her shoulder, I suspect it's not going to catch on around here anytime soon. 

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

LOL She isn't a software (or other) engineer, perchance?

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Can't show you a notebook.  I have a folder on my computer named recipes. If I find that I need to make adjustsments, I red-line the hardcopy, edit the file, then toss the hard copy.

I did start a Sous Vide journal using Word.

If you can't tell, I hate hand-writing things.

Our city has an active recycling program. In light of that, when I need a particular recipe I print it out, use it, then toss it.  I had to take to tossing all of the printed recipes sitting around because my DW used to print out 4 or 5 similar recipes from the internet, merge them into whatever she was baking, then just leave them sitting around. Or, worse, is when she prints out a few from the internet, then just leaves them sitting around. We tried 3-ring binders for a while but they got clogged because she wasn't the person filing away recipes. Same problem with too many similar recipes she'd printed out.

Our "recipe holder" (strong magnets and an exhaust hood):

RecipeHolder.jpg

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

28 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Our "recipe holder" (strong magnets and an exhaust hood):

I have taped commonly-used recipes to the inside of a cupboard door over top of the cupboard workspace. Need the recipe? Open the door while working. 

The occasional bruises on my forehead are incentive enough to learn the recipe and not need the hard copy any more. :P

• Like 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I personally don't keep notebooks but my sister does have my mother's recipe/note book (small loose leaf book) with her recipes and notes which we use to cook comfort dishes from our childhood. My extended family also has a hand written recipe book from the 1700s written by my gggggrandfather to record his mother's recipes.

• Like 3

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh

52 minutes ago, Soupcon said:

I personally don't keep notebooks but my sister does have my mother's recipe/note book (small loose leaf book) with her recipes and notes which we use to cook comfort dishes from our childhood. My extended family also has a hand written recipe book from the 1700s written by my gggggrandfather to record his mother's recipes.

Now *that* is a keepsake worth having.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2017 at 5:02 PM, paulraphael said:

My girlfriend thinks we're all nuts for not using GitHub, which would allow for version control and all kinds of collaboration features. I don't exactly know how it works. After looking over her shoulder, I suspect it's not going to catch on around here anytime soon. 

I actually back my recpies with git, and I thought that I'm crazy for doing so... Versioning is helpful when I start to screw a recipe and want to see what I changed in the past. But really, it's mostly for backup.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

The kitchen notebook continues to spread - resident kiddo (housemate's kid) started one yesterday as part of making dinner with his dad. I didn't even suggest it, they thought of it together while reading recipes. :D

• Like 2