• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Travel Tips

gfweb

Leftovers can be a problem for the traveler. Room service pizza, for example. Generally the stuff is more than one can eat at one sitting, but costs so much that throwing it out is unattractive.

The solution is found in the closet of most hotels.

Note how the iron is shaped roughly the size of a room service pizza slice.

First get the thing good and hot. Turn it on its back (it may shut off) and put a damp washcloth on it. Put slice on the washcloth and fold over to cover. It will steam it warm pretty quickly.

IMG_20140127_114205_595.jpg

Next remove the pizza. Reheat the iron and put the slice back on to crisp up.

IMG_20140127_114255_902.jpg

Sort of a home-made combi-oven!

Any other travel tricks out there?

• Like 4

Brilliant!

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Very nice!

Hundreds of years ago my wife-to-be and I had an impoverished holiday in Vanuatu (it was still the New Hebrides then; THAT'S how long ago it was!). We were fortunate that the room had an electric jug with a concealed element, which came in very handy for heating cans of sausages bought cheap at the local supermarket.

Ah, luxury and a decent income. Thoroughly overrated ... not.

• Like 3

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

How did you ever dream that up?

Too many nights in hotel rooms. ;-)

The initial steam is what makes it practical to do. Slices heated on a naked iron burn the bottom before the top melts.

• Like 1

inquiring minds wonder...

how do you leave the iron clean enough that the unfortunate guest who next uses it to press their nice white shirt...doesn't get a stain?

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

inquiring minds wonder...

how do you leave the iron clean enough that the unfortunate guest who next uses it to press their nice white shirt...doesn't get a stain?

The grease comes off on the washcloth used in steaming. Never dirtied an iron unless the cheese runs. In any event I give it a wipe.

• Like 1

I'm sorry if I don't join others in congratulating you. But, if you think hotel pizza is expensive, try replacing a nice shirt, or dress, or other piece of clothing. Speaking as somebody that OFTEN has to iron clothes in hotel rooms, nothing gets me quite as furious as running what should be a clean instrument that is in the hotel room to iron clothes (and not to cook food) over a piece of clothing and getting a streak of some foreign substance (like tomato sauce, cheese, grease, etc.) on the outfit that I need to put on immediately, and then run out the door wearing. I don't care if you think you've cleaned it, except maybe "unless the cheese runs." But you wipe it with a cloth? How about if that cheese (or grease, etc.) has run down into the steam holes? Or maybe you were in a hurry and didn't do a very good job that one time? What do you, care, right, because it ain't your shirt that got ruined. And anyway you ate your crisp leftover pizza and now you're long gone. So the truth is that, regardless as to what you say, you have no idea whatsoever if that iron you misused actually ruined someone else's clothing or not. How about if others decide how clever you are and it becomes commonplace to misuse these irons that I depend upon? And maybe they're not so fastidious as you say you are about the wiping?

You think "leftovers are a problem for the traveler"? How about being miles from home with nothing to wear. It's not like I'm home with a whole closet full of stuff to chose from. Instead I can't wear the thing I've brought to wear to somebody's wedding or, an important business meeting, or, for example, my aunt's funeral! And I'm standing there looking at a big grease spot and trying to imagine how on earth it got there. Little would I have guessed that some selfish jerk was trying to get his leftover pizza crisp.

Many hotels these days have microwaves. Will it get your pizza as crisp as using the iron?

Maybe not.

Do I give a rat's ass?

Definitely not.

As far as I'm concerned, if you've just got to have your pizza crisp, order another one.

:angry:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'm sorry if I don't join others in congratulating you. But, if you think hotel pizza is expensive, try replacing a nice shirt, or dress, or other piece of clothing. Speaking as somebody that OFTEN has to iron clothes in hotel rooms, nothing gets me quite as furious as running what should be a clean instrument that is in the hotel room to iron clothes (and not to cook food) over a piece of clothing and getting a streak of some foreign substance (like tomato sauce, cheese, grease, etc.) on the outfit that I need to put on immediately, and then run out the door wearing. I don't care if you think you've cleaned it, except maybe "unless the cheese runs." But you wipe it with a cloth? How about if that cheese (or grease, etc.) has run down into the steam holes? Or maybe you were in a hurry and didn't do a very good job that one time? What do you, care, right, because it ain't your shirt that got ruined. And anyway you ate your crisp leftover pizza and now you're long gone. So the truth is that, regardless as to what you say, you have no idea whatsoever if that iron you misused actually ruined someone else's clothing or not. How about if others decide how clever you are and it becomes commonplace to misuse these irons that I depend upon? And maybe they're not so fastidious as you say you are about the wiping?

You think "leftovers are a problem for the traveler"? How about being miles from home with nothing to wear. It's not like I'm home with a whole closet full of stuff to chose from. Instead I can't wear the thing I've brought to wear to somebody's wedding or, an important business meeting, or, for example, my aunt's funeral! And I'm standing there looking at a big grease spot and trying to imagine how on earth it got there. Little would I have guessed that some selfish jerk was trying to get his leftover pizza crisp.

Many hotels these days have microwaves. Will it get your pizza as crisp as using the iron?

Maybe not.

Do I give a rat's ass?

Definitely not.

As far as I'm concerned, if you've just got to have your pizza crisp, order another one.

:angry:

I won't give you the hostile response your note deserves.

I leave it clean.

I'll give it to him...

Jaymes, remember to pre-heat, and eject a fair amout of steam from your borrowed iron, first, or learn to live with it! If you insist upon being the definition of Anal-retentive, try packing your own damned iron, if it pisses you off that much.

On a side note, though, you can make a self-draining beer cooler by packing your room sink first with beer, then several buckets of ice...Icy cold drinks on demand, no bothersome water sloshing anywhere...

• Like 3

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

Look, good irons are heavy and hard to lug around.

Gfweb thinks it's so so cute and clever and is proud of it and posted his opinion.

I think it's inconsiderate and boorish and selfish and I posted my opinion.

He's not sorry and I'm not sorry.

As far as I'm concerned, we each made our opinion clear.

And that's that.

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Look, good irons are heavy and hard to lug around.

Gfweb thinks it's so so cute and clever and is proud of it and posted his opinion.

I think it's inconsiderate and boorish and selfish and I posted my opinion.

He's not sorry and I'm not sorry.

As far as I'm concerned, we each made our opinion clear.

And that's that.

No it isn't.

You've assumed that I can't tell whether an iron is clean, and that I don't care about it anyway. Neither of which is true.

I've assumed that you were a reasonable person. Now I know better.

Ok. Now you can have the last word.

I always iron with a towel on top of what I'm ironing when I'm on the road. Cheese, pizza, steak ums or guess what, rusty, mineral laden water won't ruin my clothing that way.

• Like 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 weeks later...

Deadheads I knew used to wrap cheese sandwiches in tinfoil and iron them to make grilled cheese.

If you're ordering a pizza that might have leftovers & you have no microwave, maybe the restaurant will nicely include some tinfoil.

". . . if waters are still, then they can't run at all, deep or shallow."