• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need help making Porchetta or Hog Roll for whole Hoglet

Paul Bacino

I'm picking up a 30-45# piglet. I want to debone it and do a head on pig roll.

I have never deboned a piglet, but pretty sure I can

Just need some pointers? Ideas

Best I can do is cook it in my china box.

May be some seasoning ideas, trying. to go Spanish. In motif

Cheers and thanks

Paul

Its good to have Morels

I'm not honestly sure what you mean by "pig roll". This is another occasion of me wanting very badly to help, but lacking the knowledge to provide any real help! I like the sound of it though...Pig Roll.....Mmmmm

Seriously though, I think I know what your getting at, and I have a couple of ideas, but I think I'll wait and see if anyone else has any solid advice to give, before I drop my two-cents worth into the pot...

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

David

Since I'm. deboning it, I think I need to remove the legs, ? so as to make it in a cylindrical form. But I need to add back..that meat..

So think porchetta with a head.

Paul

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 1

Its good to have Morels

The deboning, I understand, and agree with. What about the skin, though? will it be reserved for something else, or rolled up? I can't help but think that a general deboning, then removing the skin as well, rolling the meat, the re-covering with the skin (head still on, of course) and then cooking per your preference would be both freakishly attractive, and delicious as well, depending, of course, on how its cooked.

What exactly is your goal here, Paul, if you don't mind me asking? I'm loving your idea, generally, but am refusing to do any real research, as I would rather theorize, than give sound advice. :wacko:

I hope this won't be a problem, as I've a good bit of experience in making "crazy" come true...

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

David,

The last pig I did, was a 55 #, we basically opened it up! placed between the two racks! cooked it and pulled the meat??I think pulling the pork was a hassle! with my company hanging around, it would be much easier and great presentation to have a hog tube..head on ( later I will saw the skull a have brain pateé).. And just cutting the pork rounds off and serving it

So rolling it up tight, to look, like a jelly roll..

Paul

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

Personally, I'd debone the whole thing, legs and all. I'd then flip, and remove the skin, while leaving it attached to the head. Imagine a pigs head, with all the skin to one side, all meat to the other (?), head in the center. Season all the meat, butterflying where needed, to even it out. The skin on the other side, I'd scrape of excess fat, season as well, and then roll the meat in the desired direction, followed by wrapping the skin around it, then cutting the excess skin, and cooking in whichever way you'd like.

How do you plan to cook it, btw?

• Like 1

Given that, I'd do just what we've discussed thus far.

I'd have to be there to help with this project, but in theory, I like the method I've already described.

I'd bone, then skin, in opposing directions, then butterfly, season liberally, roll meat, wrap in skin, and then (Very) gently cook for at least 10-14hrs, depending on internal temp, of course. ...

Maybe some smoke...

1)split pig

2)Take the feet and shanks off..

3)take the loins out

4)take out the rib cage and back bone

5)then debone both legs

6)mistake

7)score inside

8)flip and beat the skin with a mallet

9)poke lots of little holes in the skin every like inch or so

10)flip back and season

11)add loins

12)tie

13)cook

I like to serve mine with a green sauce

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 1

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

this is what it looks like sliced and sauced. I often leave the rest whole and slice cold on a meat slicer.

9293680356_b9e85e5571.jpg

this is just a whole belly with one loin rolled length

12165049814_c7ca778fd0.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 3

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Those look fantastic, Basque! I love what you've done!

I think that Paul is maybe thinking differently? Paul? Opinion? lol

Seeing what you've done, Basque, I think that I'd advise Paul to Bone out completely, skin it out, then roll the legs inside, roll the body of muscle up, drape the skin over, and around, then cook, lowly, and slowly, for as long as it takes...

Just my thoughts, as someone who would love to be involved in this project!

I feel like Baron d'Apcher could advise here, given what I've seen him post in the past (even though those pigs look to be half the size you're talking about)!

WOW!

Beautiful,in every way!

Good. Stuff..I have about 2 months. To work this out.

I think I will also..roast the back bone to make stock-- maybe make a soup course with it.

Now the ribs, gotta think, that sucking rib meat, between the bones, would be good to gnaw on?

Then freeze the hocks for latter use

Its good to have Morels