• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate raspberry cake for children

Franci

Hi. My daughter is turning 3 and I need some ideas for a chocolate raspberry cake. I'm not very ambitious when comes to pastry, I like to keep it simple.

For sure I need a cake that is light and can please young children. Maybe simply raspberry jam as filling and a ganache to cover.

I appreciate also some ideas for decorating the cake.

Thanks!

• Like 1

One thought is that many 3 year olds are picky about seeds, so maybe the raspberry part could be mousse layer? Unless you use seedless jam...

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I regularly make ATK's devils' food cake with their ganache frosting, and a strained jam filling between the layers. This has been incredibly popular with people of all ages (well, between 1 and 87 years of age, anyway, including many small children).

It's also very straightforward to make, and doesn't require finicky handling or storage, so you can make all the components ahead of time, and put it together really quickly.

I've made a few other cakes, including chocolate ones, over the years, and nothing comes close to the enthusiasm with which this one is greeted (if are interested, but don't have access to Cook's Illustrated or their site, let me know, and I'd be happy to PM you the recipes).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Here is a recipe for a chocolate raspberry cake & a Chocolate raspberry mousse.

CHOCOLATE RASPBERRY CAKE 350 DEGREES

9 OZ CHOCOLATE SEMI OR BITTER

6 OZ BUTTER UNSALTED

7 OZ RASPBERRY JAM - SEEDLESS

1 T FRAMBOISE - OPTIONAL

4 EGGS

3/4 C SUGAR

9 T A.P. FLOUR

3/4 t BAKING SODA

1 t SALT SPRAY A 8" OR 9" PAN WITH PAM, ADD PARCHMENT CIRCLE AND SPRAY AGAIN.

MELT CHOCOLATE & BUTTER ADD JAM & FRAMBOISE. BEAT EGGS & SUGAR IN MIXER TILL RIBBON STAGE, ADD CHOCOLATE MIX. SIFT DRY INGREDIENTS AND ADD TO CHOCOLATE MIXTURE. BAKE TILL TESTER COMES OUT CLEAN.

CHOCOLATE & RASPBERRY MOUSSE

6 OZ HEAVY CREAM

6 OZ GLUCOSE

18 OZ RASPBERRY PUREE - REDUCED TO 9 0Z

1 t SALT

11 OZ MILK CHOCOLATE

2 T FRAMBOISE - OPTIONAL

5 GELATIN SHEETS - SOAKED AND DRAINED

20 OZ HEAVY CREAM BEAT STIFF PEAK

BRING HEAVY CREAM GLUCOSE & RASPBERRY PUREE, SALT TO BOIL, ADD CHOCOLATE, FRAMBOISE & GELATIN. MIX TILL MELTED AND SMOOTH. COOL DOWN TO ROOM TEMP & PLACE IN A BOWL & FOLD IN HEAVY CREAM.

• Like 1

I mix strained jam with a simple american buttercream to make a flavored filling that is colorful and can be seen better than jam alone. -By american buttercream, I mean the recipe that appears on the box of powdered sugar which uses real butter, a little milk and my homemade vanilla extract. I cut down on the milk amount a little when adding jam.

• Like 2