• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liquor identification help: The topic

Chris Hennes

It's Minsk Kristall from Belarus.

Looks like a liqueur that is part of their "Balsam" line.

ETA: This shop in CT carries their vodka, which would seem to indicate there's an importer out there somewhere.

Edited by KD1191 (log)
  • Like 1

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

• 5 months later...

Hi;

I'm new to the Culinary Society and its process so please bear with me.

I have a 4/5 quart sealed bottle of Bisquit VSOP Fine Champagne Napoleon Cognac and I am trying to find its age and value. 

The label on the front of the bottle reads Product of France 80 Proof. The rear label tells of the House of Bisquit.

There is a pink, numbered "US Internal Revenue Tax Paid" stamp sealing the bottle and an "Excise and Enforcement Tax Paid Spiritous Beverages" stamp from Indiana on the neck of the bottle. 

Any help would be appreciated and any questions will be answered.

Many thanks,

DCHaller

Welcome.

Old alcohol is very hard to value. For one, due to myriad and complex laws, it's very difficult to sell. For another, much of it is terrible. I'm on a number of mailing lists for professional resellers of antique bottles, and have found that with rare exceptions (mostly whisk(e)y-related, though much older cognacs also rate) the value is in the bottle more often than the contents.

I know very little about Bisquit, but based on this listing, I would suggest it's not worth troubling too much over. My recommendation would be to try it. And, if it's any good, drink it.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

IF I could figure out how image uploading works around here nowadays, I'd show you a picture of my bottle of cooking brandy.  Bisquit VSOP.  OK by itself, but makes a very nice Newburg sauce.  This ain't a missing Rembrandt or a lost lottery ticket. 

ETA, I seem to have figured it out.  Can you see the attached pic?  Looks like yours?bisq.jpg

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch