• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brown Sugar for Chocolate Chip Cookies

Shel_B

I'll back Andiesenji on the Sucanat being tasty. I use it frequently. I like doing chocolate chip cookies using all brown sugar and brown butter... they are a bit on the rich side though.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Keller's vanilla extract-free cookie is my go-to quick cookie. Use really good brown sugar for them because that's where the flavour is.

I've never made those myself, but a friend of mine made them shortly before Christmas. Amazingly good cookie. They're on my to-do list.

They're my absolute favorite chocolate chip cookies, along with a few of my tweaks. Here's a link to the recipe with photos:

http://www.foodgal.com/2009/06/tantalizing-preview-ad-hoc-chocolate-chip-cookie-recipe-by-thomas-keller/

• Like 1
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Whole Foods used to have rapadura available in bulk.

Winco also had it in bulk last September. I haven't been to the store since then as it is not exactly handy to my home but if you have a co-op or similar store in your area, phone and ask if they carry one of these raw sugars in bulk. It's much cheaper than the pre-packaged.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett