• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Cigars

Chocolot

http://www.chocobong.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=298&zenid=c5be730a80597d1547bb43802b2c2753

I have a customer who would like me to make a product similar to these chocolate cigars from Venchi in Italy. Have any of you had any experience with something like this? If in a mould, there would be a seam problem. If hand formed and rolled, there would be a foot. Any ideas people?

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

I'd hand roll and dip in dark chocolate, Hand made Artisan. the mould is quite generic, and is flat on the back then you would still have to stick the two together... I'd get out a ruler and make a template size 2cm x 15cm, and weigh the chocolate for each piece. the result would be consistent, and hand made. + you wouldn't have to store the mould. simple aluminum foil would suffice for the wrapping and a sticker for decoration. If the mould is a must you may want to split a plastic pipe in half lengthwise to give you a DIY mould. the box from the dollar store... may want to seal it with Mod Podge.

good luck please post a Taste O'gram and pictures of your master pieces... sounds delicious

Looks like the filling is extruded, and run through an enrobing machine. Can't see the whole cigar, but I'm betting it is rolled off the conveyor belt while still soft and rolled again until it dries.

No one says you can't do the same with a piping bag and a home made double-extra-wide fork.....