• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Sexier" name for chocolate covered nuts?

pastrygirl

Nueces (almendras, pecanes, avellanas, toctes, etc.) Envueltos (enveloped) or Enrobados (clothed) or Recubiertos (covered) is one of the ways to go. (Spanish). And if they're dragee style, grageas is another term.

Noix (almendres, pecanes, noisettes, etc.) Enrobées is another. (French)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Chocojones, haha !

How about "Chef's salty chocolate balls" ?

Chocojones is pretty clever! And while there are some people to whom I might describe them as my salty chocolate balls (and probably did last time I made them) that's not quite the feeling I'm going for... looking for something a few notches more upscale.

I'm getting some packaging made for chocolate bars, bonbons, truffles, caramels, pate de fruits, and chocolate covered nuts. To me the nuts sound awkward, so I was wondering if there was an established confectionery term for them that sounded better. I kind of like rochers, meaning rocks. Ciottoli, Italian for pebbles, would be apt, because they are more pebbles than rocks and it sounds cute, plus the name of my company is Italian, though the Italian thing is a pretty minimal influence. Oh, and something more vague to allow non-nut enrobed items would be a plus - the general term will be printed on the boxes, with room to write in more details.

Salted hazelnut rochers? Rosemary almond ciottoli? Candied olive enrobees?

And while we're at it, should it be pate or pates de fruits to describe a dozen pieces of the candy?

Thanks!

Can you give some examples of things with the sort of name you have in mind (doesn't have to be chocolate, or even sweet, I'm just trying to get an idea of the sort of feel you're going for)? My first throught was 'Shove an umlaut in there, or an 'Å' or 'Ø', since most people think of Scandinavia as a source of high quality items'.

• Like 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Oh that kind of sexy :wink:

This isn't a positive suggestion, but I'd be wary of "rocher". I may be out of touch but AFAIK the only thing people will generally associate the word with is the Ferrero kind. Unless you plan for your brand to be that big, you risk looking like a wannabe. That, and as far as quality of the actual product goes, FR aren't any better than Toblerone.

Aren't you using some particularly special chocolate - from a single locale or a cachet source ? You could have "Carenero Pecans" for example. This covers the not-nut items, too.. What with nut allergies, you'll need to be clear somewhere about what the nuts are, right ?

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

I had some fun with a thesaurus but everything else sounds pretentious.

There aren't a lot of alternatives to the word 'nut' - online suggestions included 'nubbin', 'morsel', 'crux' and 'atom'. Alternative words for 'covered' include "envelope", "sheathed", "swaddled" and "encompassed".

Assuming you stick with "chocolate", you get "chocolate swaddled atoms", or "chocolate enveloped nubbins".

Alternatively there's the French / Italian approach of calling something nut shaped a "noisette" or "nocciola". Chocolate noisette sounds OK.

Blether beat me with the Southpark reference but this thread did remind me of my favourite Monty Python sketch.

I've tried using "cute" names on some of my pieces which works only when the customer has some point of reference. Examples of my pieces are "Heart of Darkness" & "Cherry Bomb". Names in a language that people aren't familiar with generally confuse them. Keep it simple. I would stick with "chocolate covered <insert nut name>".

• Like 1

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

This isn't a positive suggestion, but I'd be wary of "rocher". I may be out of touch but AFAIK the only thing people will generally associate the word with is the Ferrero kind.

Also, from what I know, "rocher" is a cluster of nuts or nut pieces (caramelized or not) and chocolate, and not individual(ly) coated pieces. The nuts are mixed into melted chocolate, and the resulting mass is then deposited in small mounds to set up. Greweling has a recipe for rochers and they're made this way.

Some people call them simply "pebbles," as an umbrella term to cover all sorts of things individually coated in chocolate, and having the appearance of small rocks.

http://beta5.myshopify.com/collections/pebbles