• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alternative Alcohol for Orange Cake

Shel_B

Oh c'mon, Shel. You do this all the time. "I have this recipe for X but I want to make it with Y. How do I do this?" It's not a great idea to come on a forum of very knowledgeable home and professional cooks and argue with them about why you want to do it your way despite asking for help and receiving a large amount of advice about why this most likely won't work as expected.

And a bottle of ouzo can't cost more than $15. Tops.

• Like 4

In the initial post you said "going to be making this cake" and mentioned you don't have or wish to purchase one of the specified ingredients. Then, after listing available substitutes, asked "Am I even close?". For making that cake, without knowing you didn't care if it tasted different (which is fine but something you didn't mention until later), the answer to "Am I even close?", without something to add an anise-like flavor, would be "no". There is no high horse, it was just people trying to help.

• Like 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'm with the folks that think you should just buy a small bottle of Ouzo. Or at least search out another anise-flavored liqueur. Of course, if you're going to do that, you might just as well buy the Ouzo.

That's my suggestion. Buy the Ouzo, and then find a few more intriguing recipes to make with it. Ought to be interesting and fun, and certainly educational.

Here are some recipes (including in salad dressings, meat & fish marinades, cookies and piecrusts, etc.): http://greekfood.about.com/od/mezethesdrinks/a/cookwithouzo.htm

Hell, maybe I'll buy you some.

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 3

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Seems like the real solution is to tell Toots to get up and buy herself some ouzo, since she's making the cake. Plus, who said you can only use the ouzo once? Just think - you and Toots can yell "opa!" and do some shots.

Actually, that sounds like a lot of fun.

Hell, maybe I'll buy myself some.

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 4

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.