• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Walnut praline paste

HQAntithesis

Hi all!

So I'm looking at experimenting with different pralines. I've done pine nut ones before (which maintain their distinct flavour but are quite expensive to make) but haven't tried making walnut praline. Has anyone attempted this? Were the results worthwhile?

I haven't tried walnut, but there's a recipe for it in Philippe Conticini's "Sensations", using 6:4 walnut/sugar. I'll give it a shot when I next get some walnuts.

Well I have, just last night. I had some walnuts languishing in the depths of my freezer, and wanted to use them up. I used the ratio j gives above, 6:4. It is good, it could have been fantastic, had the nuts been fresh. I think I'll use it in a two-layer bonbon, with a port ganache to balance it.

I am curious, HQ, how did you use your pine nut praline?

image.jpg

• Like 1

This walnut praline is sounding more and more interesting :).

Ummm... the pine nut praline went into a dual layer bonbon with a porcini mushroom ganache (soaked, boiled with cream, blitzed then sieved). It wasn't bad but not something I'd eat every day. I generally prefer simple 'comfort' flavours.