• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast Sausage Brands: Do they all suck?

gfweb

I used to rely on Jimmy Dean to make a reliably decent product, but for a couple years the quality is down with gristly bits in the mix. As bad as Bob Evans's quality.

I don't want to make my own sausage damnit.

To whom do I turn?

Jones is a lot better than the above. less fat, less greasy-ness.

I get them in the 'tube' on sale I use these 'raw' in my signature corn bread stuffing

available for Turkey ( 4 star ) Chicken ( 3 star )

never done stuffed Pork Chops, but I do love them.

try that.

when I have the SV bath 'just right' w some room I bag up a few of the Jones's (in there original wrapper)

and toss them in there

standard rapid cool and freeze

why? I bring these to Refig Temp ie just bring them out of the freezer bagged and leave them in the coldest

part of your Refig and then slice off a tranche or two ( thick ) and

:huh: microwave that tranche to get it hot

then Butane it.

just saying 30 - 45 sec's at best

its breakfast after all !

there is another frozen sausage Ive been using of late

Turkey.

sorry I cant tell you about it.

Id be Drummed out of eGullet

which is a close thing anyway.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

on the other hand .....

if you have a Cuisinart .....

and have several of the Penzeys sausage spice blends ....

that might change your mind

about 6 spice blends

you make them fresh and eat 'country style'

they keep for a bit.

only if you cannot manage a 2 - 4 year apprenticeship in Germany.

Exams required for this from time to time.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

of course

if your were a True Gourmet and Gourmand,

youd have Fresh Scrapple instead

properly cooked. pepper at the end.

just saying.

I would.

just saying.

You mean Haggis-loaf?

Not terrible if pan-fried and crisped up...

Grew up with it

Sausage for me!

• Like 1

I used to rely on Jimmy Dean to make a reliably decent product, but for a couple years the quality is down with gristly bits in the mix. As bad as Bob Evans's quality.

I don't want to make my own sausage damnit.

To whom do I turn?

Where are you located? I like Caggiano. They don't have a website, but here's some info:

http://www.elysewinery.com/recipes_13_1908997775.pdf

• Like 1

... Shel

The FFA/4H kids should be selling their sausage, the roll kind, in a couple of months. It's usually very good and not too expensive either.

Call one of the high schools that has an FFA program and get the 411.

• Like 2

I think gf is looking for Plain Vanilla USA Breakfast sausage.

he's not really awake when he eats it.

Craftsman Sausage Im sure he can get

I fav 'Breakfast Sasage' is from Nueske's

http://www.nueskes.com/nueske-breakfast-pantry.aspx?F_Sort=2

its the sausage mentioned on this page. their bacon is top notch too.

My sister sends me two bags of the sausage at Christmas. She's trying to kill me and steal the 'Trust'

( there is no trust ! :huh: )

this sausage is a bit advanced for gf. a bit.

its not plain vanilla. its more of a deep, rich, porky-pork. bit of pepper. one bite, that's it !

you also have to be awake to appreciate it.

you wouldn't go to the old Lutece when you were half asleep, and In the Bag, would you?

http://www.greatrestaurantsmag.com/NYC/restaurant_view/52/

its like that.

• Like 1

Dunno what part of the world you're in, but pretty much any independent butcher in my neck of the woods will have a better bulk breakfast sausage than the mass-market roll kind. Or do some people live in sausage deserts? LOL. Hell, even Whole Foods' too-lean bulk breakfast sausage is better than the roll stuff. It needs more pepper, but it's not half bad.

I always like Owens (hot) better than Jimmy Dean...if you're GOT to have it in the roll.

• Like 2

We have one local butcher who is a scoundrel with the prices he charges.

On principle I avoid him.

A desert?

Perhaps it is. Plenty of civilization nearby, but no WF...no decent fish place...local monopoly supermarket chain sucks for meats and fish. I could drive for 40 minutes....

A desert?

Perhaps it is. Plenty of civilization nearby, but no WF...no decent fish place...local monopoly supermarket chain sucks for meats and fish. I could drive for 40 minutes....

Ah, distance is relative. I routinely drive 40 minutes to shop for various foods, but I commute abt 40 miles a day, so it's no big deal. And it's well worth the drive to get artisanal sausage from non-CAFO animals. I don't mind paying a premium price for a quality product, especially when I know the animals were humanely raised.

You could motor out to the Penn. Dutch Country some time. take a cooler w lots of ice. pick up some nice bulk from the Farmer Himself.

make some rolls. SV it. Freeze. cut/brown later

you know,visit those Amish Hot Spots: Intercourse, PA. Don't forget Blue Ball, PA either.

:biggrin:

• Like 1

Good idea. We have some mennonites who schlep their stuff to a sort of nearby market. Next time I'm there...

The Lancaster Co Amish and Mennnonites vary in the rigor of their practice. Most Amish don't drive, but will be driven. A whole job description of an "english" (which means all non-amish) guy who does the driving has evolved. Sort of a shabbos goy for the farmers.

A desert?

Ah, distance is relative. I routinely drive 40 minutes to shop for various foods, but I commute abt 40 miles a day, so it's no big deal. And it's well worth the drive to get artisanal sausage from non-CAFO animals. I don't mind paying a premium price for a quality product, especially when I know the animals were humanely raised.

I used to have an hour commute...uggh. And I'll drive for meat and fish, but it pisses me off. Our butcher isn't artisanal or non-CAFO, he's just a thief.

best pies I've ever had were fresh 'road-side' pies in the Lancaster Co Amish country.

the ladies had hand-made cabinet grade pie carriers too. Dove-tails. Breadboard shelves. They would congregate here and there

and set up a temporary stand.

don't think they sell sausage

you could check .

• Like 1

Lancaster, PA: Home of the capitalist Amish. I love them.

gfweb, on the weekends (probably not this time of year though) there is a very large Swap Meet/Farmer's Market in Denver, PA called The Green Dragon. Not only can you get meats and cheeses, sausages and whole chickens, but homemade candies, cakes, pies and jellies. There are entire shops devoted to handicrafts as well. Wooden toys and Amish dolls, table linens, quilts and that sort of thing.

Beware though that there are a large number of English hawking "as seen on tv" stuff and cheesy tee shirts with Amish sayings or caricatures , as well.

On your way back home, stop at Zinn's for lunch or an early supper. It's a family style Amish restaurant with either a menu or buffet style food. There is a giant Amishman out front named "Big Amos" (he's like the Big Man statues from the 30's) who spouts all kinds of Dutchy sayings.

Edited by annabelle (log)
  • Like 2