• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Bacon Brand – and Must to Avoid

weinoo

My favorite is homemade alder-smoked bacon. But when that's not available, I'm pretty happy with Fletcher's center cut bacon at Costco. To avoid: Hemplers -- it's sour tasting.

Sour?

Sounds like it was off.

Did you return it?

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

My favorite is homemade alder-smoked bacon. But when that's not available, I'm pretty happy with Fletcher's center cut bacon at Costco. To avoid: Hemplers -- it's sour tasting.

Sour?

Sounds like it was off.

Did you return it?

The sour taste seems to be a characteristic of the brand...not a bad package. I tasted some sour bacon at someone's house recently and sure enough...it was Hemplers.

• 4 months later...

Recently tried Wright's...no, just no!!!  :shock:

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

We just got a new Lucky's Market here in town and I must say I've become addicted to their bacon!  It's just the right amount of lean/fat and they actually smoke it in store.  They have several different flavors available to suit what you're looking for I normally buy the plain but the orange honey is quite interesting and nice for a change.  The other great advantage is that it's reasonably priced, $5.99 per pound and being local I can go buy it when I need it.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Since you're in NYC, try the bacon from Flying Pigs Farm at the Union Square Greenmarket. Their pork belly is the best so its no surprise their bacon is equally amazing. All of their pork is so much different than what I get from what I get from the butcher.