• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Another use for a chamber vacuum sealer: re-crisp celery

abadoozy

Thought I'd post this as I was just tickled it worked.

The other night I pulled out the celery, only to find it went limp in the fridge. Blech. I've previously re-crisped celery by cutting the end off and leaving it in a glass of water for an hour or so, but I didn't have that amount of time. So rather than using limp celery, I started to think. Hmmm... I wonder if I could use the vacuum sealer to speed up the re-crisping process?

I pulled out a shallow tupperware container, filled it with water, and cut the celery in half, to about 4" lengths. Threw them in the water, put the whole bowl in the chamber of the sealer. Let it vacuum for 30 secs or so.

It worked WONDERFULLY. I had super-crisp celery in less than a minute. Very cool!

• Like 4