• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Transforming Sauerkraut into Kimchi Using Vacuum Pickling

nickrey

I recently purchased a Harsch fermenting crock and made up my first lot of Sauerkraut, which is absolutely delicious.

I've also wanted to make some Kimchi but feel that I won't use the large amount that using the crock would create. Short of giving it away to friends (a reasonable solution), I decided to experiment with transforming the kraut into kimchi.

Reasoning that the sauerkraut is already full of lovely fermented goodies, it seemed that I'd need to add some other elements such as carrot and onion as well as some additional flavourings.

What I did was put some sauerkraut in a vacuum pack bag along with some finely sliced onion and some shredded carrot (again finely cut on a mandolin, this time with the medium slicing blade added). To this I added three different types of chili: A squirt of Sriracha sauce, some crushed fresh chili, and some ssamjang fermented chili paste. I also added some crushed garlic.

In order to infuse the extra flavourings into the sauerkraut and to part process and force the mix plus sauerkraut juice into the onion and carrot, I used my chamber vacuum sealer. By running a full vacuum four times with no sealing I was able to mix all the ingredients and infuse them into the vegetables.

The result was very tasty, still crunchy, and a very good substitute for conventionally made kimchi. I'm going to do it again, next time experimenting with some additional elements.

• Like 4

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

""" By running a full vacuum four times with no sealing I was able to mix all the ingredients and infuse them into the vegetables. ""

Ive been thinking about this same subject for a few days, after seeing the vid for the PolyScience Chamber Vac ( USD 1,000 )

Id be very interested in other chamber vac experience here on these sorts of thing

many thanks !

BTW would you consider sealing the 'kimchi' in the bag so as to keep it in the refrig for a few days? as an easy storage method ?

• Like 1