• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sweet Potato Skin - Eat It?

weinoo

So, I like the skin on russets, reds, Yukon golds, etc. And, because I try not to buy commercial potatoes, I believe they're (the skins and underlying flesh) quite healthy.

But what about the skin on sweet potatoes? Who eats and why? Who doesn't...and why not?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Only if cooked on the bbq, so it gets crispy and caramelized...and I probably only eat half of it, its a bit tougher than the typical russet and I get bored with chewing.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Toots and I enjoy the skins on all potatoes, including sweet potatoes and yams, but we limit our enjoyment to non commercial (organic and home grown) potatoes. Good, healthy nourishment.

• Like 1

... Shel

I like, and eat, any potato skin. Commercial or artisan, domestic or exotic, I love all potato skins.

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

Does anyone have information on the cleaning process for root vegetables? Naive, maybe, but I assume water rinses for potatoes, carrots,yams, radishes, onions etc. I have heard that potatoes can be irradiated without displaying this on the label.

Is there anything else they can do?

Does anyone have information on the cleaning process for root vegetables? Naive, maybe, but I assume water rinses for potatoes, carrots,yams, radishes, onions etc. I have heard that potatoes can be irradiated without displaying this on the label.

Is there anything else they can do?

Dunk them in a mountain stream? Wax them? It all depends on where you are and who you buy your produce from….. Mine are most likely to have been dunked in a stream or polished in a burlap sack, so I just scrub 'em with a bit of water and a brush to get the rest of the dirt off.

For my own self, I eat sweet-potato skins when the tubers are young and the skins tender. If they're old or tough tubers, I peel and chuck the skins.

• Like 2

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

As long as you wash it properly I don't see why you wouldn't eat it. I love fries with the skin on. Hardly any restaurants do it...

Is there a proper way to wash a potato, and, if so, what is it?

... Shel

As long as you wash it properly I don't see why you wouldn't eat it. I love fries with the skin on. Hardly any restaurants do it...

I'd say: scrub until the dirt's gone. End of story.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I'd say: scrub until the dirt's gone. End of story.

Keep your pinkies in the air while scrubbing. :rolleyes: