• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montreal Smoked Turkey

Chef James

I would love it, if someone could help me ? Looking for any information about the history and the making of Montreal Smoked Turkey, which is heavily spiced and smoked. The Jewish people would buy them for Hanukah and the non-Jewish for Christmas. I have tried the web and only found "the jew and the carrot" blog. So Thank you for any help you can give me.

You friend from the USA

I don't know about the history, though I do know it's still popular (we ship some Montreal smoked turkeys in for the Chanukah). Have you tried contacting any of the companies that do them in Montreal? Lester's and Schwartz's are just two companies that do them.

• 2 weeks later...

So basically its turkey pastrami. I'd check out that thread above...lots of discussion on spice mixes. How will you cook it?

I cook smoked turkey breast SV and it comes out beautifully. I cool smoke first then SV. I suppose that cure, followed by smoke and then SV would work if the cure wasn't too salty.

Edited by gfweb (log)