• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Tea Are You Drinking Today? (Part 3)

Richard Kilgore

55 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Did you season your Yixin teapot?  Also, it's typical to only use that one pot for a single kind of tea.  So, if you use it for oolongs, don't also use it for green or red teas, etc.

Thanks for the info Kenneth about the Ti Kuan Yin. I thought it was all black oolong. 

TenRen is the only legit supplier I know in the US so I drink whatever they happen to be selling. 

I read something about seasoning the teapot but..it's like I know I have to season a cast iron (for non-stick) but wasn't sure the reasons for seasoning the teapot so I just skipped it used it after rinsing with some warm water. 

It feels ok so far. 

4 minutes ago, eugenep said:

Thanks for the info Kenneth about the Ti Kuan Yin. I thought it was all black oolong. 

TenRen is the only legit supplier I know in the US so I drink whatever they happen to be selling. 

I read something about seasoning the teapot but..it's like I know I have to season a cast iron (for non-stick) but wasn't sure the reasons for seasoning the teapot so I just skipped it used it after rinsing with some warm water. 

It feels ok so far. 

The clay used for the Yixin tea pot is slightly porous, so oils and other stuff from the tea will lodge themselves in the clay.  The "seasoning" process basically makes a really strong infusion and allows it to sit, soaking into the clay.  As you use it, it will soak in more and more - this is why you only want to use 1 type of tea with each pot, especially when using high quality (read expensive) teas, you want to taste THAT tea, not a mixture of teas.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, eugenep said:

Recently, I broke my $200 special clay teapot. It kinda looks like the pic below but much better looking. It happened in like 5 seconds when I dropped it in the sink and it was crushing. I got a cheaper one for $33 from amazon that should come in the mail today. I don't want to get another one and break that too. 

Sorry you broke your special pot, but thank you for supporting potters by doing so

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

Did you season your Yixin teapot?  Also, it's typical to only use that one pot for a single kind of tea.  So, if you use it for oolongs, don't also use it for green or red teas, etc.

I believe you don't season tea pots - just use them and over time they become better - especially for unglazed pots. Rinse them out and call it good.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

12 hours ago, haresfur said:

I believe you don't season tea pots - just use them and over time they become better - especially for unglazed pots. Rinse them out and call it good.

That's true, but doing the seasoning step just speeds it up a bit.