• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Tea Are You Drinking Today? (Part 3)

Richard Kilgore

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, heidih said:

I am generally a generic black tea or jasmine tea drinker but my son gave me this and I do enjoy it

tea.JPG

That is black tea... "Gold" isn't a new kind of tea... it is a way of selling better quality black tea.  some black teas exhibit gold-ish looking  tips... 

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

3 hours ago, cdh said:

That is black tea... "Gold" isn't a new kind of tea... it is a way of selling better quality black tea.  some black teas exhibit gold-ish looking  tips... 

K thnks.  Does taste a grade above generic.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
12 minutes ago, shain said:

Black tea, gin some sugar.

Damn. I’m all out of gin. I don’t like tea but gin could definitely improve it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 year later...

I'll give this thread a bump.  I usually roast my own coffee but I decided to try a local roaster's espresso blend while I'm waiting for my order from Sweet Maria.   I pulled a flat white this morning and the coffee was quite delicious.  A little pricey at $16 for 12 oz but the quality of the coffee is very good and not over-roasted.

IMG_20221115_091814929_HDR.thumb.jpg.89af20c1680470278c604823271e5cf7.jpg

49 minutes ago, Steve Irby said:

I'll give this thread a bump.  I usually roast my own coffee but I decided to try a local roaster's espresso blend while I'm waiting for my order from Sweet Maria.   I pulled a flat white this morning and the coffee was quite delicious.  A little pricey at $16 for 12 oz but the quality of the coffee is very good and not over-roasted.

IMG_20221115_091814929_HDR.thumb.jpg.89af20c1680470278c604823271e5cf7.jpg

Nice looking cuppa - but was TEA involved ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey I have Liptons in the pantry and it makes a decent iced and  you pumped it up with the Meyer lemon. I had a friend who generously shared from her prolific tree. Sadly my ancient sick "regular" lemon manages only a handful a year and not aided by drought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I like a nice size mug for tea. My daughter gave me a great creamic mug for Christmas, it fits perfectly in my hands. It also came with a travel lid and fits in the cupholder in my vehicle. My other daughter, knowing my love of all things ginger, gave me this Stash tea, which I am going through at a rapid rate.

Tea2.jpg

tea1.jpg

• Like 1

After years of the frustrating "what would you each like after dinner, espresso, decaf, tea, tissane?" and having each of 8 guests pick something different, we now serve mint tissane that we were served in France.    Very simply a big handful of freshly picked mint steeped in boiling water.    Subtle while bracing, no caffeine, pairs with any dinner menu.   No need for "milk or sugar".   Over and well-done.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

I tried Oolong black tea by TenRen recently. 

The flavor was surprisingly clear. I really could taste smoke from roasting and vegetal aromas. 

I think TenRen makes very high quality teas that you can get at different grades/quality. 

I tried Sun's in NYC's Chinatown and it was so-so. But TenRen has always been consistently good and you can buy online too. 

Recently, I broke my $200 special clay teapot. It kinda looks like the pic below but much better looking. It happened in like 5 seconds when I dropped it in the sink and it was crushing. I got a cheaper one for $33 from amazon that should come in the mail today. I don't want to get another one and break that too. 

image.png.85138bdefc4cf1fed2024e8bb095883b.png
1600 x 1600 · jpeg

image.png.38de4ed086b9fa48afd66e80144ef704.png

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, eugenep said:

I tried Oolong black tea by TenRen recently. 

The flavor was surprisingly clear. I really could taste smoke from roasting and vegetal aromas. 

I think TenRen makes very high quality teas that you can get at different grades/quality. 

I tried Sun's in NYC's Chinatown and it was so-so. But TenRen has always been consistently good and you can buy online too. 

Recently, I broke my $200 special clay teapot. It kinda looks like the pic below but much better looking. It happened in like 5 seconds when I dropped it in the sink and it was crushing. I got a cheaper one for $33 from amazon that should come in the mail today. I don't want to get another one and break that too. 

image.png.85138bdefc4cf1fed2024e8bb095883b.png
1600 x 1600 · jpeg

image.png.38de4ed086b9fa48afd66e80144ef704.png

TenRen is great, but expensive.  I don't understand the 'oolong black tea'.  What is called black tea in English countries is typically called red tea in China, and oolongs are neither (no matter whether you call it red or black).  Different oolongs have had different amounts of fermentation prior to drying, and many other differences, but I've never heard of one described as black.  Do you have a link or a photo of the package?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KennethT said:

TenRen is great, but expensive.  I don't understand the 'oolong black tea'.  What is called black tea in English countries is typically called red tea in China, and oolongs are neither (no matter whether you call it red or black).  Different oolongs have had different amounts of fermentation prior to drying, and many other differences, but I've never heard of one described as black.  Do you have a link or a photo of the package?

Oh yeah. They have red, yellow, green, white teas. 

But I guess for me it's easier to just make a green tea vs. black tea distinction (easier to think about). 

I bought a green oolong tea and something called "Ti Kuan Yin Tea." I looked it up on google and it said it's actually a dark (I call it black) oolong tea.

The green oolong tea I got looks like the one below. It tastes just okay. The Jamine tea I got from TenRen has stronger flavors and aromas than the pricier green oolong: 

image.png.de3d5730afc842bae921b93ac373dbe5.png

铁观音 (Simplified Chinese) / 鐵觀音 (Traditional Chinese) (tiě guān yīn in the Mandarin spoken where it is grown in Fujian province) is neither classified as green tea (绿茶 / 綠茶 - lǜ chá) or red (红茶 / 紅茶 - hóng chá), but as a category of its own - 乌龙茶 / 烏龍茶 - wū lóng chá, literally dark dragon tea and known in the west as Oolong tea. It is considered to be a superior oolong by most people. Oolong is also produced in other parts of China but can only be called tiě guān yīn if it comes from Fujian.

In terms of fermentation, it lies between green and red (black), being only fermented around half as long as true red teas.

龙井茶 / 龍井茶 (lóng jǐng chá) is a green tea grown in Zhejiang province only and also has strictly enforced protected origin status.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I just got my teapot from Amazon. The prior one that broke costed close to $200. This one costed only $33 and it looks like the quality is very good. I think i got ripped off? 

I don't think there is any way to judge the quality and price of yixing teapots? 

I made the green oolong with it 

16767597909333297679088665831067.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eugenep said:

Oh yeah. They have red, yellow, green, white teas. 

But I guess for me it's easier to just make a green tea vs. black tea distinction (easier to think about). 

I bought a green oolong tea and something called "Ti Kuan Yin Tea." I looked it up on google and it said it's actually a dark (I call it black) oolong tea.

The green oolong tea I got looks like the one below. It tastes just okay. The Jamine tea I got from TenRen has stronger flavors and aromas than the pricier green oolong: 

image.png.de3d5730afc842bae921b93ac373dbe5.png

Tikuanyin is probably the most common oolong here in the US, but it's a quite generic term.  There are many grades and producers of it, and it can vary quite a bit depending on the source.  I've had some super high quality tikuanyin in Singapore that was amazing- not so green so it tastes like a freshly mown lawn (I've had some Taiwanese tikuanyin that tasted that way) but not so fermented as to look black.  This one tea store in Singapore probably has at least 20 different oolongs, 5 or 6 of them are called tikuanyin, of varying grades and provenances (depending on location/slope/sun exposure/picking time/etc within the Fujian province).  I get a relatively inexpensive tikuanyin at McNulty's in NYC that acts as my standard weekend afternoon tea.

2 minutes ago, eugenep said:

I just got my teapot from Amazon. The prior one that broke costed close to $200. This one costed only $33 and it looks like the quality is very good. I think i got ripped off? 

I don't think there is any way to judge the quality and price of yixing teapots? 

I made the green oolong with it 

16767597909333297679088665831067.jpg

Did you season your Yixin teapot?  Also, it's typical to only use that one pot for a single kind of tea.  So, if you use it for oolongs, don't also use it for green or red teas, etc.