• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Tea Are You Drinking Today? (Part 3)

Richard Kilgore

• 3 months later...

Hello- I recently discovered the green tea produced by Alwazah. I was a big fan of their black tea and their green tea is now my staple green tea. I drink it daily!

Edited by Naftal (log)

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

• 2 weeks later...

My wife is in to Earl Grey recently, but a lot of them (loose leaf) are all bouquet and no flavour, so I have mixed 50g Irish Breakfast with 10g of Earl Grey (in a tin and shake) for a stronger tea with the bergamont smell added.

• 2 weeks later...

Alwazah's loose black tea. My wife and I discovered a nice middle eastern store in the area (Chapel Hill/Durham/Raleigh, NC) and they have a good supply. They also have Alwazah's green tea, which (per Naftal's suggestion above) I'll try next.

• 6 months later...

Thought I'd give this topic a bump.

I have typically found darjeeling... limited. But Greg Glancy at Norbu sent me a sample of Castleton Moonlight (which sounds like a Wes Anderson movie title itself) second flush 2013, and I really like it a lot. It's malty, slightly sweet, with some citrusy top notes. Going to ask for that for Xmas, I think!!

• Like 1

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 4 weeks later...

Been drinking plenty of tea, as usual, but not posting about it: 1-4 sessions daily, at work (often shared) and at home. And as time goes by I'm still a tea omnivore--white, greens, oolongs, puerhs, occasional blacks and herbals. Today's infusions, so far: Aoi sencha from O-Cha, vegetal and sweet; Jiri-Mountain Hwang Cha from Morning Crane tea (day 2 with these leaves, still lovely after a 8-10 infusions altogether), fruity and tart and rich; and a sample of Ripe/shu pu from Yunnan Sourcing, 2011 'Man Tang Hong Number 2', bulk brewed in a thermos and deliciously earthy, a touch smoky, and sweet despite the unorthodox brewing. Will have at least one more batch before bedtime, not sure what it should be....need to start dinner and see what feels right.

• 1 month later...

I have been drinking and giving to friends a lot of Norbu's Deejoo Assam. Probably close to a kilo in the past year. Also drinking lately a Weng Jia Shan Long Jing from Norbu and a beautiful Chamomile from Cultured Cup (grocery store chamomile usually looks like it has been massaged by elephants). As I have mentioned many times here, Greg at Norbu and Phil and Kyle at the Cultured Cup are long-time tea and Asian food friends. Both have been essential to my tea education.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally finished my Ito En Ooi Ocha Ichibantsumi sencha, so now on that front I'm left with some really fancy stuff my friend got my in Kyoto (the package is entirely in Japanese, but it's some sort of sencha). It is VERY light and delicate compared to most other (admittedly not high end) senchas I've had before.

Also finished my Alwazah FBOP1 Cardamom, which means I need a new Ceylon black tea for making Iraqi tea. My two Turkish teas (Çaykur Rize Turist Çay and Çaykur Tiryaki Çayı) dont have the same flavor profile of a good Ceylon.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished my Ito En Ooi Ocha Ichibantsumi sencha, so now on that front I'm left with some really fancy stuff my friend got my in Kyoto (the package is entirely in Japanese, but it's some sort of sencha). It is VERY light and delicate compared to most other (admittedly not high end) senchas I've had before.

Also finished my Alwazah FBOP1 Cardamom, which means I need a new Ceylon black tea for making Iraqi tea. My two Turkish teas (Çaykur Rize Turist Çay and Çaykur Tiryaki Çayı) dont have the same flavor profile of a good Ceylon.

Hello- Like you, I like the Alwazah FBOP1. However, lately, I have been drinking a lot of the Ceylon tea packaged by Ahmad Tea Ltd.Have you tried it? I am really enjoying it!

Edited by Naftal (log)

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Hello- Like you, I like the Alwazah FBOP1. However, lately, I have been drinking a lot of the Ceylon tea packaged by Ahmad Tea Ltd.Have you tried it? I am really enjoying it!

Ahmad Tea is also good stuff - they have a much wider selection so for many full-bodied black leaf teas they're my choice. They also make some of the best no-nonsense teabags, their "English Tea No. 1". Right now I replaced my Alwazah with Ahmad Ceylon w Cardamom, but I have yet to see how it fares in the Samovar test.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently had a Muslim student in a philosophy class who recommended Ahmad tea over Alwazah; I've yet to try it because I'm trying to drink all of my Alwazah first...

Hello-Recently, I've been revisiting some old tea "friends".  I have been brewing wu yi yan cha and an ji in my gaiwan. Drinking them this way has made me appreciate them even more. Also, today, I had a peony white for the first time. It was wonderful.

• 4 months later...

Hello- On my recent trip to Chicago, I stopped by a Chinese Teahouse in Evanston called "Dreaming of Tea". I Had a nice pu'erh. An then, after we talked for awhile and the proprietor saw how serious I was about tea, he brought out something that was not on the menu board. The tea was a green called Kai Hua Long Ding or "Dragon Top". As the leaves fell, they remained up-right and stood vertically in the bottom of the cup so when I moved the cup it looked just like grass blowing in the wind! I apologize for the fact that I lack the technology to send the pictures I took :sad:  :sad:  :shock: Eventually, perhaps.......

Edited by Naftal (log)

• 3 weeks later...

I have been drinking several teas I recently bought from Greg Glancy at norbutea.com: Thurbo Tippy Clonal Darjeeling, second flush (2013); Margaret's Hope SFTGFOP1 Darjeeling, second flush (2013); and Rou Gui Wuyi Oolong. Spring Harvest (2012). Enjoying all of them. Darjeeling quality was hit pretty hard for several years, but these two are delicious - my morning teas.

I have gotten away from green teas for some time, except for one from Norbu, but plan to order Japanese green teas soon from Japan.

• Like 1

Hello- I recently was able to renew my supply of sencha. I'm drinking my favorite version: the one produced by Yamamotoyama.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello- Today I made a really strong pot of Ceylon Black. The temperature is dropping and that means -for me- more black tea.

• 4 weeks later...