• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Tea Are You Drinking Today? (Part 3)

Richard Kilgore

[Moderator note: The original What Tea Are You Drinking Today? topic became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it up; the preceding part of this discussion is here: What Tea Are You Drinking Today? (Part 2)]

Morning started with the Yi Mei Ren Wulian Mountain Yunnan Blcak Tea from norbutea.com. Brewed in a 300 ml Yixing teapot reserved for Chinese black teas, and a wonderful improvement over brewing this already good tea in a gaiwan. Followed by the Zheng He Bai Mu Dan White Tea from jingteashop.com. Brewed in a different Yixing, this Bai Mu Dan is light and ephemeral.

What teas are you all drinking today?

Edited by Mjx
Moderator note added. (log)

The past couple of days has been a generic cold-brew black tea. I left it in the container in the fridge for the past three days, and still no sign of over-extraction. A very refreshing late night sip, or an early morning wake up without any effort.

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

Lots of disruption in my tea lately with work and travel etc. But today managed three teas, some nice puerh from Chado (intriguingly labelled 1992, but not enough info is given in the description to be sure that means it is actually an aged loose tea from 1992; the fine-pieced leaves are more consistent with a keemun than a typical puerh. Regardless, it's a nice tea.

Then some Yin Zhen from the Cultured Cup, found a tiny bit left from the recent tasting, so nice; and Tie Guan Yin from Jing Tea Shop, a splendid tea that needs to be finished off before it goes off.

A little bit of disruption here, too. The last few days I have started the day with one of several black teas: Keemun Hao Ya B and Assam Konghea Estate, Golden Bud, both from Tea Source; and American Breakfast Tea (a blend of Indonesian and Indian teas) from The Cultured Cup. During the days, shinchas from yuuki-cha.com (saemidori and kabusecha) and Old Plantation Qing Xin Oolong (Taiwanese) from Norbu Tea, as well as a AAA Mao Jian from jingteashop.com have been brewing.

Today a Yunnan Golden Tips from The Cultured Cup started the day, and I have also been brewing additional infusions of the AAA Mao Jian. Not sure what's next.

So, what teas are you all drinking in your part of the world?

Another Tea Tasting & Discussion starts today! If you are subscribed to this Coffee & Tea Forum, you will be among the first to know!

Nice selection of teas, WC.

Several infusions of the Kabusecha featured in the Japanese Shincha Tea Tasting & Discussion. Really enjoying this brewed with a higher leaf:water ratio.

For the last few mornings, including today, the wonderful Nilgiri Glendale Estate, Handmade has been in my cup. Afternoons, the Magokuro, Saemidori and Kabusecha shinchas. Saturday, I did an extended tasting session of Oolong,red, and puerh teas with a tea friend...bzzzz.

So what's in your tea cup today on your side of the globe, tea drinkers?

Due to success brewing the Pai Mu Tan from the recent White Tea TT&D in a Yixing teapot, today I brewed the Silver Needles (both from The Cultured Cup). Very interesting. The teapot clay really deepens and smooths the flavor. Worth experimenting if you have a spare, unused Yixing. I doubt all Yixing clays will have a simialr effect, but I'll be curious to read about it if anyone else tries this. I'll post a little more in the White & Yellow Tea topic after trying a few more Bai Mu Tans and Silver Needles.

Today, started with Sayamakaori sencha, but somehow missed the magic window--not as sweetly perfect as it can be. Hope I haven't let this one be open too long. Then on a nice thermos of Haiwan purple bud Sheng puerh, but tonight will be heading to bed early, so no end of day cuppa. Sigh. The green tea tasting post has me craving some nice green tea to end the day, and since my Jin Xuan is at work, the Dragon Well is calling. Must resist!

Slow tea day so far. The American Breakfast Tea (essentially an Irish breakfast tea, composed of Indonesian and Indian black teas) from The Cultured Cup. That's it. Maybe a hojicha this evening.

Hope you all had a good day for tea. What ones have you all been drinking in your part of the world?

I had Rishi's new Chocolate Chai tea for breakfast. Its really interesting with a nice cocoa and cardamom note. The pu-erh and yerba mate are pushed to the background.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

A Nepal Chiyabari Estate black tea from The Cultured Cup in my cup this morning. I have come to like this a great deal. Quite a bit of iced tea - it's about 100f heat index here today. A green tea and an Oolong to come.

How about you all? What teas for you today?

A Nepal Chiyabari Estate black tea from The Cultured Cup in my cup this morning. I have come to like this a great deal. Quite a bit of iced tea - it's about 100f heat index here today. A green tea and an Oolong to come.

How about you all? What teas for you today?

Just now sipping the rich Shui Jin Gui 2009 Wu Yi Oolong from Norbu Tea. Brewed 2 g/ounce of water in a small (90 ml) Yixing.

Started out drinking the Yunnan Golden Tips red/black tea from The Cultured Cup. A commendable Yunnan red that I managed to make barely drinkable by getting distracted and brewing it way - too - long. Next, I'll continue brewing the Wuyi Oolong from Norbu Tea that I started yesterday; should be one or two more infusions left in it.

Please note that in the new Chinese Green Tea TT&D topic I have added links to interesting maps that show the location of the villages where the two teas come from.

So, what teas are you all drinking today in your part of the world?

Slow tea day so far. This morning's Hime hikari Japanese black tea from yuuki-cha...smooth. A Japanese green tea soon.

Over the weekend, brewing the Chinese green teas and the teas for iced tea in the two current Tea Tasting & Discussions, as well as Japanese shinchas.

What teas are you all drinking in your part of the world?

Brewing a smooth, elegant red/black tea from China: a Fujian Bai Liu Gongfu from jingteashop.com. Brewed in a larger Yixing with a ratio of 2.5 g/6 ounces water.

What teas are you drinking in your part of the eGullet world - UK, Europe, Middle East, Asia, SE Asia, India, Australia, Canada, Mexico, Central, South America, US?

Brewing a smooth, elegant red/black tea from China: a Fujian Bai Liu Gongfu from jingteashop.com. Brewed in a larger Yixing with a ratio of 2.5 g/6 ounces water.

What teas are you drinking in your part of the eGullet world - UK, Europe, Middle East, Asia, SE Asia, India, Australia, Canada, Mexico, Central, South America, US?

The last hour or so, three infusions of the Organic Magokoro Shincha from yuuki-cha.com. Very nice delicate Japanese green, brewed at .75g/ounce of water, 154f. Should provide at least one more pleasant infusion.

Sayamakaori sencha from Yuuki-cha this morning, extra nice (more about that in the japanese green tea topic). Will be trying something puerh a little later, not sure if it will be a young loose sheng or one of the aged samples I got from Essence of Tea.

Yesterday I started with the sencha, and moved on to some Lemon Myrtle Rooibos from the Cultured Cup (brewed hot but chilled a bit with ice, we're finally into some scorching fall heat here), and then some Dragon Well.

Also yesterday set up a couple of cold brewed tea experiments with more of the Dragon Well and some Silver Dragon white tea steeping overnight in the fridge, because the heat made me do it. Will report elsewhere if the experiments are successful!

I'll be interested in however your cold-brew experiments turn out, WC. Always something we can learn from it.

Last two mornings, the Yi Mei Ren Wuliang red/black tea from Norbu Tea in my cup. And this afternoon sipping the Organic Asatsuyu Shincha from Yuuki-Cha - love the mild nutty-roasty note.

The beautiful and delicious Nilgiri Glendale Estate Handmade from Tea Source in my morning cup today. Those are absolutely gorgeous long, twisted leaves that produce this tea liquor!

How about you all? What teas are you drinking today? This week?