• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Tea Are You Drinking Today? (Part 2)

Richard Kilgore

I have just stuffed my latest purchases into my tea cabinet, and I realize I could skip buying anymore tea for, oh, another 5 years or so, except for the ones that have to be drunk more quickly because they won't age well....

Starting the morning with sencha (Okuyutaka from Yuuki-cha again).

Good Morning!

I don't know today. I have some green mangosten peach still that I could drink (yeah, it's lipton, but it is tasty on a summer day) Or I could go for some coconut white. I don't know yet, probably both today.

:wink:

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Had Anqi TieGuanYin 安嵠鐵觀音 last night after a big rich meal. Brewed for 3 minutes.

Am having XiHu Longjing 西湖龍井 after light lunch. Brewed for 90 seconds over not boiling hot water.

Welcome. Parigi!

I have a few new Long Jing green teas (one of my favorite teas) in from China last week. When you have time, please tell us more in the Chinese Green Tea topic about the Long Jing you are drinking.

First tea of the day for me was the 2010 Organic Asatsuyu Shincha from yuuki-cha.com. Nice mild roast on the processing finish.

More green teas of some sort this afternoon.

Anyone else drinking tea today?

Yes, drinking some of one of my first puerhs, the 'palace seven sons cake' that I think was from TenRen. It's a nice pu, probably shu/cooked, not as fruity and delicious as the Lao Cha Tou from norbu I was drinking recently, but still helping me through evening paperwork. Interesting to remember that it was the most expensive pu I've bought to date except one, and it is nowhere near the best shu, much less the best, period.

Earlier some Bai Yun fall 2009 Oolong from Norbu--a free sample with a previous order, that I had forgotten I had. I ordered some of the Bai Yun with this last order, wondering how it would compare to the Yunnan Sourcing 'Oriental Beauty' style oolong I got last year. It was nice, but not enough attention to the brewing to properly compare it to the YS version.

But as it turns out, the last of the YS is here at this office, and I will bring it home with me to compare properly to the Bai Yun.

Edited by Wholemeal Crank (log)

Well, today is my Friday, thank the heavens! So I think I am going for some orange dulce from mighty leaf, I am thinking some PG Tips this morning.

I wanted to ask, I looked at my coconut white from republic of tea and noticed the date on the bottom of the tin was dated 2007. I have not thrown the tea out, but was wondering when tea goes bad? Does anyone know?

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I know that one of my best tea experiences was drinking from a tin of pouchong that has sat for a very long time in the back of my cupboard, unopened, at least 2-3 years. But that was an unflavored tea, and it was still in the factory-sealed container.

I don't know whether the coconut flavoring is likely to go bad--dried coconut certainly lasts a long time, so I doubt it will go off quickly. I'd think as long as it smells ok, it's worth trying. And if it tastes good, keep brewing it.

Today I brewed up some 2010 shincha and some 2009 Tie Guan Yin. The TGY was vacuum sealed until a week or two ago, however.

Home today, the start of a three day weekend. I have some really great blueberry lemon rooibos to brew iced from Teavana. I also have some some of there gingerbread cookie (which tastes more fruity than cookie) to have hot, I may dip into my silver needle later just because. :smile:

It's been shinchas for me the past couple of days: the 2010 Organic Asahina Kabusecha Shincha featured in the current Tea Tasting & Discussion and the 2010 Organic Kagoshima Shincha Magokoro. Both from yuuki-cha. I really have come to appreciate organic Japanese teas over the past year.

It was 103f yesterday and it will be again today, so lots of water and iced tea, too.

Another Tea Tasting & Discussion coming soon, featuring three teas for iced or cold brewed tea. Free samples to three eGullet Society members, as usual. If you are subscribed to this Coffee & Tea Forum, you'll be among the first to know about it.

So, what teas are you all drinking in your part of the world? Iced or hot?

ICED.....BRING ME MORE ICED!

edit to add due to stupid computer: It was 105f here today! Insanely hot out there and there is nothing to do but say inside with the a/c cranked and the iced tea flowing. Cold brew stash peach black..

Edited by CKatCook (log)

I am sympathetic. More iced tea and water here, too: 102f today and 104f coming tomorrow.

In addition, I have been drinking Old Plantation Qing Xin Oolong (Fall Harvest 2009) from Norbu Tea, as well as Matcha and a Japanese black tea, both from yuuki-cha,com.

Today has been some plain ole' lipton iced. There are days I like just some plain tea like this. I guess it is a carry over from my childhood when that was the only tea I knew, I don't know. (shrug)

DanCong or puerh sounds good to me, too. Maybe later today. So far it's been iced tea (100f right this moment and probably 104f in an hour or two) and some absolutely delicious Assam Konghea Estate, Golden Bud from teasource.com. This must be my best brewing of this Assam...ever. And I could not tell you what I did different. Another tea mystery.

I was looking at my tea stash this morning and discovered some great choco nut green from teavana. I am actually excited about it! Then some vanilla roobios in the afternoon, I think.

Have a great day!!

Richard - I am going to have to check out tea source. What is good from there?

Today there was little tea, but it was good. I drank some dragon well during a long meeting, refilling from the hot water on the water cooler, and it was either not hot enough to bring out the flavor, or the length of the meeting required too many infusions from the leaves. At the end of the afternoon, has some lovely infusions of the Norbu Wulian Shan Mao Cha from my recent tasting. Very nice.

But the day was seriously lacking in shincha. Tomorrow hope to make up for that.

Wholemeal - I hear ya' on that one. I had the same kind of thing with my choconut green. Does not make for a good day, huh?

Today it is going to be white teas. I am thinking pomegrante white, or some rishi peach white.

This morning started with the Vithanakanda Estate, Extra Special Ceylon from teasource.com. Still one of my favorite Ceylons. Now brewing more of some delicious shu pu-erh (1998? I'll have to check) from yunnansourcing.com that I started yesterday. Brewed in a Yixing made for me by a potter in Yixing last year from older, very nice clay.

The two shinchas from yuuki-cha.com featured in the current Tea Tasting & Discussion have also been among my daily cups the past few days. Two shinchas that I enjoy, but each distinctively different.

So, what types of teas have you all been drinking in your spot on the globe?

Today has been a pleasant day of tea: started with the kabusecha from the current tasting; moved to the other end of the spectrum iwth some loose puerh Mao Cha from Norbu, the Wulian Shan I reviewed recently, which went over very well with my colleagues in the office; then back to green with some Tai Ping Hou Kui; and ending with Dan Cong, always a nice punctuation to the day. Mmmm.

After a pleasant afternoon with some green Jin Xuan, I am now drinking some more of the Winter Dong Ding oolong from Norbu, such a smooth stand in for my old Ti Kuan Yin, all that smoky earthy odor but none of the rough edges.

A very good tea day, and I will try to bring the teapot home tonight for the tea tasting showdown between the shincha and the kabusecha.