• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Tea Are You Drinking Today? (Part 2)

Richard Kilgore

Started the day with a red/black Chinese tea, the Dian Hong Imperial from norbutea.com. Still one of my favorite red teas.

Since then, three infusions of the Organic Uji Tokusen Sencha from yuuki-cha.com.

And now just starting a gong fu session of Ban Tian Yao, one of the three Wuyi Oolongs from norbutea.com featured in the current Tea Tasting & Discussion.

Started the day with a red/black Chinese tea, the Dian Hong Imperial from norbutea.com. Still one of my favorite red teas.

Since then, three infusions of the Organic Uji Tokusen Sencha from yuuki-cha.com.

And now just starting a gong fu session of Ban Tian Yao, one of the three Wuyi Oolongs from norbutea.com featured in the current Tea Tasting & Discussion.

Also started a gong fu session with the Da Hong Pao featured in the Tea Tasting & Discussion. Comments to come in the TT&D.

This morning it was the Vithanakanda Estate, FOP Ceylon from Tea Source that I like so much.

Now continuing some infusions of the Norbu Tea Da Hong Pao I started too late yesterday to finish. This is one of the three Wuyi Cliff or Rock Oolongs featured in the current Tea Tasting & Discussion.

I'll be posting the next Tea Tasting & Discussion tomorrow. If you subscribe to the Coffee & Tea Forum, you'll be among the first to know.

So what teas are you all drinking today?

Today started with Sencha select, then moved on to Yunnan Mao Feng, there was a small brewing of some Dragon Well (which was not felicitiously paired with the aftertaste of a burrito with a strong chipotle salsa), and finished with a chamomile/mint.

Is the Monkey pick you're drinking a lightly oxidized or darker roasted oolong?

Edited by Wholemeal Crank (log)

Today in my cup was Monkey Picked Oolong. A fantastic oolong that I add just a bit of jasmine to add just a little spice to my cup. It's my favorite...at $25.00 an oz it should. be.

Welcome, Gail! Those are high income monkeys! Where did you get it?

Started the day with a 2008 Spring "Natural Habitat" WuDong FengHuang Dancong from Hou De Fine Tea. Began in a nice little 90 ml Yixing that I have been using for Dancong, but noticed two hairline cracks for the first time (a mystery), so now I am trying to figure out which Yixing among those available will do the best for Dancongs. More on this in the Oolong topic after I putter a bit.

Also brewed four very nice infusions of the Organic Uji Tokusen Sencha from yuuki-cha.com.

So, what teas are you brewing today in your part of the world?

Yesterday also brewed an aged TGY Oolong to continue seasoning a Yixing teapot. More on this in the Oolong topic. Then finished the evening with an Orange Rooibos from TCC.

Starting the morning today with the Mariage Freres Queen Victoris Darjeeling from The Cultured Cup.

Later today also brewed three infusions of the Organic Uji Tokusen Sencha from yuuki-cha.com.

Now finishing a gong fu cha session with the Shui Jin Gui featured as one of the three Wuyi Oolongs in the ongoing Tea Tasting & Discussion.

Started out with the Vithanakanda Estate, FOP Ceylon from Tea Source.

Also today continuing my matcha adventures in the Everything About Matcha topic.

So what teas are you all brewing today?

Today also gong fu cha brewed a Lao Cong Shui Xian Wuyi Oolong from jingteashop.com in an older Yixing. Nice cacao component. More on this in the Oolong topic after I have brewed it a few more times.

Yesterday finished the tea day with a small brewing of Bi Lo Chun from Jing Tea, and then started a gongfu session with a sample of a Menghai sheng puerh received in a tea swap with LuckyGirl. I'm not certain but I think this may be my first taste of a puerh from this famous factory (I have one sheng and one shu on order from Yunnan Sourcing). I did not get through many infusions so don't have a strong impression of this one yet. I'll probably brew a few more infusions before bedtime, hoping that there won't be much caffeine left to extract.....

Today started with more Sencha Select, drank the osmanthus oolong whose origin I can't recall during clinic, and am now finishing the evening paperwork with Yunnan Mao Feng.

So far today it's been thye Keemun Hao Ya A from teasource.com, followed by two bowls of matcha from my current tin of Organic Matcha Uji Yuuki Madori from yuuki-cha.com.

What's in your tea cup/pot/thermos today?

I had a RoT gift cert. to use so ordered their two new oolongs, Peach Blossom and Dragon.

Today I brewed a pot of of the Peach Blossom and the aroma is indeed very peachy.

I brewed the first time for 3 minutes and the liquor was almost winey with a very long, smooth finish. Repeat brewings at 7 minutes and 12 minutes produced excellent cups - a total of 9 cups (10 ounce) from three generous measures of the full-leaf tea.

Tomorrow I will try the Dragon.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I guess it's a TGY day, WmC. This evening it's an aged TGY Oolong and my Yixing now has a good start with the initial seasoning process. I would be glad to pour one of these aged TGYs for a guest. More soon in the Oolong topic on the three I have been brewing to season the pot.

Started the day with an Assam Konghea Estate, Golden Bud from Tea Source. Good despite a flavor-flattening cold coming on.

So what are you all brewing in your part of the tea world today?

Another not-so-happy-matcha trial first thing, more in the matcha topic when I download the pics.

Then Sencha Shin-ryoku from Dens, a sample included with my last order. Beautiful stuff, like this better than the Fukamashi Sencha. Will probably order this one next time.

Not sure where the tea day will go next. Probably should fill a thermos with something to carry around the house while I do chores. Puerh? Oolong? Chamomile? Hmmm.....

Also today had a raw pu-erh, a 2008 Yong Pin Hao, by mistake (don't ask) and a ripe pu-erh on purpose, a 2008 Nan Jian Tulin - better than it ought to be, both from Yunnan Sourcing.

After overnighting in the Yixing, the ripe pu-erh from yesterday became a morning mug of tea made up of two infusions.

I have also been brewing the Organic Uji Gyokuro Gokou from yuuki-cha.com. Multiple infusions in an older Japanese teapot, much like we do with Chinese teas in gaiwan and Yixings. Each infusion a little different, and I am enjoying the balance between the vegetal baby asparagus note and sweetness on the third infusion the best. I'll try two more.

Yesterday's tea day ended with the ginger-flower-fragrance Dan Cong from Tea Habitat, in a gong fu session that continued this morning, while I also prepared my daily sencha. Then moved on to some fall Ali Shan oolong. Not sure if there will be another bit of tea for the end of the day or not.