• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Tea Are You Drinking Today? (Part 2)

Richard Kilgore

Must have been an Assam Saturday, Jeff. I also had an Assam Konghea Estate, Golden Bud from Tea Source. Very nice!

Today started with an enjoyable Puttabong Estate first flush Darjeeling from The Cultured Cup.

Then continued with some experiments brewing the Aged TGY from norbutea.com in alternative tea pots. See the Oolong topic for more on this.

A chilly night had me steeping up a giant cup of smoky Russian Caravan from my local tea shop, sweetened with lavender honey from one of my favorite apiaries, Busy Bee Farm nearby in NJ. I'm fortunate to have both of these vendors at my disposal.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Started the day with the fine Vithanakanda Estate, Extra Special Ceylon tea from Tea Source. Followed by a couple of infusions of the aged TGY from Norbu Tea that I started yesterday.

Also had my daily bowl of matcha, now two bowls, and running low, so time to order another to try. And finishing the day with a pleasant cup of Sunset Orange Roibos from The Cultured Cup - more like a blood orange.

Yesterday started out with a Keemun Hao Ya A from Tea Source. Later the fine Dian Hong Imperial from norbutea.com. Also had a couple of aged TGYs, and I'll be brewing more of them and commenting in the Oolong topic over the next week or so.

Today, starting the day with the Mariage Freres Queen Victoria - second flush Darjeeling from The Cultured Cup.

In the near future, I'll be starting a Tea Tasting & Discussion for members who have never participated in a Tea Tasting & Discussion in the past. If you subscribe to this Coffee & Tea Forum, you'll be among the first to know.

So what teas are you all drinking in your part of the world today?

Finishing off the Royal Dragon's Well from wing hop fung, and earlier had a lovely brewing of my first puerh beeng, this one on the left

3744672109_edf7be3dfa.jpg

which was so sweet, earthy and lovely that I have fallen in love with it all over again.

And started the day with an excellent cup of sencha select.

Edited by Wholemeal Crank (log)

Yesterday I also had another aged TGY. Still seasoning the Yixing. More on these aged Oolongs over the next week or two in the Oolong topic.

Also yesterday a sencha from yuuki-cha.com after putting in an order since I am running low-or-out of organic matcha, sencha and gyokuro. And I needed the gyokuro soon for a talk on gyokuro brewing and Japanese houbin teapots next week at The Cultured Cup's T-Bar Club.

Today started with a Ceylon Lumbini Estate, FBOP - a very nice, inexpensive Ceylon from Tea Source.

The Yixing seasoning with aged TGY continues. Tasting a few infusions, rather than drinking, and nothing much to report until the seasoning begins to take hold.

Also brewing the yuuki-cha.com Organic Uji Tokusen Sencha. This inexpensive, light-steamed Uji sencha is still pleasant and holding up well, now into month two.

I have been drinking a Tisane in the evening for a few days, and I plan on brewing a cup again tonight: the Sunset Orange Roibos from The Cultured Cup.

The Assam Kongea Estate, Golden Bud from teasource.com this morning. My usual pattern is Japanese green tea next, but it's a cold, rainy-sleety day, so it was a smooth aged ripe pu-erh, a 2000 Longhe Tea Factory tea of Menghai from yunnansourcing.com. The sample was a little pricey, but delicious. All gone.

Now it's an Uji sencha from yuuki-cha.com. And waiting for a delivery of more.

So what teas are you all drinking today?

A four-tea day....started with more Ali Shan summer oolong, then moved on to a first gaiwan of Imperial Shi Feng Long Jing from JingTea, another of a mysteriously smoky Tian Mu Qing Ding from Chado (T-65), and finishing with several infusions of Chado's Grand Pouchong T-103. More in the green tea topic.

Started out with two cups of the beautiful Dian Hong Imperial from norbutea.com. A few hours later had my bowl of matcha from yuuki-cha.com, and now continuing with the Shui Jin Gui Wuyi Oolong from Norbu, one of the three Wuyi "cliff" Oolongs featured in the current Tea Tasting & Discussion.

Out of matcha now and looking forward to the next shipment from yuuki-cha arriving from Japan on Monday or Tuesday - that's something like three - four working days door-to-door, not bad.

So what are you all drinking in the way of tea this weekend on your spot on the planet?

Also today had the Uji sencha from yuukicha.com that I have not been using up fast enough. I know, I know...two months is way too long to hold onto a sencha. Still drinkable, but a mere shadow of its best tea-self. Next time I'll try to finish it within a month.

This evening been sipping infusions of the Ban Tian Yao Wuyi Oolong from norbutea.com, one of three Wuyi cliff Oolongs featured in the current Tea Tasting & Discussion.

The fine Ceylon Vithanakanda Estate, Extra Special from Tea Source was my first cup today.

There were also two Yixings with yesterday's leaves in them waiting to be brewed again, so I have been working my way through them: the 2000 Longhe Tea Factory tea of Menghai from yunnansourcing.com and the Ban Tian Yao Wuyi Oolong from norbutea.com.

So what's brewing in your part of the world?

Welcome, Cyndi. Since you enjoy blending your own, you may be interested in the topic on DIYS Tea Blending, as well as one on Herbal Teas/Tisanes. And if you enjoy green teas, the topics on Chinese Green Teas and Japanese Green Teas may be worth checking out.

Followed up with a few infusions of an aged TGY to continue seasoning a new-to-me Yixing. Coming along nicely. Maybe three more times will do it as a start.

Now brewing the Sencha Select from The Cultured Cup that Wholemeal Crank has been drinking.