• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Tea Are You Drinking Today? (Part 2)

Richard Kilgore

Today, started with the ginger flower fragrance Dan Cong Oolong from TeaHabitat, and used a little higher leaf to water ratio, 1.5 grams of leaf in my tiniest clay pot, which holds about 40 mL. It was just as lovely as my first infusion, and after 10 or 12 infusions, most 30-60 seconds, I had to leave for work, so I left the leaves there, and this evening, just did a quick rinse, and started up again. Now on what must be infusion 16 or 20, and it is still spicy, floral, sweet, lovely.

I have a sore throat (cold coming on), and it seems like I could just sit here by the stove for hours, cup after soothing cup. Mmmm.

I have been on the road this week and drinking less tea, though I took a houbin and sencha with me. We did stop in at the Steeping Room in Austin, Texas, where they have a light menu as well as tea by the pot and bulk tea to take home. We had a Ceylon, which they brewed in the kitchen and brought in a pot ready to drink. Also a Da Hong Pao (Big Red Robe) served gong fu cha at the table.

Starting the day with an Assam Kongea Estate, Golden Bud from Tea Source. Rich, malty and fruity.

So what teas are you all drinking in your part of the world this weekend?

Today, started off the the 2007 Po Tou Ginger Flower Fragrance Dan Cong Oolong I was drinking yesterday morning & last night. The leaves were left in my tiny pot, rinsed for the new session, and reinfused with hot water.

I have gotten another 6 or 8 infusions out of it, and now it is done.

Probably a net total of 25-30 infusions from 1.5 grams of tea, at 40mL per infusion that's about a liter of tea, net cost about $2.50. That's by far the most expensive tea I've ever bought to brew at home, but still in line with what I've paid for Peets or Starbucks to poorly prepare a much lesser brew. And it's a heck of a lot cheaper than fine wine.

I was out to dinner tonight and had no good option for tea after the not so great dinner. I brewed myself a cup of chrysanthemum tea when I got home and am enjoying it now. It has been a month or so since I've had a cup of chrysanthemum tea and I almost forgot how much I enjoy it and what a good digestive it is.

So far today - a Ceylon Lumbini Estate, FBOP from Tea Source that the baroness first reported on in a Tea Tasting & Discussion last year.

Followed by my daily bowl of matcha from yuuki-cha.com. And now an Organic Uji Tokusen Sencha, also from yuuki-cha, brewed in an older Hagi hobin. This Hagi clay seems to make for a smoother tea than a newer clay I have experience with in a Hagi tea cup. I should do a more rigorous comparison sometime.

So what teas are you all brewing this day?

Drinking a lot today with the cold hanging on, starting with a nice infusion of the end of the gyokuro in the new kyusu, which is working GREAT with quick pour times and just traces of fines coming through; and then some herb tea ready to go next, so I won't be overly caffeinated all day--a mix of chamomile, hibiscus, citrus peel, peppermint, tulsi, and licorice.

Trying to think of a comparison tasting for today, because that's the perfect sort of activity for a day like this when all I want to do is drink a lot!

All tea, all day, today.

This evening, opened the 2008 Yi Wu Mountain Bamboo Roasted Puerh from norbu. I got a sample of this in a tea swap and liked it enough to order some more. I remembered it being a very sweet and mellow pu for one so young, and packed the little yixing with a lot of tea, probably too much. I was still doing 10-20 second infusions around the 10th one, but did finally get some very nice infusions that reminded me why I ordered it. Next time, less leaf!

Also brewed more yellow tea from Jing Tea today.

It's been many weeks since I have had a Keemun and even longer since brewing the Keemun Hoa Ya B from Tea Source. Rich and earthy, it's just right this morning.

So what teas are you all drinking in your part of the world today?

I have continued a gong fu cha session from yesterday with some of the Da Hong Pao Oolong that Greg Glancy gave me for the Three Wuyi Oolong Tea Tasting & Discussion. I'll hold my comments for now.

A two-tea day: 2007 white bud sheng puerh from norbu, smoky sweet and just what I'd been craving all weekend (but had unfortunately left at work); and finished the last of my gyokuro in the new kyusu. Also have received my order of the Sencha Select featured in our tasting from the Cultured Cup, should be lovely in the new kyusu.

Does my nice jasmine taste like soap because my cold removes the other notes that round the flavor, or is it just too strongly scented for my palate? Has anyone else noted this phenomenon?

(wishing now I had made nice smoky puerh instead)

Edited by Wholemeal Crank (log)

I really have not cared for any Jasmine tea I have tried, few though that may be. So I am not one to say. Perhaps I simply have not met the right one yet. But I can say that if I make a tea and really blow the brewing, or it is unpleasant for any reason, I have no qualms about dumping it and starting fresh. Hope your cold improves soon - hate to have all that Wuyi Oolong tasting like soap...or worse.

Whisked two bowls, rather than one, of my daily yuuki-cha matcha for the first time today. My head, I am pleased to report, is still attached.

Now brewing a medium size (7.5 ounce/225 ml) pot of Organic Uji Tokusen Sencha, also from yuuki-cha.com, in a Nasu Banko Yaki Kyusu, and sipped from a rough sand Hagi teacup. The interaction between the leaf and the two clays makes for an interesting cup.

How about the rest of you tea drinker's out there? What's in your cup today?

Started the day off as always, Temple of heaven gunpowder green. It's among the cheaper teas I have but I just love it.

Then for the first time ever I tried some Puerh I just got. I got the aged puerh tea brick from Numi. Wow! I'm craving another cup but I need to sleep so it'll wait until the morning. I was blown away.

Started the day off as always, Temple of heaven gunpowder green. It's among the cheaper teas I have but I just love it.

Then for the first time ever I tried some Puerh I just got. I got the aged puerh tea brick from Numi. Wow! I'm craving another cup but I need to sleep so it'll wait until the morning. I was blown away.

Welcome to the eGullet Society, WAZ. Please do tell us more about your pu-erh in the Pu-erh topic.

Today's tea is one of my favorite, Wuyi Jin Fo (also called Fo shou)

It's heavy roast that has rested for a year to "cool" down a bit. Fruity fragrant and warming :laugh:

%E9%9B%AA%E6%A2%A82%E6%B0%B4.JPG

Please tell us more about the Wuyi, ginko, in the Oolong topic.

Today started off with a cup of the select sencha we tasted recently, from the cultured cup; midday was some spring high mountain alishan oolong from norbu; and then finished the afternoon (the sort of day that required lots of hydration) with an aged Tie Guan Yin from norbu, part of a tea trade with LuckyGirl. More about that in the oolong topic. Probably will need at least one more before bedtime.

Ate at a Szechuan Chinese restaurant with friends last night and was served the usual insipid green tea bag pot of flat, flavorless tea. But the food was terrific, so next time I may ask if I can provide the leaves.

A comparatively slow, but good day for tea today. Brewed a pot of Organic Uji Tokusen Sencha from yuuki-cha.com, in a Nasu Banko Yaki Kyusu, and have been sipping it from a rough sand Hagi teacup.

So what teas are you drinking in your part of the tea drinking world?

I have had five infusions of the aged 90's TGY and will continue with it tomorrow since it is holding up well.

Also brewed a small pot of the Ceylon Vithanakanda Estate, Extra Special from Tea Source. A lovely, complex tea.

Picked up a small amount of Republic of Tea Assam Breakfast Tea the other day. It's not quite as good as the Assam Tara I have from Cultured Cup. But I had used up all of the Irish Breakfast and just wanted to try something new.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"