• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foodblog: Smithy - Notes from the land of Cheap Refrigeration

Smithy

Nancy, thank you for a lovely and fun blog!

I'm very glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for reading along!

That's a good opening to note that I'll be wrapping this up sometime tomorrow, Sunday...probably right after my darling demonstrates his cooking style. Before I sign off, are there any other questions or comments? Have I left something unaddressed...other than the dog and the remaining cat :-) ?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Tonight was the annual airport Christmas party. "But wait," you may say, "Christmas is over!" Yes, but we do love celebrations and there are only so many weekends in December, and with many families busy with multiple careers, some organizations have opted to have their parties in January instead. Frankly, it may also be a way to help fend off the post-holiday slump, when the days are short and nights are dark and all is cold. It's still a couple of weeks to Groundhog Day, that halfway point between the winter solstice and the spring equinox, and while the light is visibly gaining ground it's still a slow process.

The party was catered at Blackwoods Grill and Bar, a local restaurant chain of 3 that specializes in wood-fired meats and very nice pastas. The buffet line included green salad, green beans, fresh hot rolls, mashed garlic potatoes (with skin on), Swedish meatballs, crusty parmesan chicken, prime rib with a pepper sauce. I missed out on dessert but it looked like cheesecakes of some sort. I snapped a few surreptitious phone photos, but they'd be an insult to the quality of the meal.

My darling won a door prize. I shall enjoy it.

IMG_20140118_223414.jpg

• Like 2

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Many thanks for an interesting week.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Teaser from the Friday shopping expedition:

attachicon.gifBlue Heron Custard 1.jpgattachicon.gifDKC Purchases 1.jpg

Has anyone else played with those Kochblume spill stoppers? They're wizard!

Yes. I have a bright red one and it has done super duty in some things that tend to boil over easily. I was not convinced it would work as advertised but so far has done the job perfectly. And it fits the one pan that no longer has a lid - glass - broken when I clipped an edge on the raised grate on the stove top.

I have so enjoyed your blog. Thanks so much for sharing a week of your life with us.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

You've given me a great view of a city I only visited for a couple of days in March of 2007. There's so much more to it than we were able to see. Thank you!

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Thanks for a great week, Smithy!

You've given me a couple of new recipes to try out. Tonight, we are having the Citrus Marinated Roast Chicken with my addition of Kaffir lime leaves;-). It's now enjoying the marinade in the fridge. :smile:

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I think that as a final note it's only fair to let my darling show off his culinary style. I noted above that he does 1 - 2 meals per week; once in a while he does 3 of our meals, but only if he has leftovers upon which to rely. We eat well regardless of who cooks; it's just that I like to putz around in the kitchen and he doesn't. Tonight's meal will be pork roast with potatoes and sauerkraut, done in the crockpot.

The prep is already done:

The Prep.jpg

He's put a lily pad on the crockpot

Ready for nukin1.jpg Ready for nuking.jpg

and put the whole assembly into the microwave for, oh, long enough to get the potatoes started.

Into the microwave.jpg

After that step, this pork roast

Pork 1.jpg

will be seasoned and put atop the potatoes; the crockpot will be turned on (high for long enough to heat the assembly, but low after an hour or two) and left until the pork is nearly done. Then the sauerkraut will be added to allow at least an hour's worth of melding. There will be one cooking vessel - two if you count the lid - and our plates, flatware and glasses to wash tonight. He insists that I tell you that if he were eating alone he'd eat it directly from the crock. :rolleyes: I married Mr. Simplicity. :laugh:

Thanks so much for coming along with me this week, and for all the great compliments, comments and questions! I had a lot of fun doing this, thanks to all of you.

Cheers!

Orange juice.jpg

Edited by Smithy (log)
  • Like 7