• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2014 (Part 1)

Rafa

Unfortunately named?  I mean he said, "Fortune favours the brave" - shortly before getting taken out by Vesuvius, but if that isn't deserving of getting a drink named after you, what is?

Because, there's probably not a bar with the ingredients to make it where they wouldn't assume you were asking for this [frequently rated the best beer in the world].

• Like 1

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

I made the unfortunately named Pliny the Elder, which I only realized after the fact was perhaps in line with it being Negroni Week.

In a Julep cup, muddle 1 tsp of sugar and 2 mint leaves in 1 oz Campari. (I did more of a emphatic stir, as I hate the particular strand of bitterness that comes from abusing mint.) Add 1 oz Punt e Mes, 1 oz Genever (Anchor Genevieve), and 1/2 oz St. George's Absinthe. Stir and fill with crushed ice (I swizzled a bit to get the frost up, then topped with more crushed ice) and garnish with two large mint sprigs.

So, a semi-Improved Genever Negroni, served in the style of a Julep? It was tasty, if a bit mind-bending for a school night.

I made one of these just now--Herbsaint instead of absinthe--because a bottle of riesling just wasn't enough to see me through writing reports. This is a drink that forces you to sit up and pay attention.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Widow's kiss (George Kappeler) before bed:

1 oz Laird's 12

1/2 yellow Chartreuse VEP

1/2 oz Benedictine

Shaken and strained.  Lovely.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I wanted something chewy but not overwhelming for after dinner, before watching one of my favorite movies.  I chose a Neisson daiquiri.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1124394/

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

It's hot, it's muggy, and I had an ounce of Chartreuse left.

I present the Minty Chartreuse Rickey, or a Mojito made with Chartreuse and no extra sugar:

10408943_10100170169955211_7775060959215

• Like 1

Oh, the Negroni Police! ;-)

They call it an amaro, but to me it tastes like a slightly bitter sweet vermouth (think Punt e Mes), and I use it as such. Mr Margerum created it for his dad to use in Manhattans.

[Host note: This topic continues here, Drinks! 2014 (Part 2)]

Edited by Mjx
Topic split, host note added. (log)