• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Rafa

Drinks! 2014 (Part 1)

587 posts in this topic

Unfortunately named?  I mean he said, "Fortune favours the brave" - shortly before getting taken out by Vesuvius, but if that isn't deserving of getting a drink named after you, what is?

Because, there's probably not a bar with the ingredients to make it where they wouldn't assume you were asking for this [frequently rated the best beer in the world].

1 person likes this

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

I made the unfortunately named Pliny the Elder, which I only realized after the fact was perhaps in line with it being Negroni Week.

In a Julep cup, muddle 1 tsp of sugar and 2 mint leaves in 1 oz Campari. (I did more of a emphatic stir, as I hate the particular strand of bitterness that comes from abusing mint.) Add 1 oz Punt e Mes, 1 oz Genever (Anchor Genevieve), and 1/2 oz St. George's Absinthe. Stir and fill with crushed ice (I swizzled a bit to get the frost up, then topped with more crushed ice) and garnish with two large mint sprigs.

So, a semi-Improved Genever Negroni, served in the style of a Julep? It was tasty, if a bit mind-bending for a school night.

I made one of these just now--Herbsaint instead of absinthe--because a bottle of riesling just wasn't enough to see me through writing reports. This is a drink that forces you to sit up and pay attention.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I made my first ever Crafty and Elusive Elk

I had to improvise, using lemon instead of lime and Becherovka for the Velvet Falernum. Still a mighty fine drink -- worth trying the next time you're in the mood for a Margarita.

1 person likes this

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Widow's kiss (George Kappeler) before bed:

1 oz Laird's 12

1/2 yellow Chartreuse VEP

1/2 oz Benedictine

Shaken and strained.  Lovely.

It's hot, it's muggy, and I had an ounce of Chartreuse left.

I present the Minty Chartreuse Rickey, or a Mojito made with Chartreuse and no extra sugar:

10408943_10100170169955211_7775060959215

1 person likes this

Just made a Crafty and Elusive Elk.  Absolutely delicious.  Used Patron blanco and Los Danzantes reposado.  Great recipe.

Now I'm going to make another!

1 person likes this

Tried a Vieux Carre with an excess of Bigallet China-China in lieu of Benedictine. Mistake. Good but not as good as the original. I do love Punt e Mes in this recipe, though

Maybe Fernet next time....

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Oh, the Negroni Police! ;-)

They call it an amaro, but to me it tastes like a slightly bitter sweet vermouth (think Punt e Mes), and I use it as such. Mr Margerum created it for his dad to use in Manhattans.

[Host note: This topic continues here, Drinks! 2014 (Part 2)]

Edited by Mjx Topic split, host note added. (log)