• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2014 (Part 1)

Rafa

Continuing on my Cognac craze, tonight was Major Unett's take on Mississippi punch:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/107674-batavia-arrack/?p=1467817

1 wine glass Pierre Ferrand 1840

1 oz S&C

1 Tablespoon arrack

juice of one small lemon

1 Tablespoon sugar

Rather than shake and dump I wanted a slower drink.  I strained over a two inch Tovolo cube.  I've been working on clear ice, and while not perfect, I am close.  Garnish was a slice of lemon and a sprig of mint.

Wow, was this good.  I could use another, but with bread and cheese for dinner I think I'll switch to wine.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Made a couple Fernet Brankenstein's with the last of my bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail. Initially I had some reservations about the vermouth/Fernet/mint/Uigeadail combo but once the drink settled a while it warmed on me as fast as an induction cooktop. Real good. Wondering which Islay/Skye I'll use next to scratch the Fernet Brankenstein itch. Options include Talisker Distiller's, Bruichladdich 10 and some indie bottlings of Bowmore, Coal Ila and Laphroaig. Of course, there's an argument for using a bold but non-island malt such as Auchentoshan or anCnoc. 

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I haven't posted anything in a while, but I thought I'd post a recipe today to help celebrate the life and work of Steven Shaw who created an amazing community here that I always found very inspiring. I never actually met Steven Shaw but I've met many people from the egullet community in person, which always has been a great experience, and one egulleter and his wife went on to become among my very best friends whom I see nearly every week to share a drink or a meal. I probably would be stuck working as an economist if Steven Shaw's egullet community didn't get me deeper into the culinary arts and really expand my mind.

1.5 oz. wire works gin

.75 oz. brillet pineau des charents

.75 oz. lemon juice

bar spoon of Judith's Seville orange marmalade (the gift of a beloved bar regular)

this was pretty darn tasty. without egullet would anybody really be drinking such lovely stuff as Pineau des Charentes? would the cocktail renaissance have grown so big I can drink a pretty good gin made in south Boston? I really owe a lot to Steven Shaw and everyone that makes up the egullet community. thank you all.

• Like 3

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

A recent discovery on Kindred was the Armistice, which I made last night (rye, dry vermouth, Chartreuse, Maraschino, bitters - I used The Bitter Truth Creole).  Delicious; perhaps the most well-balanced cocktail we've had.  Nothing - even the Chartreuse - really jumped out; everything just blended into a very harmonious whole.

Highly recommended.  Our Top 10 now must have at least 50 items in it.

BTW, I tried that Armistice, too after seeing Leslie's post.  It's everything it says on the tin!

I have to agree with these sentiments upon trying the Armistice tonight after a particularly trying day at work. An exceedingly well balanced, yet complex drink. 

Made my inaugural trip to pdt last night...well, actually I'd been there a few times before I lived in NYC, but this was the first time I was able to get past the front door.

Started with a Victor's Special:

2 oz Wild Turkey 101 Rye
.75 oz Blood Orange Juice 
.75 oz Cynar 
.5 oz Cardamaro 

Finished with a Benton's Old Fashioned.

• Like 1

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Made my inaugural trip to pdt last night...well, actually I'd been there a few times before I lived in NYC, but this was the first time I was able to get past the front door.

Started with a Victor's Special:

2 oz Wild Turkey 101 Rye

.75 oz Blood Orange Juice 

.75 oz Cynar 

.5 oz Cardamaro 

Finished with a Benton's Old Fashioned.

Like, into the hot dog place, or through the phone booth?

Like, into the hot dog place, or through the phone booth?

I'd never been into the bar proper. Twice previously I'd stopped by when in the area to see if they might have a seat, but didn't make it past the phone booth, as there was no more availability at the bar for the evening, so last night I made sure to show up close to opening. Strangely, I ate crif dogs long before I knew that pdt existed.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

It's OK, I went to PDT without realizing what Crif Dogs was! It's funny, I went both there and Little Branch on a Saturday evening in 2011 and neither were very crowded....

Death & Co, on the other hand, I have never been able to get into.

It's OK, I went to PDT without realizing what Crif Dogs was! It's funny, I went both there and Little Branch on a Saturday evening in 2011 and neither were very crowded....

Death & Co, on the other hand, I have never been able to get into.

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded," in effect.

Tonight I made myself a Martinez using Bittercube's barrel aged cherry bitters, which arrived yesterday. They feature top notes of cherry accentuated by angelica, lemon peel & juniper...pretty much ideal for mixing with gin and Leopold Bros' stellar maraschino. This is one of the best drinks I've made in some time.

Bk5KXPyIUAATF40.jpg

Edited by KD1191 (log)

DeVoto, The Hour

Make mine a double.

On a bit of a Rusty Nail kick because I want to get the Drambuie 15, even though it's taken me ... shit ... eighteen months? to get half way through a 350 mL bottle of the regular stuff. You know, the regular Drambuie is basically half the price of the aged, scotch-focused variant. So. Yeah. Anyway. 3:1 of Glenfarclas 15 to standard Drambuie. Was intending to make a normal sized one, with two ounces of scotch, but there was just only a tiny wee bit in the bottle (that ended up not being a tiny wee bit when I actually poured it out) that I just had to go all out. Boozy and fucking good. Two of these would put you and your unborn grandchildren and everyone in between in the hospital getting your stomachs pumped.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Inspired by the lovelies of this subforum, in addition to a Navy Grog, tonight I made a Professional (WT101 and SC for the two variables) and a Tequila Gumption (Camarena Reposado and Fidencio Classico for those two variables).

I have to say, I preferred the latter drink. The Professional just seems like it's trying to hide the Campari with other stuff, but the Campari still comes through like a freight train, without the vermouth of a negroni to balance it out. 

Make mine a double.

On a bit of a Rusty Nail kick because I want to get the Drambuie 15, even though it's taken me ... shit ... eighteen months? to get half way through a 350 mL bottle of the regular stuff. You know, the regular Drambuie is basically half the price of the aged, scotch-focused variant. So. Yeah. Anyway. 3:1 of Glenfarclas 15 to standard Drambuie. Was intending to make a normal sized one, with two ounces of scotch, but there was just only a tiny wee bit in the bottle (that ended up not being a tiny wee bit when I actually poured it out) that I just had to go all out. Boozy and fucking good. Two of these would put you and your unborn grandchildren and everyone in between in the hospital getting your stomachs pumped.

I've been working on mine too with the same goal in mind. But it's a full size bottle so I still have a long way to go.

Two things from the beta book: The Fall of Man and The Last Mechanical Art. Now that I have a nice mezcal the latter is actually a nice drink. Use shit mezcal in that one and you know about it.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

After zesting 8 large limes for my first batch of Taylor's (geddit?) falernum today I had a lot of lime juice. So it's time to make daiquiris, right? Let's start with JM. 2:1:0.5 plus a dash of Scrappy's lime bitters.

• Like 1

Chris Taylor

Melbourne