• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2014 (Part 1)

Rafa

OK, now:

1 oz Appleton 12

1 oz Atlantico

1 oz W&N

1/2 oz Grand Marnier

1 1/4 oz lime juice

1/2 oz orgeat

As a quondam scientist I changed two variables at once, so shoot me.  Actually, please don't.  This recipe is a tad too sweet (at least for me at the moment) but not bad at all.  The mint is a bit wilted by now but still very fragrant.  How I have learned to love mint!  To say nothing of good rum.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

From what I know about Atlantico, that's probably why your drink is too sweet.

I'll have to report on Atlantico neat, but perhaps not tonight.  I can say it is smooth.

From what I know about Atlantico, that's probably why your drink is too sweet.

You are so right.  I'm having a glass now for the first time.  No more Atlantico in a mai tai for me.  However it is otherwise pretty good, so I'll try to use it up in something where the sugar works.

My Facespace feed was plastered with a recipe for this: Fernet Me Not. It's okay. Despite having different ingredients it reminds me of something served at Goldilocks, a bar in the Melbourne CBD. This something is simply a fair quantity of Fernet topped with Sarsaparilla. I guess it goes to show: damn near whatever you mix it with, Fernet will walk over anything.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

After resurrecting my first  zombie tonight I followed with a Vic's mai tai, perhaps my favorite drink.  I was struck how in comparison how one dimensional the mai tai seemed.  I was then compelled to watch Ed Wood's Plan 9 from Outer Space, the greatest zombie movie of all time.

Dinner was peanuts.

• Like 1

After two nights of zombies I'm sitting here with a very nice Autumn in Jersey, a bowl of peanuts, and my chemistry set of dropper bottles:  tincture of cinnamon and Jade.

Adapted from the 4, 5, 6 at Brick & Mortar, Cambridge MA

1 1/2 oz Islay Scotch (Bowmore legend)

3/4 oz Luxardo Abano

1/2 oz El Dorado 15

Stirred, rocks. They served it up with demerara syrup, Sheep Dip, and unknown ratios. I like my version a bit better. Also made it with rye, which was excellent. Maybe a little lemon bitters or expressed peel would be nice next time.

Is Abano anything like Nonino?

Could you recommend any substitutions? 

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Is Abano anything like Nonino?

Could you recommend any substitutions? 

Abano is much less subtle than Nonino. It's got a unique profile. Nonino (or maybe Averna) + a bit of Blackstrap + a pinch of black pepper and cinnamon might get you close. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Had a few drinks off of Pouring Ribbons' new menu on Saturday. They were all great, but one has stuck with me...

Sedgwick Avenue: La Favorite Ambre, Cocchi Vermouth Di Torino, Junipero Gin, Orange Marmalade, BBQ Bitters

It started with a question, "What's with the gin in this rum drink?" The explanation, "It's a Bronx riff," followed by a lengthy dissertation containing some of the finest cocktail nerdery I've witnessed in recent years, both surprised and excited me, the Bronx being one of my favorite classic cocktails. I may never understand it, but the combination of the funky aged rhum and a dash of pineapple juice (not mentioned on the menu description) produced some crazy chemistry that evoked the aroma of the missing dry vermouth. It's the sort of drink where you just stare off into space for awhile, and all you can say is, "Huh..."

Edited by KD1191 (log)
  • Like 2

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Any others you recommend? I'm thinking of heading there this weekend. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Any others you recommend? I'm thinking of heading there this weekend. 

I had The Bad Habit (Wild Turkey 101 Rye, Cantaloupe, Cynar, Egg White, Laphroaig Quarter Cask) and Will Robinson Swizzle (El Dorado 8 Yr & Spiced Rums, Pineapple, Smith & Cross Rum, Batavia Arrack, Green Chartreuse). I'm not a peaty scotch guy, but everything else in The Bad Habit sounded good, and I'm glad I went with it. The swizzle is a pretty solid tiki concoction.

If I'd stuck around longer I'd probably have gone for the Bols Deep, a genever & rye milk-clarified punch, but the Forgetful Jones with pistachio-black pepper falernum and the wine-based Zwack Morris also look intriguing.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

A recent discovery on Kindred was the Armistice, which I made last night (rye, dry vermouth, Chartreuse, Maraschino, bitters - I used The Bitter Truth Creole).  Delicious; perhaps the most well-balanced cocktail we've had.  Nothing - even the Chartreuse - really jumped out; everything just blended into a very harmonious whole.

Highly recommended.  Our Top 10 now must have at least 50 items in it.

• Like 2

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Tried the Paper Trail from Kindred the other night.  My friend and I both liked it.  Good use for Salers and, I suspect Suze as well.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

Abano is much less subtle than Nonino. It's got a unique profile. Nonino (or maybe Averna) + a bit of Blackstrap + a pinch of black pepper and cinnamon might get you close. 

Yes. The black pepper is unique, at least among the amari I know. 

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

A recent discovery on Kindred was the Armistice, which I made last night (rye, dry vermouth, Chartreuse, Maraschino, bitters - I used The Bitter Truth Creole).  Delicious; perhaps the most well-balanced cocktail we've had.  Nothing - even the Chartreuse - really jumped out; everything just blended into a very harmonious whole.

Highly recommended.  Our Top 10 now must have at least 50 items in it.

Thanks for the recommendation, this is definitely a well-balanced drink. The Chartreuse did jump out at me just a little, but with all of the herbal/menthol notes on the finish and none of the sweetness. Moving this into the rotation.

A Kindred/New York Times recipe: Giving Tree. First wine cocktail I can remember having. Equal parts red wine (I used an Australian Shiraz), rye and Drambuie with a dash each of Angostura bitters and Fee's Whisky Barrel bitters. Big. Sweet. Fruity. Bitter. Spicy. I like this.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Just now finished a Quin Quina Crusta, after having noticed it while re-reading the Bonal thread.  When I clicked on the Kindred link I attempted to add it to my cocktail book, only to discover it was already in there, but for reasons unknown I had never actually made one.  I'm glad I finally did, even after looking at the ingredient list with a bit of skeptcial eye.  Wonderful drink.  I skipped the "crusta" part, however, and made it up instead of over ice.

BTW, I tried that Armistice, too after seeing Leslie's post.  It's everything it says on the tin!

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

Soooo where to begin.

Tonight:

Leftover Silk Punch (my Arabic mulberry-based variant on a Roman punch)

Brooklynite

Scofflaw

Trinidad Sour 

Basra Daiquiri (with chai numi basra concentrate instead of lime juice)

Saz'iraq (Guess what: Arabic sazerac, with my homemade sharqtreuse rinse and homemade Arabian Bitters)

Infante with mezcal instead of tequila (smoky!)

Had 2 friends over, so I didn't have all the above, but I certainly had a majority and samples of the rest

Armistice subbing in Americano for the regular dry vermouth as Cocchi is all I have. I liked it, even though I can appreciate that it's doubtlessly different to the original. 

Chris Taylor

Melbourne