• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2014 (Part 1)

Rafa

Did you really take a cosmetics atomiser full of curaçao on your holidays? :biggrin:

Why not? A quick squirt behind the ears; very refreshing on a warm day and no doubt pleasant for those who are permitted to get close enough.

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

J-whisky sour. See: 2 oz Nikka from the barrel, .75 oz lemon juice, .5 -- too much -- simple and a dash of Angostura.

Sounds good. Do you know how Nikka from the Barrel compares to the rest of their line?

It's higher proof (102.8), but I find it has less finesse (some might say complexity). That said, it can certainly stand out in more complicated/modern cocktails.

I actually just killed a bottle making several Holidays Away. The finished product is not as smokey as with the Bowmore that's called for, but none the worse for it, in my opinion. And, I imagine it's the rare Japanese Whisky that can hold its own against Unicum.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Do you know how Nikka from the Barrel compares to the rest of their line?

It's higher proof (102.8), but I find it has less finesse (some might say complexity). That said, it can certainly stand out in more complicated/modern cocktails.

I actually just killed a bottle making several Holidays Away. The finished product is not as smokey as with the Bowmore that's called for, but none the worse for it, in my opinion. And, I imagine it's the rare Japanese Whisky that can hold its own against Unicum.

Thanks. That sounds like something I would be interested in trying.

Regarding Japanese whiskies that can hold their own, Yoichi is super assertive/distinctive but not easy to mix as a result. I found the Miyagikyo quite versatile in that regard - great on its own, but not so over-the-top that it does not work for mixing.

Astor. Though I don't believe your state allows interstate booze delivery. If you'd like a bottle mailed let me know.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

You guys are talking about Unicum like you can buy it at the corner packie. So. Wheredagetit?

Found a very old bottle on a dusty shelf at a store near nothing in particular (except my client) on the far west side of Houston, TX...then, a couple months later, it was re-launched in the U.S.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Astor. Though I don't believe your state allows interstate booze delivery. If you'd like a bottle mailed let me know.

Damn. I was JUST in NYC and had planned to visit Astor but the logistics didn't quite work. And, alas, MA does now allow out-of-state booze shipments. I guess I just have to wait to see if it hits Boston.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Been playing around with Carpano Bianco and Byrrh lately, after a totally OCD splurge when Astor had a sale on vermouths and amari . . . . both are "good", but I can't yet say whether I like them enough to keep a bottle around, in addition to all the regular stuff.

Last night was a Negroni variation:

1 1/2 Ransom Old Tom (aka "the gin that made me its b$*&h from first sip)

scant 3/4 Gran Classico bitters

3/4 Byrrh

stirred, garnished with a blood orange twist.

A nice variation, definitely drinkable. I like the spice and berry notes in Byrrh, it's just a bit too sweet for me, despite the quinine finish.

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

Made a half-batch of Erik's Great Pumpkin (Milk) Punch over the weekend...tried the first glass this evening and immediately regretted not committing to the full batch.

DeVoto, The Hour

Sipping a Negroni right now, made with my new bottle of Bad Medicine Gin. As I noted in the liquor store thread, this localish gin is a beast of powerful grassy, bready, peppery flavors. I was hoping some Campari would tame it in a tonic water did not.

Success! It does creat a very interesting Negroni. where the unusual qualities of the gin shine through. As it is a Minnesota gin I have dubbed this not quite variation the Negro-uh-ni, my attempt at rendering the name of the drink in a over the top Minnesota accent.

Negro-uh-ni

1 Oz Bad Medicine Gin

1 Oz Campari

1 Oz Sweet Vermouth (Cinzano)

Stir with ice and and strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice. Garnish with an orange twist.

A strange variation tonight that worked out quite well. I started with the recipe for a cocktail called the Irish Elegance form Patrick Gavin Duffy's Bartenders Guide(don't you love thrift store finds?). The original recipe went as so.

4/5 Jigger Jamaican Rum

1/4 Brandy

1 teaspoon Creme de Violette

1/3 Jigger Pineapple Juice

1/2 Teaspoon Sugar

Juice of 1 Lime

Mixed in a blender and serve.

To which I modified, according to taste and exigency

2 Oz Goslings Dark Rum

0.5 Oz Laird's Bonded Apple Brandy

1 tsp Rothamn and Winter Creme de Violette

0.5 Oz Pineapple Juice

0.5 Oz Simple Syrup

1 Oz Lime Juice

Shake wiht ice and strain into a rock glass filled with crushed ice.

This was a surprise. Truly and excellent, balanced(maybe a touch too sweet) cocktail. A Tiki with violette. Who knew? Not the most complex thing ever, but very easy drinking with enough to keep me interested.

While I'm counting down the hours for my chicken to roast, I'm enjoying a Columbia, made this time with Appleton 12 rather than white rum. The Columbia is a drink sort of on the sweet side, and I think the Appleton works much better here than white rum.

2 oz Appleton 12

3/4 oz lemon juice

3/4 oz raspberry syrup

Shaken, double strained into coupe, no garnish. Very nice between bastings.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Free Fallin' (Chris Wilkins): 1.5 oz Blanton's, 0.5 oz each Campari, Averna, and maraschino liqueur, orange twist. I was not sure exactly what to expect, but only good things with the ingredient list. It was reminiscent of a Brooklyn with its pronounced orange flavor; the finish is slightly bitter.

12376136554_f6684f6450_z.jpg

• Like 1

We enjoyed the Free Fallin' last night. Just the right sort of bitter for us. Thanks, FP.

And I've just found Rafa's P.P.X. over on Kindred. My gawd - that's on the list for tonight!

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

We enjoyed the Free Fallin' last night. Just the right sort of bitter for us. Thanks, FP.

And I've just found Rafa's P.P.X. over on Kindred. My gawd - that's on the list for tonight!

Just the drink I was putting the last touches on this evening. This being you, Leslie, you may want to increase the Cynar somewhat—say by an ounce or two... :-)

And that would have been quite enough for my liver this evening, but my coworkers are taking me out tonight, and they've promised to get me wasted. I hope they don't kill me.

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Just the drink I was putting the last touches on this evening. This being you, Leslie, you may want to increase the Cynar somewhat—say by an ounce or two... :-)

And that would have been quite enough for my liver this evening, but my coworkers are taking me out tonight, and they've promised to get me wasted. I hope they don't kill me.

Hmm. More Cynar. There's a concept ...

I'm sure I join with all of us here in also hoping they don't kill you. For our part, the Hawthorn Lounge is beckoning. I'll lay the PPX on them and see what they think.

My eG Foodblog