• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pressure cooking tomatoes and making ketchup

bonkboo

I would think the higher temperature of pressure cooking would give a greater depth of flavor for ketchup. Try both ways to find out. I've been pressure cooking to make tomato sauce for pizza and pasta and am pleased with the results. I use glass canning jars to hold the sauce inside the pressure cooker.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Perhaps I am over complicating things, but could you pressure cook tomatoes as part of making ketchup? Or does it not capture the depth of low and slow cooking?

Thanks

You absolutely can. In fact, if you have a copy of Modernist Cuisine at Home, they have a caramelized ketchup recipe. And even if you don't, I'd say that's a hint that they consider pressure cooking the best method of getting the flavor out of the tomatoes.

Do you use the tops as well? Or do you set the opened top jars on a trivet?

Thanks

The lids on loosely. I am following the Moderist Cuisine method for sauce. I have never made ketchup but if I did I would try their recipe as well. Not everything I have tried from Modernist Cuisine has worked, but the tomato sauce is one of the successes.

Actually the lids on more tightly works, except then the jars are pressure sealed and difficult to open.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

The pressure cooker will not reduce fresh tomatoes, so after pressure cooking you will get cooked fresh tomatoes with all of their water. But you can start from a tomato puree and work your way from there.

My up-coming cookbook has a technique for making a pasta sauce using fresh tomatoes but the book is not coming out until September. : (

Ciao,

L

• Like 1

hip pressure cooking - making pressure cooking hip, one recipe at a time!