• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Electrolux mini-combo oven

rotuts

Im hoping to cull out of a 2011 thread on combi-ovens the Electrolux mini. with the recent interest in the Cuisinart, Im hoping there might be additional information and evaluations on the Electrolux.

Granted its a different beast entirely.

http://www.amazon.com/Electrolux-260914-Mini-Combi-Steamer/dp/B002E3IRLA

http://tools.professional.electrolux.com/Mirror/Doc/BR/BR_BR-9JDBO_1_34_1_1_9JDBOU.pdf

gets you some infor.

in '11:

Socrates8300 said this:

" I have the Combi from Electrolux. I use it all the time instead of my very expensive thermador range. I find that bread, roasts and steaming applications are perfect. I just wish the oven was bigger with a bigger reservoir, but I think it would defeat it's intended purpose. "

later, HKDave 1 May 2013 said this:

"" I've used the countertop Electrolux combi http://tools.profess..._1_1_9JDBOU.pdf for several years (about 10?) and am less than impressed. It's not very well built for something marketed and priced as a "professional" product, it doesn't steam well at lower temperatures, the oven has worse hot spot problems than some non-convection ovens (and that convection fan can't be turned off, annoying if you're doing things like souffles), the water tray holds enough for barely an hour's worth of steam, and the timer only allows the oven to run for 2 hours before it shuts it off, so it can't do prolonged low-and-slow cooking unattended. And it's not very big; usable interior space is about 22x30cm.

On the plus side, it works well as a convection oven and holds temperature better than any other countertop oven I've used, even in the 50c-100c range, where most ovens just don't work. And it is quite portable, which combined with its ability to hold low temperatures, makes it useful for catering. And it takes standard 1/2 pans.

For a while there was a very cheap identical-looking China-made knock-off of this available from a Hong Kong supplier, but it's gone. So if you want a cheap combi, especially one that doesn't require plumbing and wiring, your options are still limited - which is why I ended up with this in the first place. The pretty Miele and Gagganeau home units aren't bigger and are a lot more expensive (at least the last I looked) and proper commercial combis like Rationals are another order of magnitude more expensive. ""

it seems there might be significant limitations to the Electrolux: reservoir size, uneven heating, durability.

its not cheap either: about 2.2 K and one might have to add a dedicated 20 amp circuit.

so lets day 2.5 K a really big stretch for something far from 'perfect'

so ......... anyone have more info?

many thanks

• Like 1

Two sensible product directions that I can see. Develop a slightly bigger tabletop model or a full sized range with a combi oven as one of the two ovens. The latter would be the sort of thing that gets into pricey new house kitchens as a state of the art amenity. Might never be used (like a lot of Wolf ranges I see), but they could sell a bunch if ,marketed right.

I think the full sized range with 1 combi oven is probably in the near future -- the problem is that for the first 5 years, it will be outrageously expensive -- especially if it comes from Wolf/Viking etc. That doesn't mean I won't want one, I just won't be getting one when the price tag is in the 15k range...which is where it inevitably will be.

it seems to me, and I mean no distracting or disrespect by it , that high end designer kitchens are really for the design most of the times : you and your pals assemble in there and suck in enjoy the disposable wealth.

they may be terrific for cooking , but are really for $$$$ appearance.

the Combi oven in this setting, and this would be the only setting where they might initially sell, attraction is cooking mostly, so those added bucks placed in the Combi would be lost w the $$$$ appearance and would be placed in say a built in 5 K espresso machine, heating station, heated stainless drawers etc.

this is not a criticism as such, simply the market for high end kitchens mostly.

the combi would only be selected by those who would use it, as their buds wouldnt know anything about it, and thus not appreciate it in any way.

There are a number of units on the market that are wall ovens. Seems to me that a nice combo of a gas range and an electric combi wall oven would be perfect. Now, if I can just move to that house in the country...or that apartment on Park Ave...

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I am having a hard time even finding a vendor for the Electrolux in Italy, probably because it is being sold as a "professional" item here, and not on Amazon. The shortcomings pointed out above are enough to keep me away from it for $2,000+ I get to that point and I can start fantasizing about a Zanussi professional model the size of a refrigerator. Those actually do work. And you can run a small bakery out of your home! Seriously, it is disappointing that Cuisinart made a toaster oven on steroids for $300 and seems to have turned out a good product, just too small. It is possible that the quality of the Cuisinart's performance could be tied to the small size, and that is where the Electrolux gets into trouble. With all of the activity in the sous vide circulator space, one would hope for the same thing with combi ovens, but unless the Cuisinart is popular enough to spawn competitors, I do not see it happening...

Bill Klapp

bklapp@egullet.com

Seriously, it is disappointing that Cuisinart made a toaster oven on steroids for $300 and seems to have turned out a good product, just too small.

I don't think it's too small - for a toaster oven.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I can't speak for that small oven, but will say that the Electrolux double wall oven we bought for the California house was the BEST! I loved that oven and hated to give it up when we sold the house. They are making some really fine appliances.

How much did that bad boy cost you?

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I can't speak for that small oven, but will say that the Electrolux double wall oven we bought for the California house was the BEST! I loved that oven and hated to give it up when we sold the house. They are making some really fine appliances.

How much did that bad boy cost you?

It was around 6 years ago--I think about $2800-$3000 plus installation. Not steam, but still fabulous. I lost some cabinet space to fit it in. That house was built mid-80s and had one of those kitchens that was huge space-wise, but appliances that were sorely lacking. The wall oven was combined with a microwave. The MW was actually larger than the oven! I couldn't fit a large turkey in there. I was so happy to get my nice big new Electrolux--with two ovens, each larger than the old one. I really miss it. In this house, I have a range with oven--had to replace it to get a large enough oven, but the kitchen here is so tiny, I don't have room for anything larger unless we do a full remodel of that whole part of the house. And at our ages, we are supposed to be downsizing, not enlarging. ;-)

Edited to clarify that the original was an oven/microwave combo. No microwave with the Electrolux.

Edited by Maison Rustique (log)

Deb

Liberty, MO

• 6 months later...

I have 2 of these units and can only keep one at a time working. The local service guys just cavn not keep them working and the water tray tops crack all the time.

But they got me sold on Combi ovens and made me invest in a proper plumbed in a Rational oven.

From that point never looked back other than the two units I have sitting in my guarage.

If you have good local service and not much room they are OK,

Mike Macdonald Calgary