• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing Fleur de sel

Robenco15

Hi All,

Just got some Fleur de Sel in the mail today. It came in a plastic bag in a burlap sack. Not so sure if that plastic bag is the best way to store it though and was curious how you store yours. I am aware of salt pigs, etc. and have an 8 oz. Le Creuset mini cocette for my next to the stove kosher salt, but since Fleur de Sel isn't something used in every dish and not as frequently as Kosher, didn't know if there was a better option. I assume keeping moisture out of it is a must and since it costs so much compared to typical salt I definitely want to treat it the best I can.

Thank you!

Edited by Robenco15 (log)

I think transferring it to a jar will keep it in decent shape. Whenever we travel, I bring back salt from wherever we go and I just keep it in its original container. Just don't stick your wet hands in that jar.

Edited by weinoo (log)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Yes you could. For $25, you ought to be able to :cool::cool::cool: .

Check out this post, from the blog that johnder, slkinsey and I did a few years ago. The 2nd picture down is johnder's stove - the garnish tray to the right of the stove holds just 4 salts...a perfect setup, imo. As for me, I just keep a few salts in their original containers wherever I can find a space to stick them :laugh: .

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Throw in grains of rice with the salt. The rice grains will absorb the moisture instead of the salt.

Thanks.

One of the features of fleur de sel is its moisture content. I wouldn't be putting grains of rice in there to basically turn it into another dry salt.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I use my Foodsaver vacuum sealer to seal larger quantities of things like salts and spices in canning jars. You can get jars as small as 4oz in size and store things almost indefinitely. Before I got the Foodsaver, I noticed that a baggie of salt that a friend of mine had brought from Afghanistan was taking on the flavors of my spice drawers/cabinet. I have small quantities in glass spice jars I got at BB&B for ease of use while most of my 'stash' is sealed and in my cupboard.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So that three tier bamboo salt holder is great. I have my smoked salt on top, then grey salt in the middle, and fluer de sel on the bottom.

I've noticed that after about 2 weeks or so without using the fleur de sel and grey salt, I went to get some the other day and both were clumped together. I stirred it around with my pinky and it broke up and seemed ok, but I was curious if the bamboo is messing the moisture of the salt. After stirring it around with my pinky it seemed to still have moisture in it, and maybe the top of it seemed "dried" out.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone else who uses a bamboo salt holder finds it negatively affecting their salt. Thank you!