• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Wild Planet" Products

Paul Bacino

We sometimes buy the Wild Planet tuna. I find it a little dry and not as flavorful as Spanish or Italian tuna, but certainly a couple of steps above ANY typical supermarket tuna. A while back, Cooks Illustrated tested canned tuna and rated Wild Planet very highly - it may have even won the test.

I'm not sure if I prefer TJ's solid white packed in water, but both make the cut here. They are each different enough that having both in the pantry could make sense.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I keep Wild Planet tuna on hand at all times, as it's the best water packed tuna I've found. Whole cuts of tuna loin (not shredded random bits) with loads of flavor and Omega 3. It's perfect for making tuna salad. Ortiz bonito del norte tuna is my favorite canned fish, but it's more for eating straight up (with a squirt of lemon) than for making salads with. The Wild Planet sardines are also solid.