• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2014

Ann_T

Early breakfast yesterday:

Myojo Chukazanmai Oriental Flavor ramen (this one) w/ fresh (hydroponic) young Tuscan kale, quartered white mushrooms & Chinese roast duck.

Oh hell. I'm licking the damn screen again. That looks so tasty. Chinese roast duck would require a trip to one of the Asian markets and with more snow on the way it won't likely happen this week. Oh well. Something to plan for the future.
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Early breakfast today:

Pork meatballs & daikon in peppery pork stock.

DSCN0468c_1k.jpg

The soup started two days before from these:

DSCN0451a_1k.jpg

which were parboiled and washed (but quite a lot of blood/myoglobin-containing residues remained underneath the large lumps and the caps & in the marrow & other tissues) then simmered/boiled w/ a few slices of ginger and some sea salt for a total of maybe about 10 hrs or thereabouts. After scooping off most of the liquid fat (lard) still on top, fishing out the pieces and filtering through cheesecloth the resulting broth looked like this:

DSCN0462a_1k.jpg

(see here for further discussion of clear versus milky [pork] stocks)

The soup was made with sliced peeled daikon; meatballs formed using ground pork, andouille sausage meat, chopped scallions and a good dash of light soy sauce; and loads of freshly ground white (NOT black) pepper, maybe about 2-3 heaped tablespoons worth. Left overnight on the stove to deepen & meld further.

Edited by huiray (log)

Myojo Chukazanmai Oriental Flavor ramen (this one) w/ fresh (hydroponic) young Tuscan kale, quartered white mushrooms & Chinese roast duck.

Oh hell. I'm licking the damn screen again. That looks so tasty. Chinese roast duck would require a trip to one of the Asian markets and with more snow on the way it won't likely happen this week. Oh well. Something to plan for the future.

Anna: With the Big Easy, you too can have Chinese roast duck without an Asian market:-)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Another early breakfast.

• Cod fillet steamed w/ (Teochew) "Fermented Soybean" (潮州豆瓣; chiu4 jau1 dau2 faan6) [Dragonfly] (this one), "Soybean Paste" (陳年豆瓣醬) [Ming Teh] (this one), sliced fresh ginger, some peanut oil, and sliced scallions towards the end.

Yau Mak Choy. Romaine hearts "stir-fried" w/ garlic & peanut oil & a mixture of oyster sauce [LKK], "Luscious Soy Paste" (甘醇油膏) [Kim Lan] (this one), Shaohsing wine [Asian Taste] plus a bit of water.

• White rice.

DSCN0477a_1k.jpg

• Like 3

Huiray, Breakfast isn't my favourite meal. But that could change if I was eating at your house.

Robirdstk, we had Mexican for breakfast too.

Pork%20Chile%20Verde%20Breakfast%20Febru

Leftover pork chile verde, black beans and butter basted eggs. Even the homemade tortillas were leftovers. Reheated between paper towels in the microwave, they were soft and tender. Almost as good as when fresh.

• Like 5

Well I did make it to an Asian store after all and grabbed a duck. This was closer to brunch than breakfast but still...

image.jpg

The broth was some of the best I've made so far. Started with Cheater's Asian broth but added all of the duck bones. Let it simmer for a while, strained and adjusted the seasoning. Have a nice stash for future meals.

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Heh. Nice Duck Grab, Anna N. Sounds like a nice stock you made, too! It does look more like a "lo sui ngap" (滷水鴨) you got, was that what it was? (rather than roast duck)

It was a soy sauce duck.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Two over-easy eggs cooked in olive oil and topped with wasabi furikake.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Heh. Nice Duck Grab, Anna N. Sounds like a nice stock you made, too! It does look more like a "lo sui ngap" (滷水鴨) you got, was that what it was? (rather than roast duck)

It was a soy sauce duck.

Ah. Well, "Lo Sui" ("Master Stock/water") is basically a spiced soy sauce marinade/master stock/sauce...

• Like 1

Had a really nice breakfast this morning.. Miss A made pancakes for Miss K while the adults split a grapefruit and banana. The grapefruit had turbenado sugar. I then made a three egg omelette with some leftover mushroom stems, a little tarragon and some gruyere. We all split that.

Edited by basquecook (log)

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Breakfast-Brunch today:

• Beef shin slices sautéed w/ garlic in peanut oil then stewed w/ shallots; yellow, red & orange carrots; water, sea salt; dried oregano.

• Pickled scallions, daikon, Japanese cucumber.

• White rice.

DSCN0502a_1k.jpg

• Like 2

Hi, Heidi. It being breakfast, these are (previously) steamed spuds, shallow-fried. These have been exceptionally floury: "the luck of the shop", if you like. You know how you buy 'floury' potatoes and sometimes they're more so than others ? That's what's happened here. You steam or boil them (I've done both, my steamer was too small for the first batch), and when they're done the sides are just naturally flaking.

• Like 2

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.