• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2014

Ann_T

• 2 weeks later...

Those greens and tomatoes look superb. There's something so right about tomatoes for breakfast.

I had no tomatoes, nor bread, so I made up some blueberry muffins using Alton Brown's recipe on Good Eats. I should have looked up Dorie's instead, because these were too wildly sweet to my taste, at one cup of sugar. I still ate three.

photo-2.JPG

Edited by nakji (log)
  • Like 2

image.jpg

Sometimes the tastiest food is the least photogenic. Eggs scrambled with bacon and onions over roasted Portobello caps.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I've seen a lot less photogenic than that. It looks rather nice.

Why thank you. I really need to improve my photography skills or my camera or perhaps my food! I like my hot food hot so I tend to rush these shots. But the sharing means more than the art so what the heck. I'm inspired by others and occasionally I'm source of inspiration. I wish for no more.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I like my hot food hot so I tend to rush these shots.

Exactly what I do. Much as want to share (or show off on the few occasions I get it right), I cook to eat, and I'm not letting a meal go to ruin while I search for the perfect angle and exposure.

I take the view here that any pictures are only going to be helpful illustrations. When I want art I go elsewhere. But that said, there have been some stunning photographs posted here (and some hideous).

Your brekky picture made me want to eat it. That 's what it's about.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Ashen – your sunny side up eggs are so lovely!  I still do them the way that you taught me when it’s just the two of us (they are a tad hard to manage when you are doing more than a couple at a time).

Nakji – your muffins are beautiful.  I’m glad you managed to choke them down, in spite of them being too sweet :raz:  :laugh: .

Ann – eggs in cream….heaven.

I am so suggestible.  I was reading a book in which someone stopped at a café for a sausage biscuit.  I put the book down, came into the house, got biscuits and sausage out of the freezer and made breakfast:

med_gallery_3331_117_134708.jpg

Sometimes you gotta be TOLD what you want.  I just wish all my culinary whims could be so easily satisfied.

• Like 2

I win on most boring breakfast.

2 slices of bread most likely with cheese,  100 ml  of vanilla lactose free yogurt + meds and  two cups of tea.   This what I have over and over again and it due to my meds,  they wont work unless I do this.   Thank God I have aged cheese,   I am now enjoying a  30 month  priest cheese and a  20 month   Manson cheese.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

image.jpg

Toasted homemade mini baguette (thank you for the idea Ann_ T) topped with cream cheese and Danish cucumber.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

SAND.jpg

could not wait.  went to the store very early, 6 am.

Fresh still warm onion roll from the bakery,  rare RB, melted swiss, lettuce, thinly sliced tomato, thin sliced vidalia

onion, mayo ( lots ) horseradish.  S&P.

delicious.  I had to check to make sure before I took the pic.

Id forgotten  how delicious a RB sandwich can be.  the onion roll still warm makes this.

but I had to be sure.  I had seconds.

I only bought 4 rolls.  just as well.

guess what's for dinner .

• Like 8

rotuts

A true breakfast of champions. Like the Eveready bunny you'll have power to spare. Unless like me you decide to sleep it off!

My 2004 eG Blog

Rats !   ive been found out.  I indeed had to 'put my feet up' 

just for s bit.

tonight Ill add tater-tots.

when i have something so delicious, I wonder how many other delicious things Ive forgotten about.

image.jpg

Gruyere melt on toasted semolina bread with a sprinkling of Trader Joe's South African Smoke spice mix.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Today I had the same breakfast as yesterday :  the roast beef sandwich on the last onion roll. the roll was 24 hrs old.

the sandwich was still delicious.  but that still warm roll made a difference that pushed the sum total over the top.

still it's a nice breakfast.   i wondered why I hadn't made these from time to time in the past.

I guess its because they really do slow you down, if you know what I mean.  who needs that at 6 in the morning ?

• Like 1

Having a lazy day at home, so breakfast means two things. I don't have to rush. I have to use what's in the fridge. 

Fortunately, there was one unused hamburger patty from last night and plenty of salad materials. So guess what.

burger and coffee.jpg

With a nice big mug of coffee.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto