• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2014

Ann_T

[Moderator note: This topic continues the discussion here: Breakfast! 2013]

Fried%20Potato%2C%20Bacon%20and%20Chedda
First breakfast of the New Year - Fried Potato, Bacon, Green Onion and Cheddar Omelet.

Today's Breakfast

Biscuits%20with%20Ham%20January%202nd%2C
Leftover Ham and Biscuits

Biscuits%20with%20Ham%20and%20Egg%20Janu
Moe had his topped with a fried egg.

Edited by Mjx
Moderator note added. (log)
  • Like 10

New Year's Day breakfast was oeufs en cocotte, baked in a ramekin atop a layer of cheese grits, with the added attraction of some bacon jam dabbed around the egg yolk. Not terrifically photogenic, but awfully good.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpg

Egg in a hole with crumbled bacon and parmesan cheese on well-toasted multi grain bread

image.jpg

Small but effective umami bomb. Shiitake and cremini mushrooms sauted in garlic butter with St. Agur blue cheese and some cherry tomatoes on the side.

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Poached egg in a portobella cap with broiled tomatoes and wilted spinach. The spinach got a dab of miso butter.

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks to new ownership taking over the only grocery store in the small, remote town I live in, there is way more variety available than ever before (some are complaining about a small increase in pricing in general but it's a trade I'm happy to make). The result being that this morning I had grits for breakfast for the first time in over 10 years.

• Like 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

image.jpg

Two egg omelette filled with sauteed mushrooms and blue cheese.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Egg muffins in prosciutto cups.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Early breakfast today:

• Asparagus omelette (free-form, purposely browned; screaming hot pan, asparagus basically flash "stir-fried" w/ Himalayan salt in vegetable oil before adding in barely-beaten eggs diluted w/ a little water; centers of the pieces still wet/runny, the way I like it; asparagus still crunchy, barely cooked).

• Fried rice (leftover Hom Mali rice, chopped Western celery, chopped scallions, salt).

DSCN0310a_1k.jpg

• Like 5

image.jpg

Saint Julia would not approve! Browned omelette stuffed with dry-fried cremini mushrooms.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Breakfast today:

Baechu kimchi, bamboo shoots, fried tofu puffs, scallions & garlic soup; with the ho fun plus the soup sachet from a “Ho Fan Abalone Chicken Soup Flavored” package [sau Tao].

(leftover sauce from the previous day’s lunch, plus lots more fresh material, all sautéed w/ more oil before quenching w/ water and simmering)

DSCN0327a_1k.jpg

• Like 4

huiray, thanks for your comments on my omelette.

image.jpg

Couldn't bring myself to toast this just-baked bread hence "poached eggs on bread".

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Fritomelette -- not quite a frittata but more than an omelette. Roasted shrimp seasoned with salt and Japanese pepper, half a grated yellow squash, lightly salted and drained, and two eggs. Started stove top and finished briefly under the broiler of the Breville Smart oven.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Couple of very recent breakfasts – gussied-up instant noodles.

-------------------------

"Spicy Kimchi Flavor Bowl Noodle Soup" [Nongshim], with white standard button mushrooms & trimmed scallions.

DSCN0342a_1k.jpg

"Instant Noodles Artificial Seafood Flavor" [Dragonfly], with chopped Napa cabbage, a poached egg (in situ), "(fried) fish tofu", and chopped scallions.

DSCN0345b_1k.jpg

• Like 2

Couple of very recent breakfasts – gussied-up instant noodles.

"Spicy Kimchi Flavor Bowl Noodle Soup" [Nongshim], with white standard button mushrooms & trimmed scallions.

My favourite brand and flavour of instant noodles. Dressed up with mushrooms and scallions! Makes me wish I had some in the pantry. Must add to shopping list.

My 2004 eG Blog