• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2014

Ann_T

Hmm.  If kale is chewy then it is old kale.  Even then if it is sliced in a FINE chiffonade it is quite palatable - to me, anyway. Or cook it in the "US Southern Style" like with collard greens.  I like kale, in general.  Baby kale (teeny young leaves, no more than 3-4 inches in total length (stem+ frond) available from Farmers' Markets in the spring, might be an idea.  I love these.  Otherwise, I often get whole heads of kale (yes, the entire top of the kale plant) offered as fairly young plants and still in their succulent nature on a regular basis from Farmers' Markets, too, in season.

What about Lacinato/Tuscan kale? Or Russian kale? (both purple/red and white varieties)

p.s. Chinese kai-lan is also a kale.  ;-)

Edited by huiray (log)

2014_11_30_180.JPG

Shakshuka with potatoes.  And one egg I slightly scrambled with some crumbled feta.  Garnished with avocado. Pretty tasty, but kind of texturally uninteresting, in my opinion.

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

attachicon.gif2014_11_30_180.JPG

Shakshuka with potatoes.  And one egg I slightly scrambled with some crumbled feta.  Garnished with avocado. Pretty tasty, but kind of texturally uninteresting, in my opinion.

It looks delicious: the sort of thing you'd be picking up with bits of flatbread to eat, or even loading into a pita pocket for a messy breakfast sandwich.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Hmm.  If kale is chewy then it is old kale.  Even then if it is sliced in a FINE chiffonade it is quite palatable - to me, anyway. Or cook it in the "US Southern Style" like with collard greens.  I like kale, in general.  Baby kale (teeny young leaves, no more than 3-4 inches in total length (stem+ frond) available from Farmers' Markets in the spring, might be an idea.  I love these.  Otherwise, I often get whole heads of kale (yes, the entire top of the kale plant) offered as fairly young plants and still in their succulent nature on a regular basis from Farmers' Markets, too, in season.

What about Lacinato/Tuscan kale? Or Russian kale? (both purple/red and white varieties)

p.s. Chinese kai-lan is also a kale.  ;-)

If there was somewhere I could go to sign over my lifetime allocation of kale I would happily sign it over to you! This was very fresh red kale. I removed all the ribs, I made a fine chiffonade. I DO NOT LIKE KALE. And I know that your attempt to persuade me otherwise is meant well. But there are so many more vegetables that I love that I refuse to waste any more time or calories on kale.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm not trying to convince Anna of anyone else to eat something they don't enjoy, but I thought I'd share a way to make commercial kale quite edible to anyone who's interested.

Years ago, in Memphis, in the fall, when the flowers along a sunny wall of the house were spent in fall, I'd plant kale from seed in the beds. Harvested when small, it's quite tender, and boils up very quickly, mild and tender as spinach. Also, the more frequently you harvest the leaves from the outer plant, the more it encourages new growth in the middle. We had kale all fall, and sometimes quite far into the winter. Then in early spring, the roots were still viable, and we'd get another crop. When the weather warms, the plants want to flower and bolt, and it's time for another flower bed.

I tried the same thing with supermarket kale harvested at over a foot long, and I think you'd have to cook it like southern collards, as huiray suggests, to make it edible.

BUT, you can take the overgrown supermarket kale, tear it into pieces off the stems, toss it in a plastic bag or bowl with olive oil, less salt and pepper than you'd think it needs and bake. It's easy to oversalt because you're dehydrating it. Spread on baking sheet(s) in a single layer. It only takes a few minutes at 350F to crisp and brown into something that tastes like potato chips. Watch closely to prevent burning, and turn the pieces when the tops are brown, but the bottom isn't dehydrated yet.This treatment destroys the toughness for a reason I can't explain. The kale chips shatter on your tongue. It's similar to roasted cauliflower, but it's all crispy bits.

It's the only way I can eat overgrown kale, but I really like it this way.

> ^ . . ^ <

No kale was harmed in the making of this breakfast:

image.jpg

Piece of leftover naan grilled and topped with asparagus, poached egg and shaved Parmesan.

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

That is beautiful. And kale free.

Thank you.

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Cheese and bacon quesadilla.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Well, never mind about the deviled egg.  The hunters stopped in and one of them popped it in their mouth.   :rolleyes:

Deviled eggs take the edge off a big hunger very quickly!

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Scrambled eggs Bhurji style. Eggs, onions, ginger, turmeric, tomato and a chilli from hell!

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Caramelized onion naan brushed with olive oil sprinkled with nanami togarishi and topped with leftover Japanese seasoned chicken, tiny Roma tomatoes and some Gruyere. A tasty cultural mishmash.

image.jpg

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

One slice of toast halved. 1/2 topped with leftover chicken and the other with prosciutto.

image.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Another Diana Henry recipe, slightly adapted. Soy mushrooms with ribbons of egg. Mushrooms are sautéed with a little soy sauce and dressed with sour cream. A one egg omelette is rolled and cut into ribbons. Black sesame seeds for garnish. Tasty.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

I had a little Sterling Silver Sirloin roast, presalted and ready to roast last night for dinner. But I came home from work with a migraine and went right to bed. SO, I roasted it this morning and made Moe one of his favourite breakfasts. Scrambled egg with roast beef and gravy and served with Yorkshire Pudding.

Yorkshire%20Pudding%20December%208th%2C%

Scrambled%20Egg%20and%20Roast%20Beef%20D

• Like 8

Ann_T that is truly a breakfast of champions. I pride myself on early morning challenges but must admit that so far it has never occurred to me to make roast beef for breakfast. Not that I'm knocking it.

My 2004 eG Blog