• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2014

Ann_T

rotuts – a roast beef sandwich on an onion roll sounds like the perfect breakfast!

jvalentino – that frittata is gorgeous!  I’ve never made one, but just saw it in a new magazine and wanted to try it.  I’ll definitely do it now, having seen yours!

Ann – how long were the eggs in your next to last post cooked?  They look perfect to me.

Father’s Day b’fast:

med_gallery_3331_117_174229.jpg

Eggs, sausage and some good nectarines!

• Like 1

It is midsummer eve in Sweden, the big festival is in full swing  so this is what we had in the morning.  Even I went of my rutine of 2 sandwiches, tea, yogurt and meds.  Well I kept the meds, tea and yogurt  but still it wont be happy days tomorrow, but I dont care. I have 2 days where I can lay down and moan.

20140620_072603_zpsf815104a.jpg

Daughter's breakfast,  fresh strawberries, Greek yogurt and Scottish pancakes  shaped as a flower.  She happily screamed CAKE and ate it all and then two more.

20140620_072714_zpsc1b17eaf.jpg

My husbands stack of Scottish pancakes, Greek yogurt and  strawberries.

You wont get to see mine, it was small portion.

• Like 2

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

image.jpg

Well the cupboards are beginning to bare their bones! A couple of just-sprouting Yukons, a couple of stalks of limp broccoli and leftover black garlic butter were mashed together, seasoned well and formed into small cakes and fried in duck fat. Topped with an egg also fried in duck fat and I had little to whine about. The potato and broccoli made more than enough "cakes" for breakfast so they made a reapperance at lunch.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ann – thanks for the advice re: boiled/steamed eggs.  Seems to me that I recently saw the steaming method in a Cook’s Illustrated magazine.  Now that I’ve seen yours, I will definitely try it (I trust you more than CI :biggrin: ).  And your scones are absolutely lovely.  I don’t know if I’ve ever seen currants in the stores here.

CatPoet – your Scottish pancakes look great – any chance you’d share the recipe.  I’m always on the lookout for the perfect pancake!

liuzhou – you got that right.  Bacon butties are the best :wub: !

Breakfast this morning:

med_gallery_3331_117_30521.jpg

ET bagel with olive cream cheese and Benton’s bacon.  Also some of the lovely peaches that we are getting right now.  I am eating 1-2 stone fruit a day right now.

• Like 4

Soba

You must tell us more about your French toast. It looks scrumptious.

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Soba

You must tell us more about your French toast. It looks scrumptious.

thanks. :)

thick-sliced sourdough whole wheat bread soaked in a mixture of 4 beaten eggs, I don't know how much heavy cream, a dash of cinnamon and tablespoon of tawny port. I am a lightweight when it comes to alcohol, otherwise I'd use more of it and anyway, I'm only interested in the flavor.

fry in melted unsalted butter on one side for 2-3 minutes, then flip. toasts are done when they're browned.

I had two slices with plum confiture and two slices with spicy tomato chutney.

Thank you. Not a fan of French toast but you could surely convince me otherwise especially with the spicy tomato chutney!

My 2004 eG Blog

Ann – I would honestly eat Moe’s breakfast for up to 2 meals a day very, very often.  Egg soaked crusty bread is my idea of heaven.

Today’s breakfast was Benton bacon, some fabulous nectarines and some eggs given to us by a co-worker of Mr. Kim’s as a thank you for all the treats I send to the office:

med_gallery_3331_117_59093.jpg

The eggs are cooked “Ashen-style”.  

• Like 4

I don't always drink on Sunday mornings, but when I do, it's a Bloody Mary heavy on the Tabasco and celery salt. With maple syrup and black pepper bacon on avocado mashed with chilli and lemon, piled on sourdough toast, aka a Coronary on a Plate. But delicious!

IMG_8337.JPG

• Like 8

Beautiful setting, too, RRO.

Yesterday I made up some pork sausages.  40% belly / 60% shoulder (total 3.5kg), each meat ground half through a standard plate once, the other half through a semi-coarse plate, once.  10% crumbed homemade white bread by weight, and lots of pepper.

2014-07-11%2023.25.15.jpg

Twisted into links:

2014-07-12%2012.42.39.jpg

Can anyone guess what I had for breakfast this morning ?  Yes, that's right, I had sausages for breakfast:

2014-07-12%2013.07.45.jpg

Edited by Blether (log)
  • Like 4

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Blether, I'd invite you to breakfast - or the other way around - if the trip were shorter.

Around here, pork belly is rare enough to be an expensive luxury - too expensive to grind into even the loveliest sausage. Is it less so on your side of the pond, or were these very special luxury sausages that you made?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Hey, Smithy, drop by any time  :wink:

These are very much economical everyday eating.  Especially considering the markup on commercial sausages, oy vey!

I get the belly for about USD9-10/kilo.  The shoulder has normally been USD12-13.  This was a big piece and came priced at about USD10/kilo.  USD10/kilo is what, $4.50/lb?

You should see the price of fruit & veg round here, though.  Frightening.  For example: *a peach*, three dollars; *an apple*, a buck fifty.  *A stick of celery*, three dollars.

Tell you what, you bring the salad & I'll meet you in Honolulu.

• Like 1

Blether,

Those sausages look very good and sound relatively simple to make. What equipment are you using? Are those collagen casings! Thanks.

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna,

I have a hand-cranked grinder from Porkert of Prague (I have one of their hand-crank meat slicers too, for my bacon).  It's their #5 model, and I have several different plates for it and the simple sausage stuffing attachment.  I think the casings *are* collagen - the butcher was kind enough to give me a a pile of them when I was last in Scotland, and I was too grateful to remember to ask.  They look like these (thanks, Google search), so I guess so.

Grinding stuff's easy enough, but be aware that stuffing single-handedly with a hand-crank machine is slow work:  one hand to wind the crank, one to push mixture into the hopper, and one to guide the casings as they stuff.  Of course you don't *have* to put it in casings.  For reference, my notes:

1453g pork belly
2139g pork shoulder
=3592g meat

Minced the meat, each piece half standard die, half one size coarser

12tsp black pepper
6tsp salt
325g crumbed home-made white bread