• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2014

Ann_T

image.jpg

A bacon and cheese muffin with pickled beets and pickled quince.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So I usually dont post here..  but have a slow morning

Darn dry blew a breaker and need to get on roof to clean vent..But its frosty   :huh:

Breakfast of Champions

Omelet using Corkscrew Wine & Cheese..chorizo/ sous vide  ( 4hr@90C ) trumpet mushrooms seared/Pomegranate seeds/ Sriracha/ lemon parsley puree

IMG_7803.JPG

IMG_7803.JPG

• Like 6

Its good to have Morels

Paul,

That lemon parsley puree looks and sounds delicious. I have lemons. I have parsley. Now I need a little guidance, please.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Breakfast this morning was spiralized sweet potato and a poached egg:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/150390-spiralized-vegetables-and-vegetable-rices/?p=2003065

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna

I had some organic Parsley left ( I just washed  it) _  one bunch with stems( every thing ) / squeeze of one lemon ( have a press, for good extraction )/ pinch of course salt/  Now I used Costco Tuscan olive oil ( just enough to get it mixing )

Blitzed in a Vita-Mix  till emulsivied

Did taste really good..  --and seems to be color stable

btw--I bought your Spiralizer too  ( thanks for the tip )

Cheers Doc

Its good to have Morels

RT--

Yes..u are correct...

But  real easy to do .ie

I have some microwavable flat bowls, about 5 " in diameter/  I scrambled a raw egg/ add the chorizo/ salt /pepper    Microwaved it 1 min..perfect circle everytime

You could get more volume with 2 eggs but I dont eat much

Its good to have Morels

Paul,

That lemon parsley puree looks and sounds delicious. I have lemons. I have parsley. Now I need a little guidance, please.

My 2004 eG Blog

weinoo-  that is the third name/variation for that dish I have seen this week..  well similar anyway   shakshuka and eggs in purgatory ; also have a spicy element .      I made this last weekend, not as photogenic as yours though. 

yBpyVKZ.jpg

Edited by Ashen (log)
  • Like 5

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

After reading Weinoo's ramen thread

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/150411-favorite-ramen-brand-and-flavor/?p=2003486

(someday I will retain how to embed links--C. Sadipus taught me years ago but I've forgotten)

I had to test out my purchase for breakfast this morning

photo 2.JPG

Anna – your KA Harvest bread looks much better than theirs – you should send them that picture!  I plan to make this soon.  Any hints or things that you did differently? 

Not cooking a lot of breakfasts these days (except for dinner).  Weekdays are just me, and I am not much of an early breakfast person.  Saturdays we are usually up and out early running errands and Sundays we usually go out somewhere after church.  But I’m reading a book in which the main character has boiled eggs for breakfast almost every morning, so I got an urge for eggs.  Not hard boiled – I wanted soft boiled (my nemesis) and decided to tackle them again.  Breakfast this morning:

med_gallery_3331_117_129800.jpg

Nearly perfect soft boiled eggs.  The top left one was still slightly snotty around the yolk, but a couple of seconds in the microwave fixed that.  This was the America’s Test Kitchen steam method.  You place the eggs in 1/2-inch of boiling water, cover and let boil for 6 1/2 minutes, then rinse with cold water for 30 seconds.  I’ll try this again tomorrow for 7 minutes.  Easiest and most straightforward method I’ve ever tried.  According to ATK, you can use this method for 1-6 large, extra large or jumbo eggs with no change of timing.  

• Like 1

Hey weinoo,

Your photo looks like the most perfect shirred egg I've ever seen. The yolk looks ready to ooze, the white seems set, but not overcooked.

I've never had good results in attempting to bake eggs.

Could you share your cooking method please?

It doesn't looked cooked in situ. The white would have seeped down into the supporting bed of spinach and bacon. I'd hazard a guess it must've been covered in the oven.

Please, do tell.

> ^ . . ^ <

image.jpg

Nigel Slater inspired. A bun halved (both ways, the second half stashed for another day) and toasted, spread with garlic cream cheese and topped with sautéed mushrooms.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Hey weinoo,

Your photo looks like the most perfect shirred egg I've ever seen. The yolk looks ready to ooze, the white seems set, but not overcooked.

I've never had good results in attempting to bake eggs.

Could you share your cooking method please?

It doesn't looked cooked in situ. The white would have seeped down into the supporting bed of spinach and bacon. I'd hazard a guess it must've been covered in the oven.

Please, do tell.

Thanks, Thanks.

It was definitely cooked in situ.  Uncovered, in the Cuisinart Steam Girl, at 325F steam-bake setting, for 8 minutes.

The spinach was blanched and shocked and the bacon was pre-cooked.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Yesterday's delight.  Wish I had more avocado today...

IMG_20150122_083252.jpg

Edited by tug (log)
  • Like 2

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

Breakfast this morning:

med_gallery_3331_117_43111.jpg

Sage sausage, fried eggs and whomp biscuits.  I usually do NOT use refrigerated biscuits, but wasn’t sure that I had dumplings in the freezer the other day when I made chicken and dumplings and bought these to substitute.  About what you’d expect.

• Like 2

I don't usually eat anything sweet for breakfast....it gives me a headache for some reason.  But, this morning I couldn't resist waffles that my husband made.

photo 3.JPG

Host's note: this delicious topic continues in Breakfast! 2015....

Edited by Smithy (log)
  • Like 3