• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2014

Ann_T

Breakfast this morning for eG's Patris and myself at Bertha's in Buffalo.   It's a little hole in the wall diner - excellent food!

DSCN3797.jpg

Breakfast burrito for me.  

DSCN3798.jpg

Somehow managed to lose the picture of Patris's breakfast - but it was a piece of grilled blueberry banana bread and behind you can see toad in the hole with american cheese - they called it Sitting Pretty.

• Like 7

image.jpg

Barely melted blue cheese on toast

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Breakfast lovers will perhaps enjoy this.

Great fun. Thank you for sharing. Great ideas for both breakfast and plating.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Pan-fried "toast".

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Pieces of string too short to save. I cannot believe I had squirreled away these bits of cheese instead of declaring them not worth saving. But they made a fine breakfast. A sliver of Gruyere that was dry around the edges and a teaspoon or so of blue cheese crumbled in its container.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

image.jpg

Spanish potato and onion tortilla.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

AnnaN  if you dont gobble ( sic ) that Tortilla Espanola all up

they are excellent later at room temp !

Yes I have saved half of it for a midmorning snack. Started my day early so will need some sustenance around 10 o'clock.

My 2004 eG Blog

A few of this weeks breakfasts.

Anna, your tortilla looks delicious.  Yesterday's breakfast was suppose to be a Spanish Tortilla, but 

Scrambled%20eggs%20with%20fried%20potato

decided at the last minute to serve the potatoes with the caramelized onions on the side with scrambled eggs.

Buttermilk%20Biscuits%20%20and%20Sausage

Home-made Buttermilk Biscuits with Sausage gravy.

Cornbread%20November%2025th%2C%202014%20

Cornbread.  Saved some to go into today's turkey dressing.

Mushroom%20Omelette%20November%2024th%2C

Mushroom Omelette.

• Like 6

Your biscuits always look great Ann_T. 

:smile:

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

image.jpg

Made cabbage rolls yesterday. Forgot to take pictures of dinner but here is a leftover that made a fine breakfast this morning.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

AnnaN   the C.R's are quite an adventure for Breakfasting.

Not really. At least not for me. I think the only thing that distinguishes breakfast from lunch or dinner is time of day rather than what is served.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Not really. At least not for me. I think the only thing that distinguishes breakfast from lunch or dinner is time of day rather than what is served.

I can identify with that. Although I eat the more traditional breakfast fare in the morning it's all fair game

Im game for almost anything for breakfast.  how ever, after AnnaN's post i realize for some reason

brassicas are not on the list.  had not realized this before   even more interesting on further reflection

only cooked B's dont make the list.   Slaw, fine.  braised red cabbage, later in the day.

odd.

Im game for almost anything for breakfast.  how ever, after AnnaN's post i realize for some reason

brassicas are not on the list.  had not realized this before   even more interesting on further reflection

only cooked B's dont make the list.   Slaw, fine.  braised red cabbage, later in the day.

odd.

I'd say for the most part anything I would not eat for breakfast I would not likely eat any other time of the day either. Biscuits and gravy would require a very large dose of GRAVOL morning, noon or night. I like biscuits and I like gravy but not together.

My 2004 eG Blog

Speaking of GRAVOL, I'm looking at the Thanksgiving leftovers, pie especially, and KNOW that some of them are going to be breakfast.  I also know, from years of experience, that directly following this breakfast, interior misery will ensue.  So I'm procrastinating eating the delicious breakfast that will cause such discomfort.  But the coffee is ready and the maple pecan pie with whipped cream is calling....

image.jpg

Fried egg over sautéed kale and sweet potatoes. I was giving kale a second chance but it will never find a permanent home in my recipe file! I simply do not see its appeal. It is lacking in taste and even when cooked carefully is so chewy that I end up spitting it out rather than choking. I googled and found others who are in agreement with me. I am happy for those who enjoy it but I am not likely to become a convert. Thankfully there are so many other green vegetables that I can enjoy.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog