• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2014

Ann_T

Nicolai,  What a great photo.  

Kim, that is one beautiful quiche.  And a perfect slice.

A few of our recent breakfasts.

Linguine%20Alfredo%20September%2011th%2C

Linguine Alfredo with poached egg and bacon.

Pancakes%20and%20Bananas%20September%206

Pancakes with caramelized bananas in maple syrup.

Poached%20Eggs%20September%209th%2C%2020

Poached Eggs.

Meatloaf%20Hash%20September%202nd%2C%202

Meatloaf Hash and buttered basted eggs.

• Like 9

Great looking poached eggs! Tomatoes are the bomb for breakfast. Glad to see such great combos for ideas!

Picked up lovely Portobello  mushrooms: lightly fried egg to set the bottom. Slid the egg onto a buttered mushroom and finished cooking in the oven.

PortobelloEgg3733.jpg

• Like 8

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

image.jpg

image.jpg

Potato chip tortilla from Dorie Greenspan's Around My French Table. The recipe is available on Epicurious. I have fallen in love all over again with Dorie.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

It is rare for me to have anything sweet for breakfast but this was a trial to see how an apple cake would freeze and re-heat. The cake is Marie-Helene's Apple Cake from Dorie Greenspan and it was still quite edible after freezing and re-heating. Fresh though, it was a real winner!

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Fried egg on planned-over potato and carrot hash.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Some mini-quiche, loosely based on the Dorie Greenspan recipe that was referenced by Anna N and Kerry Beal in their latest Manitoulin adventure.

IMGP3132.JPG

Aside from using tart shells, I added a bit of cooked bacon, used green onion instead of leek or onion and added some Parm cheese to the mixed eggs and cream. I had a small amount of diced red and orange peppers in the freezer, so perfect to use them up. 

This is great for breakfasts on the run for us, along with a piece of fruit. 

The original Dorie Greenspan recipe for the Quiche Maraichère here.

• Like 4

Those look beautiful, FauxPas!  The top crusts and crimps look very even.  Do you have a special technique for that?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Those look beautiful, FauxPas!  The top crusts and crimps look very even.  Do you have a special technique for that?

Ummm..... buy them?  :blush:  :laugh:

Sorry, I should have made it clearer, the shells were purchased. There is a bit of cheddar cheese on top, no top crust. Not the best photo. 

We are living in temp rental accommodations  with a limited kitchen. I'm not being all that creative these days.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Moe's breakfast.

Beef%20Tenderloin%2C%20Mushrooms%20and%2

I had some small pieces of beef tenderloin in the freezer, leftover from when I trimmed a whole tenderloin.

Beef%20Tenderloin%2C%20Mushrooms%20and%2

Perfect for breakfast. Seared the beef quickly, and then sautéed some mushrooms in the same pan. Served with buttered basted eggs.

• Like 7

Blether - confession time.  That was frozen, store-bought crust.  I was feeling a bit under the weather (I ended up spending the second half of the game in a sandwich shop - couldn't take the heat and concrete stadium seating) and just couldn't face rolling out dough.   :blush:

I actually prefer crustless quiche.  Question:  did you serve the quiche at room temp?  We're going to a tailgating event in a few weeks and I was thinking quiche.  TIA.

I'm not Kim....but I wish I was 'cause she's such a great cook :)

I make crustless quiche a lot and it's best served at room temp, IMO.  My mom just made one a couple of weeks ago for a special luncheon with friends--she baked her quiche at least an hour before her company got there.  I think quiche would make a great tail-gate food!

edited to add:  Heck I eat it cold out of the fridge the next day.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 3

I like eggs, and I love how even slight variations can make them seem so different. I made some quick tamagoyaki this morning and finished off some leftover tomato. My spirals weren't as thick or as tight as they should be and each layer should have been thinner, obviously. Still tasty, though!   :smile:

I just used a small round pan, thinking about getting a proper one or maybe one of the small rectangular Lodge pans. 

IMGP3179.JPG

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 5

image.jpg

So sorry that my photo does little justice to my breakfast! This is half of an English muffin toasted and rubbed with garlic, topped with a couple of asparagus spears, an egg and a few shavings of Gruyere. Breakfast had to wait until I had done some grocery shopping since I had been away in Manitoulin for three weeks. My refrigerator was embarrassingly empty and hungry I was.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog