• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2014

Ann_T

Hassouni,

This looks delicious and right up my alley for breakfast. I googled for a recipe and they seem to be all over the place in terms of both ingredients and methods. I take it though that the dish is traditional but hardly crucial to the success of the recipe?

Yeah, the pan is not too important. Tomatoes and eggs are the two must-haves, but onions and peppers feature more often than not, I'd say

image.jpg

Tiny pita bread split, buttered and toasted in cast iron pan then filled with Braunschweiger, tomato, cucumber and baby spinach with a schmear of milk mayo.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Toasted home-made raisin bread.

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

favorite mid-morning meal this time of year...toasted multigrain bagel (perfect for this application, it's hole had closed during baking) with a very thin layer of cream cheese and thick slices of locally grown tomato. Eaten open-faced, so as to make sure I maximized tomato consumption.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

This morning I read Andiesejni's recipe for making scrambled eggs and I had to try it.

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/138706-best-scrambled-eggs-2011-and-beyond/?p=1814687

Delicious, creamy and rich.  Garden tomatoes on the side.  Thank you Andiesenji!

photo.JPG

• Like 2

I've had this little meal a lot over the last 6 weeks or so. The BC peaches have been so luscious this year and I always love banana-nut breads or muffins. I've been using a simple Banana Nut Muffin recipe from Simply Recipes, I use a bit less sugar and I always use 4 bananas! They freeze well, so it's easy to reheat one in the microwave. I've made several batches of these muffins because we seem to scarf them down pretty fast. Sometimes I use pecans instead of walnuts. 

IMGP3090.JPG

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 7

Blether – beautiful pate!

Saturday before last was the first tailgate of the UVA football season.  It was a noon game so we decided on breakfast.  CI’s quiche and stone fruit salad:

med_gallery_3331_117_35055.jpg

med_gallery_3331_117_32676.jpg

Slice:

med_gallery_3331_117_16053.jpg

I really don’t make quiche nearly often enough.  I forget how simple and delicious it is and how beautifully leftovers reheat.  We like it for breakfast, lunch or dinner.  

• Like 6

Blether - confession time.  That was frozen, store-bought crust.  I was feeling a bit under the weather (I ended up spending the second half of the game in a sandwich shop - couldn't take the heat and concrete stadium seating) and just couldn't face rolling out dough.   :blush:

• Like 2

Blether - confession time.  That was frozen, store-bought crust.  I was feeling a bit under the weather (I ended up spending the second half of the game in a sandwich shop - couldn't take the heat and concrete stadium seating) and just couldn't face rolling out dough.   :blush:

Amen, sister.  Nothing wrong with store bought crust.  

• Like 4

image.jpg

Re-heated (from frozen) corn pudding tart.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Got up early.  Hit Market Basket. you may have heard of them recently.  opens at 7 am  but they are ready at 6:30 AM or sooner.

back quickly. :

Coffee.jpg

One of SweetMaria's Ethiopian's  'Home Roasted ' waiting on the Manual Drip 

Mise.jpg

Mise of Ham/Swiss/FreshWartOnionRoll ( MB's ) tomato, onion, pickles 

Done.jpg

of course, Mayo and Horseradish.

Excellent Breakfast.  these were Ba-Tanpte 1/2 sours.  very green. more like plain cuke's

a bit of a flaw right there !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 9

image.jpg

Words would be superfluous.

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, I like how the design of the plate looks like a sunburst "featuring" the tomato toast!

Yeah I'd love to tell you I thought it through. Not so. Purely accidental. But thanks.

My 2004 eG Blog