• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2014

Ann_T

image.jpg

Dinner leftovers. Salmon patty, sauteed artichoke hearts and a spoonful of red pepper tapenade.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Crustless ham and cheese quiche.

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Yesterday: Western sandwich

Today: leftover bison chili with half a salvaged roll and the last of the Cholula chili lime hot sauce

ANNA N :  glad to see you home safe and sound and that crustless quiche is really calling my name!!

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Yesterday: Western sandwich

Today: leftover bison chili with half a salvaged roll and the last of the Cholula chili lime hot sauce

ANNA N :  glad to see you home safe and sound and that crustless quiche is really calling my name!!

Ah yes. A toasted western is one of my favourites. Thanks for the kind wishes. Blame Blether for the quiche. He renewed my interest in quiches in all their manifestations.

My 2004 eG Blog

Ah yes. A toasted western is one of my favourites. Thanks for the kind wishes. Blame Blether for the quiche. He renewed my interest in quiches in all their manifestations.

I know ... me, too.  That's why I made a ham, broccoli and swiss quiche last weekend for guests.   Now I'm thinking a crustless western?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

image.jpg

Re-heated crustless quiche and steamed broccoli.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Sweet potato "hash" fried in duck fat, topped with an egg and showered with Aleppo pepper.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Lots of Indian cabbage and potatoes left over from last night. I gave them a quick chop and threw them into a screaming hot cast iron pan with some ghee. Topped with a fried egg they made a fine breakfast.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Nice hit of umami to start the day. Portobello caps topped with sliced tomatoes and mozzarella.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Love the look of that portobello with tomato and egg. Got 2 in the fridge - Breakfast tomorrow!

Picked up a wheel of camembert 50% off...so, for breakfast this morning with a cuppa of Tim's-at- Home

CamembertReduced0004.jpg

Toasted English muffin topped with tomato, bacon, camembert cheese and fresh herbs...

• Like 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Breakfast this morning required more than the usual amount of imagination. It is very early as I will be on the road by 8:30 heading for the Eggfest down Niagara way. (http://forums.egullet.org/topic/135020-cooking-on-a-big-green-egg/?p=1982051)

So a quick review of the fridge yielded:

image.jpg

A zucchini which I sliced and quickly broiled, some Parmesan cheese to top it with, a chub of herbed braunschweiger and some home pickled beets. Perfectly satisfactory.

There will be lots of food at the fest but it will not start appearing until after 11 AM. By 2 PM we will all be too stuffed to move!

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Rather substantial breakfast. Knew I would miss lunch today due to an appointment. Acorn squash with baked egg (egg overcooked) accompanied by ciabatta bread with herbed braunschweiger.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Inspired by a recent breakfast at Van Kahvaltı Evi in the Cihangir district of İstanbul, I had to get myself a menemen pan...and make menemen!

1522102_10100206397390141_16475482656261

At its most basic level, it's onion, green peppers, and lots of tomatoes sauteed/softened in olive oil, with beaten egg thrown it at the end and then scrambled until barely set. Utterly delicious. This was a plain one, but it's often made with cheese and/or meats such as sucuk (sliced spicy sausages) thrown in as well. 

PS: Turkey is the place to get copper cookware, this pan wasn't more than about $15.

Edited by Hassouni (log)
  • Like 3

Inspired by a recent breakfast at Van Kahvaltı Evi in the Cihangir district of İstanbul, I had to get myself a menemen pan...and make menemen!

1522102_10100206397390141_16475482656261

At its most basic level, it's onion, green peppers, and lots of tomatoes sauteed/softened in olive oil, with beaten egg thrown it at the end and then scrambled until barely set. Utterly delicious. This was a plain one, but it's often made with cheese and/or meats such as sucuk (sliced spicy sausages) thrown in as well. 

PS: Turkey is the place to get copper cookware, this pan wasn't more than about $15.

Hassouni,

This looks delicious and right up my alley for breakfast. I googled for a recipe and they seem to be all over the place in terms of both ingredients and methods. I take it though that the dish is traditional but hardly crucial to the success of the recipe?

My 2004 eG Blog