• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2014

Ann_T

Blether, thank you for posting the proportions and ingredients. I don't think I can get pork belly so inexpensively here (you're right, that's a good price) but if I can, I'll give this sausage recipe a try.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Blether, I been pondering to buy that type of casing since I cant get  smaller ones for  frying sausages here.  They do work as   well as normal casings?

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Cat - well, what's normal, after all?  If collagen is what the butcher uses (and he's a good butcher), that's my normal right away.  Why would I want to fuss about sourcing hard-to-find expensive animal gut casings, fiddling about rinsing the salt out and footering around trying desperately not to tear them?  These things are easy to work with and they cook up nicely and taste good.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Cat - well, what's normal, after all?  If collagen is what the butcher uses (and he's a good butcher), that's my normal right away.  Why would I want to fuss about sourcing hard-to-find expensive animal gut casings, fiddling about rinsing the salt out and footering around trying desperately not to tear them?  These things are easy to work with and they cook up nicely and taste good.

And transporting smelly gut from Scotland to Japan - might ring some alarm bells at customs!

• Like 1

I know that a lot of people like leftover pizza for breakfast. I'm not one of them. But a fresh baked pizza for breakfast is a whole other story.

Pizza%20July%2013th%2C%202014%201-XL.jpg

I had planned to bake pizza last night using the sourdough that had been in the fridge since Thursday. I was late getting home from work and it was just too darn hot to even think of turning the oven on to 550°F. So...........I got up at 3:30  this morning and took the dough out of the fridge and went back to bed. Got up again about 5:15. I had enough dough to make one loaf of bread and one pizza. While the loaf was rising, I made the pizza sauce. Seasoned ground pork for Italian sausage and sauted enough for the pizza. And then sauteed mushroom. By 6:30 Moe was eating pizza in bed watching the women's British Open.

• Like 6

Blether:  animal gut  casings is easy to find here sadly the type they have are the wider ones, the smaller ones are hard to get hold of.  It cost  5 pounds  for  5-6 meter . I have to special order the ones you have and since they cost  more I just wanted to know if it is worth the money and it seams to be that.  I used  animal casings for  around 31 years now.

IMG_5063.jpg

Edited by CatPoet (log)

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Kerry: I just wondered if they works as animal casing, since I never used collagen., I never suggested  he should get them. I just wanted to know  , his take on how they work.

Kerry: I just wondered if they works as animal casing, since I never used collagen., I never suggested  he should get them. I just wanted to know  , his take on how they work.

Collagen casings are stiffer and don't twist between links as easily as gut ones do (you often see people tying butcher twine between links).  They don't curl the way that gut does either.  But they are also less likely to tear and don't require the preparation that gut does.  And no refrigeration required.  I've always used gut - but if I ever get my hands on the collagen ones I'd like to do a side by side comparison.  

Hey, Kim.  Since we're talking about sausages - what is it that's good about the Wrights?  What are the flavours?  How peppery/spicy hot is it?

Normally I don't cook breakfast, so this is my first post in this topic.  But we had leftover homemade Challah from two nights previous (that I slightly over-baked) and my daughter was visiting this weekend, so I made her french toast with it (I had some too).  She is becoming lactose intolerant (as I already am), so I made it with coconut milk.  Very yummy!

french-toast.jpg

• Like 6

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Ann__ T,

I never liked leftover pizza either until I discovered that pizza can be put in a regular toaster and toasted....like toast! It comes out hot and very crispy. It might not work with standard pizza place pizza, but the pizza we make at home is thin crust, with minimal cheese and a modest amount of toppings, and it holds together fine when vertical--excellent the next morning this way. Your pizza looks very yummy. 

Blether – the Wright’s sausage was just pure USA country breakfast sausage.  No fillers, gentle spice and deeply porky.  I love all kinds of sausage – in all varieties.  But for breakfast, I really love a classic American-style country sausage.  Does that make any sense?

Mark – your French toast looks EXACTLY like I always aim for, but never really get.  I love that beautiful crust.  I am not a fan of a really custardy interior, so I usually slice the bread thinner than called for, but I’d love some pointers!

Mark – your French toast looks EXACTLY like I always aim for, but never really get.  I love that beautiful crust.  I am not a fan of a really custardy interior, so I usually slice the bread thinner than called for, but I’d love some pointers!

Gosh, I haven't made French Toast in, well, a large number of years. I can't actually ever remember making it, but I must have. It was 2 cups of milk (I used unsweetened, plain coconut milk), 3 extra large eggs and 1.5 tbs of sugar. I meant to add vanilla but forgot. The challah was pretty dense so I soaked the bread for about 10 minutes, flipping every couple. It wasn't absorbing fast enough for my hungry daughter so I zapped the dish for a minute in the microwave, which helped. Pre-heated a non-stick skillet with some rice bran oil and cooked them for about 3-4 minutes per side. Dusted with cinnamon and powdered sugar.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

KIM, maybe you should try Swedish  Fattiga Riddare,  Poor  Knights , it is our version french toast, but it isnt sweet or custardy interior.  I translate the recipe if you want too.

Kim, yes, that makes sense.  I grew up with a spicier (black or white pepper, not chilli) sausage and I miss them.  On trips to the States and in Americanised venues I've noticed that the 'standard' American style is milder.

I love the combination of the pepper burn in my mouth with hot breakfast tea.

Mark – thank you! I made notes and will try it next time that I have a craving.

CatPoet – thank you so much for the offer of the translation.  I’d really appreciate it!

Blether – I, too, like a good black pepper hit with breakfast sausage (and a little sage).  You may be appalled to hear that I love breakfast sausage dipped in Maple syrup.  Actually, the best way I’ve ever done it is dipping sausage into honey infused with black pepper :blush: .

Breakfast yesterday:

med_gallery_3331_117_164626.jpg

Eggs, more Wright’s sausage and nectarines and plums.  

• Like 2

20140725_062704_zps00582612.jpg

My husband breakfast Swedish  French toast,, know as poor knights with  these lovely  sweet Malvina strawberries.

200 ml milk, 1 egg, 50 ml flour 1 pinch salt,  Whisk smooth.  Slice the bread not to thick.  Dip in the batter and fry until golden.  It is all in how hot your  skillet and  butter is to get them lovely.

• Like 1