• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2014

Ann_T

Egg dosa with masala, sambar and spiced yogurt sauce:

6116c117-87c1-449a-a96f-a14359a9efe5.jpg

We've made masala dosa for dinner a few times now, and decided to use the some leftovers for today's breakfast.

The recipes for the components are from the Prashad Cookbook, which I highly recommend.

Gorgeous! Masala dosa is one of my favorite foods on earth, not far behind Mysore masala dosa (inside of dosa slathered with red chile paste). :smile:

Clean out the fridge breakfast here -chorizo and eggs with tomatoes, onions, and fresh chiles, topped with Cholula salsa and avocado. Warm corn tortillas.

p287056036-4.jpg

• Like 4

14102250011_e768476409_z.jpg

14102250621_5ec48f9d28_z.jpg

Curried chickpeas with coconut and spinach, served with spicy tomato chutney, raita and garlic pickle

Just something I threw together. I wanted to introduce my boyfriend to homemade Indian food since all of his previous experiences have been at restaurants. Homemade tends to be lighter and fresher (e.g., not as much ghee, sour cream or coconut milk).

The chickpeas were soaked last night for 8 hours, then drained and simmered in lightly salted water on medium-low heat, partly covered, for an hour.

Curry contains ghee, black mustard seed, dried curry leaves, ginger-garlic paste, sliced onion, black cumin seed, cardamom pods, chickpeas, dried coconut, Greenmarket spinach, sea salt, turmeric and a little of the chickpea cooking liquid.

The chutney and pickle were store-bought. The raita is just cumin seed and panch phoron toasted in some ghee, then stirred into unflavored yogurt, seasoned to taste with sea salt.

• Like 2

2014-05-07%2008.40.16.jpg

A soft-boiled 6-day-soy-pickled egg.  It's the first time I've tried the soy pickle - I had a spare little bottle of soy that I bought for a picnic but that never got used.  I planned it for four days, then went off gallivanting out to play on the water and it ended up 6.  No 4-day benchmark to compare it with, but as far as salt level goes, it was just right.  I loved the flavour of the yolk.  The hint of mushiness in the top of the white was, uh, different; and the soy took 80% of the brownness off the outside of the egg - it was a patchy film that I wiped off with my thumb.  Who knew ?  It was after I filled my pickling tub with soy that I thought some ponzu would be a good addition, so there's that for next time.

We've just had four days holidays here, that I turned into 5 by taking Friday off.  So taken overall, this is a fridge meal.  I've been making my taramasalata a lot this winter, for that fishy garlic hit in a hot snack that's ready in the time it takes the toaster to do its thing.  Coming home last night, I mixed and baked a quick loaf either side of going out for dinner (oil-pickled Hiroshima oysters; duck in port sauce / mashed potatoes locally for 20 bucks, what's not to like ?).  I force-rose it in the combo oven at the "ferment" setting that holds at 37C.  "Baked doughniut" effect courtesy of slapdash slicing.

The sarnie is Nisshin-world-deli salami getting past its best, chingensai/pak choy, tomato, aged Scottish cheddar also from Nisshin, and safflower mayo.  Bidding for extra back-to-work slovenly points by using last night's toast-crumb-adorned crockery and eating on top of paperwork in front of the computer.

Edited by Blether (log)
  • Like 2

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

image.jpg

Eggs en cocotte with creamed mushrooms

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Good Mexican Chorizo is very hard to find

in CA  they had two types:  one very very cheap that was made of pig's lymph nodes of all things

they gotta go somewhere

and one a bit more pricy w pork meat.

rare in N.E.    but trader joes has or had Im not sure some vegertarian chorizo of all things and it was OK

better than nothing.

I try not to eat other animals immune system

just saying.

nice meals, folks.

today, a leisurely brunch:

14158548172_d72bd5a99b_z.jpg

One-egg omelette, stuffed with Greenmarket asparagus and parmigiano-reggiano cheese; red amaranth and arugula salad

14162378045_82dda71756_z.jpg

Scallops with garlic and arugula, and crispy heirloom potatoes

served with glasses of mugicha (barley tea)

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)
  • Like 2

image.jpg

There is no way to make this look like anything but the dog's breakfast! It is in fact Richard Olney's onion omelette with vinegar.

Next time I would risk Richard rolling in his grave as I enhanced it with some gruyere.

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

""  Richard Olney's ""

there is a guy who knew some stuff.

Id love that any time of the day.

He had a small wine cask above his kitchen cabinets where he poured the remainder of his nights wine into it.

it was big enough that he got high end vinegar out of it.  well aged.

Ive thought about this for more years than I can count.  I never have left over wine.

:sad:

he is also the only guy that sued M.Stewart  ( jail bird ) twice and won.

sticky finger she did and has.

• Like 1

I'm not as big on breakfast as my husband, but I would be happy with anyone of the above breakfasts.  Especially Bruce's Mexican.

Today's breakfast.

Poached%20Eggs%20with%20Zucchini%20and%2

Poached%20Eggs%20with%20Zucchini%20and%2

Farm fresh eggs, laid yesterday.  Poached and served with tomatoes, zucchini, shaved parmesan and prosciutto.

A recent breakfast.

Chicken%20Katsu%20Don%20April%2029th%2C%

Chicken Katsu Don with onions and eggs.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 4

image.jpg

Just made malt loaf with cream cheese.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Unpopular Poet, Please do not take this the wrong way, I 'm just interested.   I don't understand why one would choose to cook an egg for 90 minutes when a perfectly cooked egg can be had in a fraction of that time. 

That said , your egg does look perfect..

~Ann

Unpopular Poet, Please do not take this the wrong way, I 'm just interested.   I don't understand why one would choose to cook an egg for 90 minutes when a perfectly cooked egg can be had in a fraction of that time. 

~Ann

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/sous-vide-101-all-about-eggs.html might help explain why.

• Like 1

Ann - Soba is right -- I cooked it sous vide for 90 minutes -- I basically doubled the normal 45 minutes I use for a standard hen egg at 142...the results were sublime.  I do have to say however, that the cost benefit analysis of duck egg vs. goose egg dictates that in the future I will just have 2 duck eggs, as fun as the goose egg was.  I bought them at my local farmer's market for the price of $3 each.  The duck eggs go for $7 a dozen.  I found the flavor to be equally as delicious as a duck egg.

~Ann

I kind of have the same feelings.  Even after reading the article provided I really don't see that much difference. Most meals involving eggs, especially for breakfast, I fairly quick and simple meal that can be ready-to-eat in a relatively short period of time. Of course there are certain dishes that use eggs such as soufflés had to take a good bit of time to prepare but what I'm talking about here is just a basic egg dish like most of us prefer for breakfast. I really don't see any advantage to cooking the eggs slowly at a set temperature at home for meals, and a restaurant situation it may be something completely different. Like you, I'm not criticizing the people who do it nor their reasoning, I just don't see it something happening in our home. SV deftly has its place in home cooking but not for eggs in my opinion.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Some people find that it's easier to overcook eggs prepared via say, hard-cooking/hard-boiling than via sous vide. Just throwing that out there by way of explanation.

And can I add that just as a fried egg is not a poached egg is not a boiled egg so a sous vide egg is unique in texture. That's its appeal to me.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

My interpretation of a Thai spicy, fried-egg salad. A lovely way to wake up one's taste buds.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

"""   I really don't see any advantage to cooking the eggs slowly at a set temperature at home for meals  '''

I do them in bulk.  1 - 2 doz at a time..  rapid chill  dry and them back into the cartons and the refrig.

they reheat in hot tap water etc and I can fiddle w the espresso machine etc in the am and still have a 'perfect' egg or two

also all ready for C.Salad.

and once you study SV eggs and get that set point for the yolk to your liking, it will always turn out that way

as AnnaN said, its just another way to do eggs.

• Like 2

sunny eggs over fried potatoes and toast.   dash of Nanami Togarashi

GEDC4463_zps0fbd8d91.jpg

GEDC4464_zpsd5ac7850.jpg

Edited by Ashen (log)
  • Like 4

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow